Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ability to import ChangFa engine to USA  (Read 4715 times)

1868ccMGB

• View Profile
Ability to import ChangFa engine to USA
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
Hey guys- first post. I have done some searching on the internet about importing engines, but my info is a little cloudy.

Is it possible to import one or two Chinese diesels to the USA? I know from a retail standpoint they don't pass emissions.

Has anybody found a cost effective way to get these? Shipping quotes on alibaba are almost three times the cost of the engines!

Thanks for the help!

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Ability to import ChangFa engine to USA
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
I am sure there is a work around somewhere but it likely isn't easy. Declaring it as parts and having it partially disassembled is the only way I can think of. I imported my Lister CS and the antique status was very important in the ease of processing the customs paperwork. The Customs agent specifically looked at the age and documented serial number before signing off on the paperwork. If you bring in a whole engine and it is documented as an engine you do have to file paperwork with the EPA. Had my engine been newer than the threshold for Pre-EPA engines it would NOT have been cleared and allowed in.

Yes, international freight can be expensive. The ocean freight itself is pretty cheap but you have to have an agent in both the outbound and inbound Countries and here in the US you need a broker to file your ISF paperwork and bond if necessary. All of those fees are what add up. There are companies that can handle if from seller to doorstep for you but you pay dearly for that service.

The Changfa's do pop up for sale occasionally. Maybe best to be on the look out for one already here. I have seen a few offered up for sale on this forum, some of them new/unused.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
+1  Dismantle and bring in as personal property if you can. Next best would be to bring in as parts. A customs broker can save you some headache as well. Any way you cut it, it is complicated and fraught with expenses and a certain amount of risk. Almost 50% of our Cost of Goods for the import stuff is tied up in import duties/fees/shipping/brokerage and so on.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »
" Almost 50% of our Cost of Goods for the import stuff is tied up in import duties/fees/shipping/brokerage and so on."
  Dieselgman

That's a fact. I have imported a 6/1 from Europe and a truck from Japan. Final cost in both instances was about double (or more) than the original cost of the item.
In the case of the truck, it was still a very good deal IMHO. The 6/1 got caught in a container fumigation kerfuffle and it cost me a lot......not including the usual agents, brokers, duties, taxes, etc.
Beware, and line up your ducks before a purchase.
BTW, I;m in Canada, so we are able to import these engines legally......still, the shipping/import costs are a killer.
Cheers,
Hugh
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:42:39 PM by Hugh Conway »
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

1868ccMGB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:53:13 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I did find a supplier that ships the engine with the tank, muffler, air filter, and a few other parts separate from the crank case. Not sure if that classifies it as non-operational but the seller says no concern. I am trying to figure out how to ship this by boat, maybe it will cost less to ship.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:14:42 AM »
ANY engine imported into the USA requires EPA certification or exemption and at Port of Entry this can be problematic if you have not prepared all paperwork and jumped through all of their hoops. Very few exemptions remain now. I would not trust any seller who claims otherwise. We ship most of our heavy iron via ocean freight. Air-freight is crazy expensive to do.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I did find a supplier that ships the engine with the tank, muffler, air filter, and a few other parts separate from the crank case. Not sure if that classifies it as non-operational but the seller says no concern. I am trying to figure out how to ship this by boat, maybe it will cost less to ship.

I would be weary of any seller that says no problem. Once they sell you the engine and ship it they are done. If it gets hung up in customs it is all on you to work out, if it can be worked out. There is nothing they can do from the other end. What is their refund policy?

The items you listed would not make it non-operational, those are considered accessories. You would need to dismantle part of the engine itself and I think specifically the injector will need to be removed.

To ship by boat you will need to find a shipping agent in the country of origin that organizes LCL loads. That is where the fees start. You will also need an agent on this end to file paperwork and clear the shipment with Customs. You can self clear at the port but some of the paperwork is required to be filed by a broker.

Are they offering to ship it air freight? How much? Figure at a minimum $500 for ocean freight, agent/brokerage fees, and port fees for sea freight. The air freight may be cheaper on a single shipment and is an expedited process with fewer fingers in the pot.

1868ccMGB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »
Bronco - I agree with you. I wanted the cylinder head and crank shipped separately from the crankcase/block. Import it as spare parts. I did get the seller to quote delivery by boat - "the sea shipping cost would be 198$ for the package. the shipping time will be around 45 days to reach the port". That's a lot more manageable than the $1100 air freight!

As I dug around on Craigslist two days ago, I found a guy selling Military surplus 9HP Onan diesels for $600. He is only about an hour from me. As neat as having a big single cyl diesel would be, it sure doesn't sound practical to get one.

Thank you all for your input. The $200 boat delivery is sure tempting, but the customs clearance is more than I care to deal with.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
"the sea shipping cost would be 198$ for the package. the shipping time will be around 45 days to reach the port". That's a lot more manageable than the $1100 air freight!

Just for clarification that is just the shipping (ocean freight) part. You still have port fees on this end. Destination, devan, and ancillary charges on this end were about $250 at Port of NY on my shipment. If you aren't picking up at the port of entry you then have an additional transfer or forwarding fee to get it to the port closest to you.

I am not trying to dissuade you just prepare you that thet $198 is only half of the final cost.

The Onan is likely a better deal as you will then have local parts support. Anything you would need for a changfa type would need to come from China.