Puppeteer

Author Topic: Gib key removal tool  (Read 16331 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Gib key removal tool
« on: July 25, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »
I placed some pictures in the gallery (under rleonard2) of the gib key puller and use.  It worked for me.  One broke loose with a "crack" then it was free.  I had soaked them in penetrating oil for several days before using the tool.

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=7
http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=8
http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=9
http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=10

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Gib key removal tool
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 05:56:47 PM »
Nice design, Bob!

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 07:07:12 PM »
Bruce, I cannot take the credit for that.  I borrowed it from my Amish Lister dealer friend.  If someone wants to make one, this is an idea for a start.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »
Thing of beauty. Over engineered tools to work on underengineered machines. My brother built a key puller from some scrap material that could be duplicated for no more than the cost of a few nuts, bolts and beads of weld. I'll try to get the pics posted in the next couple of days. Cheers

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »
Here are the pics of the key puller made from scrap material. Specifications or perhaps a CAD drawing could be available if someone should have the need.

[img]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k294/Twinscrew/199be380.jpg[/img

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 06:59:10 PM »
Shame, using a channel locks as a hammer to beat on a socket.  ;D ;D ;D
I have never done that.  ;)

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
I forgot to give credit where due. This puller was designed and built by gpkull. It worked well on both his 24/2 as well as our fathers 12/1. You'll see an electric impact gun in one or more of the photos. This is shown as an example of what not to use. Never use an impact on a puller. Not only does it typically wipe out the threads in short order, it creates the potential for the project to turn painfull and colorful in about a split seconds time. :o  Slow and steady is always the rule when using puller. That being said, build and use this, or any puller for that matter, with care. Cheers........

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 07:19:49 PM »
Shame, using a channel locks as a hammer to beat on a socket.

Again, an example of what not to do. My brother is a master of this art. ;D

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 11:51:49 PM »
tks bro . i would change the bolts to 1/2 20 cause the threads on the 7/16 bolts were getting quite knackered. would spread the pattern of the top 2 just a smidge to accept a bigger bolt/nut combo. when whipped up i was worried about the bolt going off the ledge of the flywheel NOT A PROB. also if you hold the bolt and turn the nut with a wrench [a lot easier said than done] your chances of running the bolt off the ledge or step are greatly reduced.  clean the tree sap from the keyway [thats what it smelt like] dremel w/wire brush is what i used. PLEASE mark your gibs at the flywheel FIRST. when reinstalling make damn sure your mark is where it was before you took it out if not buried when you pound the gib back in. 24/2 one wheel walking off crank after bal. same same w/ 12/1. dont bet the farm on the solid sound upon reinstalling. no damage was done but dont want to find out. the key never flew out [ouch] both engines it was going with the flywheel for a walk. the crank sticks out a good ways for the aux pulley and start handle so it is easy to see it happening. my experience was within 30 sec. it was happening. after 10min of no movement all was good. pops got 10 or so hours playing and loading the st no probs. maybe some tree sap in the grove when done wouldnt be   a bad thing or even when putting back together.             happy listering   later

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 01:09:18 AM »
The "Indian Loctite" appears to be red rosin made from pine trees. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case a penetrant may be helpful when trying to remove the keys. A couple of applications the day before would probably do the trick. Turpentine would be solvent, as it also comes from pines. However, any light hydrocarbon would probably suffice. If anyone knows for sure, do tell.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:20:03 AM »
They have Pine trees in India?

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 03:09:04 AM »
They have Pine trees in India?

Well, if they have brand new engines that are full of sand, I suppose anything is possible.