Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

custom ST generator heads.

<< < (2/3) > >>

quinnf:
Ok, Steve, you got me.  I shouldn't have said "any" diesel. 

My point was/is, made in the context of this forum, where the subject is old-fashioned slow speed single and odd-firing twin cylinder engines with huge displacement/power ratios that apply enormous torque for their size to the load.  Direct coupling such an engine to an ST-something generator with a reconfigured rotor, which is what the original post was proposing, isn't (just my opinion) a worthwhile proposition, given that the losses inherent in driving the generator with a serpentine belt are very small.   ;)

Quinn

trigzy:
Agreed on all points.  How about a chain drive?  Any issues??

SHIPCHIEF:
Chain drive needs oil, and is probably noisy. Serp belt is great. As soon as you see one work you'll be hooked :)
Scott E

quinnf:
Chain has real advantages for DIYers.  Transmits about 98% of the power to the load and as long as it's not too closely coupled, has good shock absorbing properties.  It's readily found in many sizes, is cheap and easy to work with, available in any length, truly modular. 

However, if you look at how power is transmitted in industrial settings you will find that cogged and flat belts (not lossy v-belts) are the standard for delivering power, and have been for many years.  Chain is used mostly for low speed applications.  As a further indication of the direction power transmission is moving, note that more new street motorcycles are appearing with belt or shaft drive.  Less maintenance (no oiling, smoother operation), and don't wear out expensive sprockets.

Quinn

Stan:
They recently tore down an immense (largest in N. America, maybe the world) Silver/Lead/zink concentrator in my hometown (the Sullivan mine).  I was priveleged to get a tour by a lifetime worker (now retired).  When I commented on the drive mechanism that coupled the immense electric motors (larger than a VW Van) which drove the crushers he just laughed.  They used 1" manilla rope, tied in loops as drive belts, sometimes fifteen or more of them on a single crusher pulley.  He explained that the pulses caused by large chunks of ore being crushed destroyed even the most complex and high tech couplers/clutches but when the crusher jammed or destroyed the ropes, they just smoked (thereby signalling another $5 replacement part).  He also maintained that many of the rope "belts" lasted many months in the worst environment you could imagine.  Sometimes KISS is better!
Stan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version