Author Topic: A Little Rant about eBay parts  (Read 3677 times)

guest23837

A Little Rant about eBay parts
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
So I ordered a new AVR for my little generator seller Location London UK. The item took ages to arrive posted from China. Of course it was the wrong one, had the wrong plug, wrong rating etc. Too cheap and too much hassle to return it so I bought another AVR from a UK seller that offers a buy and collect service. This appears to be the only way to get stuff that's genuinely in the UK so my advice is if you can't click and collect don't buy! I also ordered a brush box from "Wolverhampton" it didn't arrive so I contacted the seller. He asked me to send him a photograph of the package! Not easy when nothing arrived. I don't mind paying for stuff and I expect a little delay between UK and Ireland for posting but some idiot saying "postage from China take 45 working days thank you for understanding" when it's sold as being next door. Of course the estimated delivery time quoted is always Royal Mail UK-Ireland and eBay don't give a rodent's rectum as long as they get their cut. Grrr
I don't have a problem with Chinese products the Chinese made my telephone, television, kettle etc it's the foboffery and delay I object to. 45 working days for a generator part is nonsense OK I don't actually NEED a generator and I have a few in any case but if you really needed one 8 weeks is a long wait to watch a movie or have a cup of coffee.
Rant over

Oiler

• View Profile
Re: A Little Rant about eBay parts
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:16:42 AM »
That is exactly why I never buy anything from the chineese anymore. I'd rather pay twise the price to get it from a local dealer.
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

guest23837

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »
Heres something else that irritates me about eBay. If I sell something on ebay it's always posted signed for, I have to give the name of the postal service or courier and a tracking number that the system checks or appears to. Chinese sellers send tracking numbers that mean nothing and aren't related to any courier or postal service, must be a business seller thing

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »
Just wait until you try to send stuff TO China!

I sent a package, only A4 sized and maybe 1/4" thick, just a pile of papers. Sent it with UPS I think (one of the couriers anyway), express 3-day service.

5 WEEKS later, it arrived.

It cost nearly £70 to send.

I was fuming...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

guest23837

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »
I live in Ireland so buy local usually means buying Chinese goods at Danish prices so it pays to buy from the UK a lot of the time. eg 5kw brush box €19.99 plus €4.99 P&P locally £4.99 plus £4.00 P&P from the UK. I don't think the quality of the items varies a whole lot as they are all made in China anyway. It's the guy in China that uses his 5th cousins takeaway's English address to register as a UK seller that irritates me.
None of the things I been buying are worth a lot but I want then reasonably soon not weeks away.
This is the latest message I got

dear buyer, i am sorry to hear that you have not received the item. it must blocked on the way,
ple do not worry, i will check for you now.
thanks for your patience and understanding.
have a nice day.

guest23837

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:05:38 PM »
Just wait until you try to send stuff TO China!

I sent a package, only A4 sized and maybe 1/4" thick, just a pile of papers. Sent it with UPS I think (one of the couriers anyway), express 3-day service.

5 WEEKS later, it arrived.

It cost nearly £70 to send.

I was fuming...

£70.00 ouch!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 11:08:46 PM »
I also buy a significant amount of stuff from EBay and other online stores. It really gets up my nose when they list an item as `in stock` when they don`t have any. I waited three months for a set of lawn mower blades, the vendor finally admitted that they were out of stock and gave me a refund. A look on their web site still shows the blades as in stock and ready for immediate dispatch!

Another piece of advice is to only ever pay with PayPal. I recently received a refund of $116 from them for a purchase that never arrived.

Happy surfing
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:33 PM »
Hi AdeV, why are you sending papers by mail, couldn`t you scan them and send them electronically?
70 quid, ouch.
Bob

guest23837

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 11:29:49 PM »
I just spent an hour looking at stuff on amazon.co.uk. It's slightly clearer that some items are coming from overseas. I assume they are the same Chinese sellers that are on eBay? I think my next generator will be brushless. Obviously if I do the capacitor will be faulty and I will be back on the Internet trying to find a UK seller that actually speaks some English and maybe even lives there!

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi AdeV, why are you sending papers by mail, couldn`t you scan them and send them electronically?
70 quid, ouch.

Hi Bob,

It was supporting documentation for a Visa application - which means it all has to be original, no copies/electronic versions allowed.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 12:05:21 AM »
Hi AdeV, that makes sense now. Had to do the same for my immigration from the UK to Australia. Thankfully I only had to take the documents to the Australian embassy in London.

Bob

guest23837

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
My message to seller : Can you tell me why you said this item was in the UK when it's obviously not in the UK and can you explain why the tracking number is a fake number. Thank you for understanding

Sellers reply: ! Dear buyer , I will check it and reply you later take patient please ,thank

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
eBay is one of my hero's.  When you live in the middle of the ocean and technology was once spelled R A D I O Shack until it went broke you then can truly appreciate eBay.  Coupled with cheapish shipping by the United States Postal Service we didn't miss the great shopping found in modern cities on the mainland of the US.  Unfortunately the conservative movement overwhelming the United States at this time is gutting all government programs including those that many of us took national pride in until just a few years ago.

I can still remember the day I found not one but two NOS carbs for a TMK leaf blower that had been out of production for 20 years.  Wow!  And it's still running after 30 years of service.  Thank you eBay.

And the six pack of air filters for the Husqvarna mower for the price of just one from the dealer.  Very nice hit; Thank you, eBay.

Now if we could search on just the stupid words we put in the search query box. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
Same as that, Casey.

Sure there's scammers, twats and lowlifes on eBay, but if you use the system it's pretty fair.

I've been caught once by the 45 day rule, school fees paid, and since then I've had eBay side with me often enough to cover the loss.

Living in the French Pyrenees is limiting if you are looking for the unusual (Wine and cheese are plentiful and cheap!) and eBay.fr is a shadow of the US and UK versions, the Land Rover spares I order direct from Craddocks in the UK (across the board nearly always cheaper than the web). Occasionally I use Leboncoin, like Ebay crossed with Craigslist, the rest is Ebay.

And I've no complaints at all.....

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

guest23837

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »
I dont really have a problem with eBay I have used it almost 700 times in 5 years I have only ever had bad experiences with Chinese sellers and twice with Africans that wanted to send more than the asking price for an item I was selling. I didn't take up their generous offers as I pointed out just send a cheque for the correct amount when it clears you'll get your item and appropriate feedback. Paypal isn't perfect but it beats the tar out of Western Union!

As an aside I ordered a new brush box from a UK seller on Tuesday morning it arrived in Ireland on Friday thats a great service