Author Topic: SL3 6.5KVA 1961  (Read 3233 times)

1500RPM

• View Profile
SL3 6.5KVA 1961
« on: December 27, 2017, 05:41:54 PM »
Hello fellow Lister engine owners
 I acquired this model -3 cylinder air cooled SL3 - at auction (£90) 2 years ago for my son.
He hasn't collected it so I thought I would get it up and running(again)
I have seen it run and it sounded fine.
My mechanical knowledge is sparse but I like learning so ....
The unit has a starter handle and electric start although this isn't connected(yet)
the unit has a number of switches above the generator to adjust the voltage
the wiring is in a mess and it needs sorting out- the electric starter motor has no wiring
to it and there is no battery with the unit so advice on size and amp age required would be great.
This is why I am here, has anyone here go the same set up?
Doe anyone have wiring diagrams for this model?
There is no fuel tank connected to the unit and I would like to know what kind of
fuel usage I can expect when under full load and if there are anything I should be aware of when connecting the tank
I have a waste vegetable oil source and read with interest about using this as a fuel.
it would need to be filtered and dried I imagine and if there are links to this information
please point me in its direction!
I have another 3.5 Kva  trolly mounted unit- but its a Petter so I will post for information on that in the correct section.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: SL3 6.5KVA 1961
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »
I don't know a thing about the SL3, except it will very likely want to be run on regular diesel, at least to start and test, and once it's running, think about playing with alternate fuels.
 Good Luck

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:05:52 PM »
G`Day 1500RPM. I rebuilt an ST2 a while back got all the parts sent to Australia by Dieselgman who runs Diesel Electric in the USA. He has stocks of most Lister parts and a library of user and workshop manuals.
My twin delivers 7KVA  so your going to be looking at around 10KVA from a triple. It might even be 3 phase. There is a very knowledgeable fellow called Lucien Nunes on one of the UK stationary engine forums (Don`t remember which) he helped a lot with the Startomatic wiring on my unit.
Any chance of a photo?

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:54:48 AM »
The SL3 is no powerhouse at 1500 rpm from memory they are only about 12 hp.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
/\ and also can be difficult for OEM parts as well, as they have a surprisingly large amount of internal parts that are unique to the SL range.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:19:21 AM »
Where I can`t say for sure that an SL engine will run on WVO,   LDs,SRs,STs and Petter PAZ 1 s run fine on WVO.    The only limitation found is the ability of the fuel filter to allow sufficient flow to the IP.
Discarding the usual paper fuel filter element and fitting a cheapo plastic mesh type inline fuel filter seems to resolve flow issues. 

15-C ambient and above seems fine on straight filtered WVO,  cooler ambient temps sometimes require a proportion of diesel/kero/gasoline adding to the WVO to enable reliable (hand) starting,  the percentage varies from engine to engine,  one that is a poor starter on diesel fuel will be very difficult with WVO at cooler temps. 

As everyone knows, filtration of the WVO prior to use is of major importance especially when using the inline plastic mesh filters,  mine is filtered through a 1 micron  air filter sock.   

Mark.