Author Topic: more blasphemous solar . . .  (Read 5697 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: more blasphemous solar . . .
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 04:07:19 AM »

Okey-dokey

let me refer to a previously-discussed water-heating device.  see pics?

In the one with the pipes you are looking at the stubs of the wetback plumbing, the 40mm BSP galv bends, the copper pipe and the "starkie" unions attached to the wetback.  I designed and built the wetback myself, making it out of 10mm 316 stainless.  It is specifically sized to heat the contents of a (standard) 180-litre hot-water cylinder over what I think might be the average evening "burn" for a fire like this, five hours.  it's the product of the evolution of three previous wetbacks I have used over 30-odd years and the experience gained in running them.  I figure 180L of water at about 90 degrees is an optimum result - the cylinder is in no danger of boiling and I don't have to run hot water to waste.

In the one with the ugly circular register, the funny-looking copper-coloured hinge pis and the odd latch, what you are looking at is the firebox door (in its functional-but-unfinished stages).  the components of the latch are essentially the 14mm threaded stub off am Hitachi angle grinder and its disc-retaining nut.  I have used these items for all sorts of applications where the conditions are a bit harsh and have found that - whatever alloy they are made from - it's durable and never rusts, seizes up, gets burred over time or anything like that.  plus I enjoy recycling them as they come from dead grinders

There is a lot of years of experience behind the placement of the register at the point it is situated in the door in relation to the height of the grate etc etc, and there's a whole 'nother story around the hinges and pins and their material - as there is in the whole stove and the selection of 10mm, 12mm and 16mm mild and corten steel in the build of its many parts

but we'd be here all day . . .

The point I am making is I am quite capable of making a "better" hot water heater . . .

BUT I derive a lot of enjoyment from my "free" shower from something I knocked up one afternoon in the workshop when the boss was away, which cost almost nothing, has no moving parts and works really well

As you say, each to his own :)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »
Oh,  You're that guy.  I like your stoves too and KISS works for me.  Sometimes I forget we're sharing and not looking how to improve cold fusion or whether 42 is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything (this also works for me).

I'd suggest that reading an engineering document or some long winded thread are somewhat different.  But I must say this about the almost cruel responses to the admission that some of us don't always read everything that is put in front of us.  I come here for fun.  Not to be reminded that I'm becoming challenged.  More challenged each year.  The one or two times I've flirted with being nasty - I apologize.  The many times I've been "Wow!"ed - Thank you very much.  For the rest of time - Thanks, I really enjoy reading and sometimes seeing people that are on the march with their own lives. 

Aloha
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 10:09:35 PM »
I think  this revolves around the poor sods that live in a built up area as opposed to us lucky ones who live in the sticks. Here we can throw a coil of alkathene on the roof, take 10 minutes with a few Hanson fittings and have a hot shower shortly after.
The "city" dwellers have things like neighburs and councils and need to be socially acceptable, and cant have any exposed  outdoor shower or running around wet and naked. How to explain that when the police are called by that snowflaker next door.
They need to have a private cubical, a tidy solar heater on the roof, and spend far more time and money to satisfy the status quo, of what is considered acceptable behaviour in suburbia.
Good one Mike, thats a method been used down here since alkathene pipe was invented.
We also learned to toot the car horn first  when  visiting unexpectedly.... likely an outside shower, naked sunbathing or toilet may be in use.....
Redneck etiquette.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 10:24:49 PM »
Actually, Starfire, I just plumb the hot water into the inside shower cubicle which has several sets of taps - depending on which hot water supply is in use

The first year up there I was "camping" with the outside shower and longdrop toilet behind an old blue Warehouse tarp - always dodgy on a windy day - NOBODY needs to see a 60-year old person nude IMHO

And, yes, up here we always "toot" when visiting lol

i was down your way last week - we detoured to the West Coast and had a night at Blackball on the way to the Mike Pero racing at Levels.  Not as good as the Hampton downs stuff because he doesn't do a BEARS class and that's where you get all the good David-v-Goliath stuff

Catchya

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
And of course the ultimate in luxury is the outdoor bathtub, with the fire under it, not something you would find in a typical suburb. Complete with essentials , like magazines, radio, and towel on the ready on a low hanging branch, slab of wood to sit on to prevent the burned bum, and a torch if its happening at night.
You visited the Blackball Hilton I take it? After the Hilton family sued, it had a name change, its now called "Formerly the Blackball Hilton"...... I should mention that in case Paris comes a knocking.
I live around 12ks from Blackball Mike, you would have driven past me..... its been bloody hot down here....

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »
We're not quit in the sticks but when no one is around I am the Supreme Commander.  I wonder why men are more prone to wander around the house or yard naked than females?  They're better designed for stripped down operation.

The trees have caught up with the panels on the roof so this week will include precise chain saw intervention.  We're just starting our best three months of solar - it's the dry season.  They're 240s.  When we can double the output per square foot we'll go off grid.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:05:47 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245