Puppeteer

Author Topic: Pour a concrete base as per Lister instructions.  (Read 26561 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Re: Pour a concrete base as per Lister instructions.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 01:13:12 PM »
Now thats one hell of a mount. Pics please. I'm not sure how much (or if its feasible) concrete you would need to really isolate vibration but my 2600lb. block isn't enough to prevent some minor rattling of a kitchen cabinet door that doesn't close tight 40' away. If I press my ear up against the basement wall I can feel/hear it. The block is isolated about 3" from the garage slab and there is a breezeway between the garage and the house which further isolates the house a bit. A heavy, solid mount is certainly good for the engine but there are ramifications.
Thanks, Geno

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 02:56:05 PM »
Has anyone considered lining the bottom and sides of their concrete form with several inches of recycled tire mulch? The stuff is very spongy when several inches thick.  It is commonly used in playgrounds and would probably make a very good isolater. Just a thought.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »
http://community.webshots.com/photo/2910061440028237237bfpyQF

Hole is ready....

I ran into a hell of a problem....the big square just behind the hole is the well head.  It's a hot artesian well that blew out around the casing when drilled.  They put 12 yards of concrete around the casing to fill in the hole and later poured the pumphouse floor on top of it.   Swinging a sledgehammer inside a building for a guy 6'4" is hard work!!  I broke two pair of saftey glasses, too.

Half my engine base will be on that concrete and half on the yard plus I'm about to pour.  More pics as more progress happens.  I've got to drill the well plug for five of the eight hold-down bolts today.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 03:25:34 PM »
Instead of bolting your framerails down, why cant you just cement them right in? Just leaving enough sticking out to bolt the engine to.Avoid the grouting step.Just wondering..

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 08:35:14 AM »
i would imagine that is near impossible to get the rails dead level in all planes, and have them stay as the concrete cures.

my references state that the base concrete should be poored, with mounting studs, then the bed plate/frame is leveled over the studs,
shimmed to level and grouted in.

then attach the motor to the bedplate or frame

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info