Author Topic: Lister 12/2 Rebuild Update  (Read 7316 times)

Samo

• View Profile
Re: Lister 12/2 Rebuild Update
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I'll ramp the attack on this stubborn COV using some of your suggested approaches as @Starfire indicated I don't have anything to lose. The end game if all else fails is a new head.

I looked online for Plusgas but it seems only to be available in the UK  :(
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 11:27:41 PM »
Apparently a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid works just as well..... I've never tried that one, as I never seem to have any acetone around, and since I've stopped driving Fords, I don't need ATF either  :laugh:
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJR6UB8hpgc
Here's a video of the 12/2 startup, you can see the left side has a compression issue, plus that repaired flywheel definitely has a balance issue. So I've got a bit more work to do once I get set up at the new place....

Samo

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Nice one!

It's always good when the 'first smoke' goes noisy, no matter how rough she runs, then comes the fettling, one of the more enjoyable parts of the job IMHO.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »
You could use the old smoke wrench on the COV as a last resort, I've blown twisted off and stripped studs out of cast iron exhaust manifolds that way. The steel will "burn" in an oxy stream, the cast iron, not so much.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 04:54:12 AM »
Any update Samo?
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 01:40:21 PM »
The latest update is that I've tried to find a flywheel  to replace the repaired one that's been butchered but no luck. So in the end I've bought a second 12/2 that's not in good shape and will borrow the flywheels and maybe a few other parts from it to finish this engine. Unfortunately I can't pick it up until August, there's a small matter of 300km of water separating us - It's on the mainland and I'm in Tasmania.

I've not been able to get the COV out yet. Tried some more heat cycles and a large lever but to no avail. I think I'll recon one of the heads from the newly acquired engine if I can't unstick it by August.

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »
Samo,

On that head, you might try removing it and putting it in the oven for an hour or so at 400 - 500 degrees.  (The wife will love it!)  Be sure to clean as much oil off of it first as it will smoke A LOT.  Put it in with the oven cool and allow it warm up as the oven does.  "Bake" it good.  Remove it from the oven and quickly bolt it back onto the engine so its well secured as you're reefing on it.  Put a large wrench on the COV and hopefully it will give.

If it still won't budge, then repeat the process but this time try using some dry ice to quickly cool ONLY the change over valve while the head is still really hot.  Keep the dry ice away from the iron because you don't want to crack it.  The ice will shrink the valve and that might be enough to get it to let go.

That's what I'd do.

Good luck!

Steve

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 05:54:10 AM »
I have used heat. Just heat, and heat then squirt some pentrating oil on the subject while it is cooling.  Theory is it draws the oil deeper in the joint. Heating and cooling cycles help. I have memories of nothing worked! Good luck!
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA