Puppeteer

Author Topic: Identify this Bamford?  (Read 15551 times)

basewindow

• View Profile
Identify this Bamford?
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
Hi all.

Can anyone identify this Bamford Stationary engine?

Have the opportunity to pick it up here in Oz but dont know much about them. Has original water tank and original cardboard operation/instruction  page. Did a quick google search but there doesn't seem to be much info or spare parts at least here in oz. Its $300.

Cheers
Cam
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Identify this Bamford?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:52:28 PM »
Looks similar to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgR0QtnFOuo

Unfortunately the description doesn't have a model number, but I guess you could ask him on YT?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »
Ended up getting the Bamford.

Its a 3.5hp SD.

Turns over and has compression.

1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:19:29 AM »
Ended up getting the Bamford.

Its a 3.5hp SD.

Turns over and has compression.

Nice machine! 38AC on this forum seems to know a bit about these, (and also owns several). I observed one of his in operation earlier this year and it is a thing of beauty!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
38ac did a great write up on a Bamford restoration here, I've been very impressed with Bamfords (and his restoration work) ever since.  I like the enclosed pushrods and the split case over the crankshaft. 

Good luck with your Bamford, BaseWindow, it's a lovely machine!

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
Well I'll have to get onto 38ac, because i dont know much about them and dont have a workshop manual yet. Think ill start with a good cleaning (Which I've already started on the exterior ) and then crack her open and see what's inside...

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 11:05:40 PM »
Started on the SD today. Good external clean up, lots of old grease and oil build up. My main worry was the fuel pump having gummed up and stuck with old diesel and the injector.

Stripped off the fuel system starting at the filter, which was of course dry but in a clean and surprisingly good condition. 

Removed CAV pump and linkages. The pump rack was stiff, but after a good soaking in diesel loosened up. After a bit of gentle coaxing the bottom spring loosened and all parts began to move freely.

Injector out next. Dirty but looked ok. Again a soak in diesel and clean up.

All pipes cleaned and unblocked.

A quick check inside the crank case via the door, revealed full of oil at correct level and again in surprisingly good condition. It didnt look like 20 year old oil or sludge at all.

It actually looked like it might be a runner.

Connected all the fuel lines, pump and injector. Bled system. Pump was working as expected. After a few cranks of the priming handle i could hear a distinct injector creak. 

So i thought i may as well give it a go. In start position i got the crank spinning and switched to run. A puff of smoke from the exhaust but no start. I tried several times with the same result. The compression seems quite hard, and it only turns over once or twice before it stops once you flick it to run. It doesnt help that the original crank handle is missing and there is a welded metal job that does the trick but not well.

I havent set the fuel timing yet, so that may be an issue and i cant find any marking on the wheels, not even a direction rotation arrow.

Ran out of time to do more, but will get onto it again next week.

Attached photo of original thick cardboard working instructions.

merkland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
From what you describe it would appear that you have the wrong starting handle and you are turning the engine the wrong way, otherwise it should have started.

merkland.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »
Well i thought that as well. Im on the injector pump side rotating clockwise, which i believed was right. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did briefly try the other side but it seemed worse.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
Try squirting a couple of dollops of lube oil down the barrel. If you can make it roll through compression a couple of times with the starting handle off, then it's low on compression. It should almost be like hitting a brick wall (well, maybe not THAT severe....); I can spin my 6-1 up but if I let go the handle & knock the decompression off, it'll only roll through one compression, & bounces off the next. Also, if you can, keep cranking away at the handle* after you've disengaged the decompression. The more compression strokes you can get through, the more heat in the cylinder, the more likely you are to get it to fire.

*PS: Only do this if you've got a proper pawl mechanism on the handle, so if the engine spins faster than the handle, the crank rotates inside the handle. If they're locked together, you'll be in big sh*t if the handle's still on when it fires...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »
Hi all, Somehow I missed this thread earlier.  An SD type is high on my list of wanted things but they are not to be found in the states.
You are cranking it the correct direction, clockwise on the fuel pump side. The handle can be used on either side by removing and turning the ratchet pawl in the handle. As Ade said be sure the shaft and handle are oiled. The handle should turn freely and reversed other than the click when the paw passes over the keyway.  A bit of oil in the cylinder will raise compression and help starting. A VERY SMALL amount of starting fluid will also help. DO NOT spray it in the intake at close range! Stand back a couple feet and give it a quick spray or better yet spray a small amount on a rag and have a helper hold the rag over the intake as you crank.  Parts for any Bamford engine are tough finds, I make everything I put in them. Be carefull with it and good luck.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Its definitely got plenty of compression. One stroke though then bounces off the next. Pretty much like hitting a wall as you say going without the handle.

Yes unfortunately the original crank handle is gone, but has a home made welded type job which is a half circle with a lip and  handle. It does work ok but tends to come off a bit too easily once you get much momentum happening. Which I guess is a good thing, as you say if it fires up. The Lister crank handle is too small.

I'll try the oil down the barrel to see if this helps also have a look at the fuel timing.

Im going to strip it down completely anyway but just wanted to see if she ran.

I'm going to have to be careful with this one as well, because as you say  parts seem to be as rare as hens teeth over here.

I particularly liked this unit as it has history in the local area, according to the guy i got it from, being originally from a local dairy powering their lighting until mains arrived. Sold to local farmer for his farm until mains arrived.

Cheers

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
Well I really didnt get much time to work on the Bamford this weekend, but for sure that heavy beast isn't going anywhere!

Replaced the fuel line between the filter and pump as the old one was perished and leaking. Replaced the inlet to the pump with a bango fitting i had left over from the Lister rebuild, as it had a slow leak as well. Gave it a bit more of a clean.

For those in the know with these machines, there is a silver wheel on the inside of where you mount the pump which I assume is for the fuel timing? Anyone know how it goes? How many turns does it go? Which way to advance or retard? 

Cleaned up one flywheel and found some faint timing marks.

Other than that I  ran out of time,  after slashing 6 acres of paddock, which took longer than it should have after Mr. Forgetful, forgot to check the tractor fuel and ran out halfway through. Which required me walking back to the house, only about 1km, to get tools and more fuel. I intended to take the ute bsck rather than walk, only to discover it had a flat tyre. Quick change of tyre, drive down to tractor, fill and bleed fuel lines and finish what i started. It was one of those days!

Well here's a few pics anyway even though not much has changed.

Bottom pic shows the pump mount and silver coloured wheel on the side.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:35:22 AM by basewindow »

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 06:40:16 PM »
Those Bamford engineers were masters of simplicity. Looking at the wheel in question it looks like it may be used for priming. Can the collar on the exposed end of camshaft be rotated to change timing?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »
The lever on the left side of the picture primes. I think the wheel or disc on the right is for fuel timing, just not sure exactly.