Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab  (Read 50641 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
Sodium Hydroxide - common Lye. They use the stuff in hot tanks for cleaning diesel (and automotive) engine blocks. Just mix the powder with water and heat to about 180F. Immerse your block for a few hours, or overnight. It comes out nearly spotless, minus all oil/paint/loose contaminants. Just a little rinsing and drying is required after that.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2018, 04:30:36 AM »
Hi Apogee, Dieselgman is right that a good soak in sodium hydroxide solution is the easiest. I sadly don`t have such a tank so I used a mixture of industrial degreaser and caustic soda, followed up with a pressure washer. Took a couple of goes to get it clean.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
G`Day Gentlemen and Women,
I am sorry I have stalled on my rebuild but doctors(and Wife`s) orders are not to be messed with. Stupid bugger decided not to treat the disk in my neck that is pressing on my spinal cord causing pain in hands and arms, instead he tried to treat the symptoms with Lyrica. For those who have never experienced this drug, it is used to treat epilepsy and nerve pain. You start with a dose of 25Mg per day and work up to 600Mg per day. It is addictive and causes mental instability, suicide and heart failure, it is a treatment of last resort. At a dose of 600Mg it is going to cost $50 per day. I wish I had a video of the look on my doctors face when I pointed out to him that I have already had one heart attack and am seeing a councillor for mental health issues and would rather have the pain than become a zombie.

So back to my build, I have decided that this CS will be coupled to a three phase head to provide power for a lathe and milling machine. I will have to build it a brick enclosure next to my ST2. When I built the enclosure for the ST2 I dug out a deep hole and poured a concrete slab at the bottom, I then used a 100Ltr plastic dustbin as a former and poured a reinforced concrete chamber. This was connected to 8 meters of 3" underground flexible ducting(also set in concrete) which runs down hill to an exhaust. I later cast a concrete slab over this chamber and my ST2 vents into it. (see photo) It is totally silent.

My question is this: would it be ok to rig the CS to vent into the same exhaust system or should I build a separate underground  exhaust?

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »
I'm a fan of underground exhaust systems myself since we did one for my neighbor's propane converted DES 8/1.  Zero exhaust pulse noise due to cooling of exhaust in the earth is a wonderful thing.  We used the "leach field" type which also pretty much removes any exhaust odor as well.

My concern for a two engines in one earth exhaust system is the back-pressure and exhaust leaks in the non-running engine.  It seems to me that if it is tight and well sealed at the joints (I use high temp silicone on all exhaust joints in the engine room.) , it should be OK.  Designing in some sort of way to close off the exhaust to the other engine would be helpful for when one engine must be serviced.  I'm not sure how I'd do that.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:08:01 PM by BruceM »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2018, 05:17:37 PM »
Provide an open outlet port of greater diameter (lesser flow resistance) than the two incoming pipes and backflow should not be an issue.

dieselgman

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »
Provide an open outlet port of greater diameter (lesser flow resistance) than the two incoming pipes and backflow should not be an issue.

dieselgman
Thanks guys. is there a chance that when I am running one engine I will get soot or condensation building up in the other?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
Hey Glort, sounds like they put you on the same sh1t they tried to get me to take. Glad you`ve found something that works for you. Calm is good, tired is bearable, wasted is no fun at all.

I`m thinking about a couple of brass gate valves to separate the non running engine, I think they would easily cope with the heat.

I just scored a Southern Cross diesel engine for nothing. Better still they guy says he will deliver it to me for free. I`ll post a photo when it arrives. Yes I know this is the Lister Engine Forum but an Ozzy icon for free just has to be seen.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2018, 01:59:14 AM »
I have some questions about crankshafts.
1. How much wear is too much wear on the pinion gear? (see photo)
2. The main journals appear to have no discernible wear but one is slightly pitted with rust. Is it serviceable?
3. How is the gear attached to the shaft? It looks like it was probably pressed on or shrunk in place rather than machined out of a single billet. If so could a replacement be found?

Perhaps I should just order a new shaft and know that I`ll get the hours out of it in the future.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2018, 02:25:05 AM »
Sorry Glort, I know nothing more than it`s bloody heavy and the guy said he would have to set up his winch to get it onto his ute. I am as excited as you are to see it.

I know the local solar installer and I asked him to keep his eyes open for barn finds. I am now at capacity for old engines, so if I hear of any I will let you know.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2018, 06:04:28 AM »
Been raining here most of the day so I`ve been trawling the internet looking for a replacement fuel injector pump. I would prefer to keep with CAV or Bryce.

The original damaged pump is a CAV BPF1B70CS6253. On the old engine data sheets this is listed as the correct CAV pump for a CS 6/1. The problem is that when I look at the Bryce data sheets it gives Bryce FBOAB070C6655 or BPF1B070CS6655.

Which is it BPF1B70CS6253 or BPF1B70CS6655?

I have found a Bryce FBOAB070C665_ for sale in the UK for £125. C6655 as opposed to C665 is this the correct pump?

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2018, 06:08:52 AM »

thanks guys. is there a chance that when I am running one engine I will get soot or condensation building up in the other?

When I finish a run with my 6/1, I rotate the flywheel till I hit compression, and that means the valves are closed and will help reduce condensation in the cylinder head. It should also prevent anything from backing up from the running engine

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2018, 06:57:15 AM »
Thanks Mike but I`m not sure how that would work with my ST twin if I was running the CS. The problem is that it is a
 Startomatic so when stopping both decompressor levers automatically engage.

Bob

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
I have some questions about crankshafts.
1. How much wear is too much wear on the pinion gear? (see photo)
2. The main journals appear to have no discernible wear but one is slightly pitted with rust. Is it serviceable?
3. How is the gear attached to the shaft? It looks like it was probably pressed on or shrunk in place rather than machined out of a single billet. If so could a replacement be found?

Perhaps I should just order a new shaft and know that I`ll get the hours out of it in the future.

Bob

1. I would think you would have to determine that by checking the backlash with the idler gear.
2. That looks much better than mine. I am replacing mine. The galvanic corrosion on mine looks to be much deeper and has also pitted the pinion gear severely. You are likely within limits.
3. The gear is shrink fit over a straight knurl. It is a bear to get off. I made a custom puller and heated everything up and it took quite a bit of force to get off. I searched high and low for a replacement gear, even contacted a couple of the Indian manufacturers, they are not available. I have spoken to a gear manufacturer and will likely have one made just to save the crank as a backup.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2018, 09:35:36 PM »
Thanks Broncodriver99, pretty much what I thought. Shame the pinion gear is not available, would have been easy to cut the old one off with a gas axe and press a new one onto the shaft.
I think I will dress up the existing one and then make an offset pivot for the idler gear to reduce the backlash.

Bob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2018, 11:55:50 PM »
The gears are available - just a bit obscure because only the crankshaft forging folks will be using them during crank assembly. I think my supplier can source them though.

dieselgman