Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab  (Read 50681 times)

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 6/1 as form of rehab
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2018, 12:28:56 AM »
The gears are available - just a bit obscure because only the crankshaft forging folks will be using them during crank assembly. I think my supplier can source them though.

dieselgman

I asked about one a while back. ? So, can you get them?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2018, 03:32:05 AM »
Non-stock item, but I believe I had looked for them before. At least once I have pulled one for a client. If wanted/needed, that can be found for certain. They are in current production and use in India! They certainly want your dollars! What is uncertain at this time is how long it may take to get one in hand.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:38 AM »
The gears are available - just a bit obscure because only the crankshaft forging folks will be using them during crank assembly. I think my supplier can source them though.

dieselgman

Hi Gary, I would certainly be interested in one of these as the crankshaft is well within wear tolerance, so I guess the challenge is how much and how long. Could a pinion gear be shipped direct to me in Australia rather than shipped to you in the USA and then to me?
 Anyone know how to fit one of these, are they a press fit or they heated to shrink onto the shaft? Would heating effect the hardening/tempering of the pinion gear?

Bob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
I have requested them along with our current parts shipment. Not yet confirmed. I have removed them before and that required both heat and a 30-ton press pushed fairly high in its range. This indicates a heated and pressed installation method as well. The trick is to expand the gear without killing all of its hardening temper. Great finesse is called for to avoid overheating and this is why they are generally not messed with outside of original assembly. Proper alignment is the other thing that is sketchy about the job. There is no keyway and no guide marking... you have to get it in place correctly for TDC on the crank to align properly with valve timing.

dieselgman

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
Sound like a very challenging operation. Please let me know when you get delivery.

I am assuming that these are very hard so the old one could probably be removed by cutting most of the way through with a disk grinder and then splitting it with a cold chisel.

Bob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »
Affirmative, the gear is of quite hardened material. I have not tried cracking one loose, but that should work OK as long as you don't have an accident that damages the crankshaft in the process.

dieselgman

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
Affirmative, the gear is of quite hardened material. I have not tried cracking one loose, but that should work OK as long as you don't have an accident that damages the crankshaft in the process.

dieselgman
Thanks Gary, I`ve been splitting bearings off shafts for 30 plus years with no problem, so if this one goes wrong it`s because you put some sort of Dieselgman hex on me. Looking forward to the challenge and I think I can overcome the issue of alignment. Time will tell. The worst that can happen is that I will have to buy a new crankshaft, which is where this conversation started.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2018, 03:21:42 AM »
Hi Guys, haven`t posted much recently, been poorly and will have to go to Brisbane to see a spine surgeon. Don`t know how that`s all going to work out.

On a more positive note I have managed to make some new governor pins. Used 8mm silver steel rod hardened and tempered. Reamed out the holes in the governor weights and camshaft gear. No discernible slop in mechanism  :)

Today I received some 5/8 brass bar to replace the worn plunger in the oil pump. Does anyone know what the original length should be? I have measured what is left of mine and get a length of 3.892 inches. The nearest size in imperial size would be  3 & 29/32 inch (3.90625) very close to 99mm. This would be an odd size to use but I find it hard to believe that the plunger could have worn/deformed from 4inch.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
Well guys and girls, I have finally managed to get a small interim payment, for my injuries, out of an insurance company. It has only taken 16 months!

So today I ordered a few bits with the intention of recommencing my build. I found and have ordered Oilite bushes for the rockers and the camshaft. These are all oversized so they can be machined to match the originals. I have also ordered a length of 35mm cast iron for the other end of the camshaft. I have ordered silver steel in various diameters to manufacture various components to replace worn parts.

It is my intention to follow the example of Deiselspanner and machine the worn ends of the camshaft, before turning the replacement Oilite and cast iron bushes to fit. I have access to a mates lathe and will start to post pictures and progress reports as soon as I get the materials.

Looking forward to making some progress. Not looking forward to pouring concrete and building it a home or explaining to my wife where the money went.

R.I.P Peter,
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
Thanks Glort, you know, from personal experience, what I am learning every day that there are no winners in these situations, only losers. The lawyers make a buck and everybody else gets royally f**cked. I actually feel some sympathy for the lawyers as they have to listen to whinging clients all day while the law determines that they can do little if anything to assist. What it does to their mental health and personal esteem I can only guess at. I have been told that doctors, lawyers and counsellors have some of the highest rates of alcoholism and suicide amongst the professions.

As for the death penalty I`m with you, for those that pray on the weak, innocent, naïve  and infirm there should be no penalty other than death. This is not because I am cruel or bloodthirsty but because I am kind and would like the the money we spend on incarceration and policing  spent on health care, age pensions, educating the young and treating the sick. I`ll happily stand beside you and pull the trigger to eliminate our society of some of it`s worst elements to divert care to some of it`s young, sick and old.
I think that if we could divert just some of the money spent on jailing people to providing mental health care, to the mentally disadvantaged in society, we could reduce the prison population dramatically and ensure safe environments for all our people.
I am sick and tired of watching violent offenders laughing at our court system and the will of the Australian people. For evil to prevail all that is required is that good men (and women) do nothing. We have a responsibility to bequeath a safe, stable and just world to future generations, one in which the violent, indolent and greedy have no place and the elderly, sick and infirm are supported and cherished.

If you want to go for public office I`ll support you, it`s time for good men (and women) to stand together against the tide of indifference, greed and incompetence.

Sorry for the (and women) bit, sounds a bit like a sketch from a Monty Python film. I guess I am lucky in that I care for my wife and respect her opinion.

Vote Glort,
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »
just in case I didn`t make myself clear about the death penalty take a look at this and tell me I`m wrong https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/39572186/parents-couldnt-afford-to-vaccinate-baby-that-died-from-meningo/

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
The 2 times I have called the cops, I was told both times " There were no cars in the area and it would be at least 1 hours wait".

My favourite (sadly, it's an urban legend) story along those lines is this:

Philip Hewitson, an elderly man, from Norwich, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he’d left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. Phillip opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked ”Is someone in your house?"

He said "No, but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me.”

Then the police dispatcher said "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available."

Philip said, "Okay." He hung up the phone and counted to 30. Then he phoned the police again. "Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well you don’t have to worry about them now because I just shot them." and he hung up.

Within five minutes, Six Police Cars, a SWAT Team, a Helicopter, two Fire Trucks, a Paramedic, and an Ambulance showed up at the Hewitson`s’ residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the Policemen said to Philip, "I thought you said that you’d shot them!"

Philip said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
Hey Guys, finally put in my order for $600 worth of parts to complete the rebuild of the bottom end of my 6/1, looking forward to being able to post some pictures of progress, also looking forward to bombarding all you knowledgeable people about end float clearances and etc.

Happy days,  :laugh:
Bob.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2018, 10:59:35 PM »
Hey Glort, parts being couriered to me this week. Camera charging, beer in the fridge and I`m off the antidepressants.

BRING IT ON!   ;D

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
Happy days, the first delivery of parts arrived this morning. Ordered on Sunday, sent on Monday, arrived on Tuesday. Got to be a record for Australia Post! A big thank you to Rob at Old Timer Engines.

I have spent a lot of time today unwrapping all the bits, Christmas has come early this year. I`ve also spent a lot of time checking out 38ac`s fine explanations of how to rebuild the bottom end of a Lister engine. I have therefor ordered a dial test indicator and magnetic base. I also ordered some micrometer blue to do the gib keys with.

Praying for rain now so I can justify spending time in the shed rather than doing the chores around the property.

I`ll post pictures once I get going again,  ;D

Bob