Author Topic: blasphemy - woodstoves  (Read 9901 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: blasphemy - woodstoves
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »
The suggestion does highlight the point though that there is never a shortage of water, it's the failure to provide it where needed that is really to blame and that's largely a management/ Political thing NOT and environmental one.

The answer for everything. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »
Not counting transport of hundreds of miles:
"Desalinated water typically costs about $2,000 an acre foot — roughly the amount of water a family of five uses in a year. The cost is about double that of water obtained from building a new reservoir or recycling wastewater, according to a 2013 study from the state Department of Water Resources.May 29, 2014"

Reminds me of the folly of "supply side economics".

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »
16 miles from where I live there are areas without usable well water.  Despite our 16 inches of rain per year,  I know one semi-retired couple that has 30,000 gallons of water storage and is able to live with just what they catch from their home, outbuilding, barn and greenhouse roofs. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 01:28:04 AM »
I think 30,000 gallons is a HUGE tank. (Their garden needs in June and July account for the size of the tank.) We get most of our rain in August (late summer here) and the rest in the winter. The rest of the year, we're parched.  It amazes me that they can catch enough ran to live on and garden with here in our climate.  I use about 500 gallons a month for myself.

With 2000 SF of guttered roofs,  the total years collection of 16 inches of rain would be 16,600 gallons.  Sure adds up to a lot more water than I would have thought.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
Hey Glort,

Calc is quite easy - for every square meter of roof, work on approximately 10L per 10mm of rain, ie 1mm rain is 1L of catchment per square meter, this doesn't take into account wind driven rain and the roof angle, but gives a fairly accurate estimate if viewed over a few showers from different directions....

Cheers
Ed

PS - I went a different route with rain tanks(we are hooked up to municipal water, it tastes terrible and I don't use it unless we run dry..) - Currently running 10 or 11 x 5000L tanks, manually managed to a dual pump pressure on demand system (Overflows from the tanks cascade to one another, so should a lot of rain come from one direction, that tank or bank of tanks can feed another) - This allows for Isolation of tanks for cleaning without compromising supply...On the pressure lines I have installed a few air accumulators to prevent the pump/s kicking in unless there is a demand for more than 10L of water at a time... Changeover from one tank to another is a right PITA sometimes....They seem to wait for me to get soaped up in the shower before they run out.... Go figure!!...
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 09:18:01 AM »
Hey Glort,

For a long while the residents of the household were "against" using rainwater...I switched back to municipal water and then stealthily, a couple of weeks later, I swung the valves back to the tanks... Within a little while, there were remarks as to how much better the coffee tasted, the kettle remained cleaner, water seemed to boil quicker, showers were easier to clean, soap seemed "soapier".... There was a slight green tinge to the water which I explained away as copper oxide from the pipes.... Months later, I got slack with monitoring the tank levels and we ran out of water, everyone "found out" that we were suddenly on tank water, of course the mandatory cases of dysentery, TB, Ebola and other lethal viruses were suddenly contracted and everybody started getting ill.... all within about 10 minutes.... I then pointed out that the mind is a powerful thing and we had been on rainwater for a considerable time already... Miraculously, all the ails disappeared and everyone is surprisingly healthy and very proud of our little water "farm" - So much so that when we do run low and switch to municipal, urgent requests are made after the minutest downpour to go back to the "nice" water!!

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 11:15:59 AM »
Hey Glort,

Nice one re the gearbox....crafty bugger!! (I am a bit of a nightmare for the tech repairs I send out...I know what is wrong, what is required to sort, and am just not doing it myself because its too dirty/time constraints or other... When I question detail on the procedure performed, they usually fumble and become very humble if they have taken short cuts or in rare circumstances become hostile....the hostiles are NEVER re-contracted again...)

My tank system is quite "distributed" around the property, electronic monitoring is, or would be, a PITA... WIFI or bluetooth would work, but no power at the bulk of the tanks, so manual it is!! (Manual consists of a bit of weed whacker bright orange cord threaded through a small hole in the top of the tank, a lead weight on the outside and a 2L cooldrink bottle weighted with some stones or sand and tied to the cord on the inside of the tank as a float... Long orange stripe on the outside = full tank on the inside!! Easy to see at a glance from a distance too.... just got to do a walk around every now and then and take note!!)

Auto operation for me consists of yelling at one of the youngsters to go and turn on/off a couple of valves....no batteries required!! (Except when I lie in, during the week, am the only one in the house because everybody else works off-premises, I jump in the shower in the morning....and... yep.... you guessed it.... no amount of yelling seems to activate the damn valve when a tank runs out 1/2 way through a shower....)

Lol
Ed