Author Topic: Engine Wont Start  (Read 2191 times)

Listerational

• View Profile
Engine Wont Start
« on: November 25, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »
Hello,

I have a Listeroid Power Line 10hp 7.35 kw 1000RPM generator. A few months ago it ran out of diesel while running and now it won't start. I believe that I did a halfway decent job of bleeding the lines and there is diesel coming out of the fuel line where it enters the cylinder head while hand cranking but for some reason I am getting zero smoke. Is there a good way to spray ether or inject brand new diesel into the head?

Hoping to jump start it with a burst of ether or fresh diesel.

Thank you,

Jim

Listerational

• View Profile
Re: Engine Wont Start
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
Well, I removed the air filter, sprayed some starter spray inside the manifold and she cranked up. I guess the lesson learned is to run these puppies weekly.

Thanks,

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
Well, I removed the air filter, sprayed some starter spray inside the manifold and she cranked up. I guess the lesson learned is to run these puppies weekly.

Thanks,

You didn't say how long you'd cranked it after you'd got diesel to the injector; there'd have still been a little air left (in the injector body itself), normal practice would be to open the fuel rack full, operate the decompression lever, then crank without compression until the injector started creaking - which can take a surprisingly long time. Easier said than done, of course! Especially if you're using a noisy electric starter which masks the injector noise.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 05:46:41 AM »
Proper bleeding procedure will help... not running her out of fuel will help even more. Beware of using starting ether because if too much is used you can damage rings (or worse).

Glad you got her running, and yes, it is helpful and normal to run standby systems at least monthly to ensure readiness.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations