Author Topic: Oiling Improvements  (Read 7115 times)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Re: Oiling Improvements
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
I am thinking about adding a full flow oil filter and rocket arm lubrication to my Peteroid someday.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
Actually, thinking about full flow oil filtering in these older engines, its probably not a good idea. Given the shocking state the oil gets into, a filter would tend to block rather quickly and make things worser real quick. All the engines I have had have survived shitty oil over decades of use with no problems, as many here will attest after working their own
 Filters too will shred if there is moisture  in the oil, which, in CS Listers at least is a given, as the oil runs luke warm at best.... never drives out the water with heat.
In saying that, a bypass filter may be a better option, and wont deprive the engine of lubrication if it blocks up, but then it wont be effective either in that case.
Im inclined to think Lister knows best and leave them like they are. 

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 12:45:41 AM »
Actually, thinking about full flow oil filtering in these older engines, its probably not a good idea. Given the shocking state the oil gets into, a filter would tend to block rather quickly and make things worser real quick. All the engines I have had have survived shitty oil over decades of use with no problems, as many here will attest after working their own
 Filters too will shred if there is moisture  in the oil, which, in CS Listers at least is a given, as the oil runs luke warm at best.... never drives out the water with heat.
In saying that, a bypass filter may be a better option, and wont deprive the engine of lubrication if it blocks up, but then it wont be effective either in that case.
Im inclined to think Lister knows best and leave them like they are.

With the known variation in how oils perform... 70 years ago they were expected to settle out the debris and gunk rather than keep it in suspension, the opposite of how modern oils perform. I agree that KISS dictates keeping with the original very simple design but perhaps performing more frequent oil changes. It is indeed striking just how much abuse these original designs would take without compromising operation of the engine though. It is appalling just how filthy these crankcases become with a bit of neglect. Cleaning one in an advanced condition of decay is a genuine challenge. Not for the faint of heart!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:47:13 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:58 PM »
Hi Samo, the governor weight pivot pins on my 6/1 are also badly worn. I am thinking that the holes in the govern weights and camgear will also be worn. I am planning to ream them out to the next nearest size.(Silver steel can be purchased in increments of 0.1mm)
There is a lubrication hole, with a plug, at the other end of the cam shaft for priming the camshaft bush. A similar hole could be drilled and taped above the governor assembly. A small copper pipe could then be teed off the oil pump to feed oil to both of these lubrication points. An oil seal would need to be fitted to the black iron camshaft bush.
I believe that the oil pump should easily be able to cope with the extra demand.
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »
Hi Samo, as an after thought, rather than trying to fit an oil seal to the cam shaft bush just fit one of these with a suitable gasket.
Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 04:11:58 AM »
Hi Samo, as an after thought, rather than trying to fit an oil seal to the cam shaft bush just fit one of these with a suitable gasket.
Bob

Does the cover have oiling ports or something on it ?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
Bob

Does the cover have oiling ports or something on it ?

Hi Mike90045. The cam shaft bush at that end of the crankshaft is only lubricated by the thrower on the bottom of the crankshaft main bearing journal. Before starting, if not run for some time, it is recommended to remove the lubrication plug next to the tappet assembly above and oil the camshaft bush. My suggestion was that this lubrication plug could be replaced with an oil feed pipe from the oil pump. The problem with this idea is that there are no oil seals at either end of the camshaft. Consequently there will be oil leaking out. By fitting the later camshaft end cover with a suitable gasket, no oil would be able to leak at this end despite there being a positive oil pressure from the pump.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »

I just bought a listeroid 12/2.

Do they have the same problem or is it a genuine only 'Characteristic" ?
If the roids have the same thing, looks like ordering the covers could be a good first mod. 

Hi Glort, you could not fit this type of cover to a twin cylinder engine as they have a fuel injector pump at either end of the camshaft with a different cover assembly. Twins have a similar problem with lubrication of the governor assembly and centre camshaft bush. The idea of fitting an oil feed pipe to the lubricate the centre bush and governor gears should still work. Priming the oil pump would also pump oil to the bush and governor assembly. I`m thinking of giving it a go. I can always plug the holes later if it achieves nothing.
Bob

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the suggestion. We've packed up the house and in the middle of our move to Tasmania. I'll be off line until early January. It will probably be some time before I get the shed built and enough time to try some of these approacheson the Lister...

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 03:17:57 AM »
Ah yes, unscrew the plug, dribble some oil in and remember to screw the cap back on.  hella noise and mist if you leave the cap off and start it.  So the cover is just for if you plumb in an oil feed line to keep it from dribbling out the end.   Thanks