Author Topic: Lister HRS6 Bump Clearance  (Read 1724 times)

Richard71

• View Profile
Lister HRS6 Bump Clearance
« on: October 21, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
Hello Listeroid members,

I'm a newbie here looking for some advice & guidance.
I've been given an HRS6 to rebuild by my employer, the engine overhaul kit, main & big end bearings all arrived in our workshop yesterday along with a brand new workshop manual.

I remember some 25yrs or so ago assisting a very well experienced diesel engineer with setting the bump clearance, but my memory is cloudy, hence, I approach the sage ones of this forum to refresh my memory.

While measuring the "bump clearance" (using 1.5mm lead wire), the manual says torque down the cyl head and rotate the engine twice, remove cyl head and measure lead wire. Should a gasket & any shimming be fitted to the head for checking purposes, or is the figure (0.042"- 0.045") for absolutely nothing fitted between the head & barrel?

One more thing, I'm finding it impossible to source 1.5mm solder wire by Monday afternoon, the best I can do is 2mm or 3mm, will this do?
I hope the above all makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Regards,
Richard.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Lister HRS6 Bump Clearance
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
Should a gasket & any shimming be fitted to the head for checking purposes, or is the figure (0.042"- 0.045") for absolutely nothing fitted between the head & barrel?

You should assemble each cylinder and cylinder head combination with a representative amount of base shims and cylinder head shims, and then do a bump clearance. Initially to get close as possible to the desired clearance I would suggest that you  assemble with the same quantity of base shims and cylinder head shims that came off the engine when it was stripped.

2mm diameter solder will work. I always use the type of soft solder wire that is used for electrical soldering on printed circuit boards, and it works a treat

Richard71

• View Profile
Re: Lister HRS6 Bump Clearance
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Thanks Listard for the quick response and advice.

Bump clearances now set and cylinder heads all fitted.

Is it unusual to find that no shimming is required? Two of my cylinders where spot-on with only one of the thickest of the shims.

Regards,
Richard.