Puppeteer

Author Topic: SOM flywheel upgrade!  (Read 7555 times)

carlb23

• View Profile
Re: SOM flywheel upgrade!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
I run my unmodified listeroid 6/1 as a hybrid using aprox  10% diesel and 90% natural gas with only a needle valve to adjust the natural gas flow and let the governor adjust the diesel.  I have it set up so only enough diesel is injected at an no load and enough natural gas at a 1800 watt  load to keep the governor from injecting anymore diesel.  If the load goes over 1800 watts the governor just injects more diesel.   Simple and effective

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
Actually, the oilfield engines do show up, they just have a steep price.  Here are two near me, that if I had a place to put them, I would have bought one or both. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/hit-and-miss-motor-/262818066319?hash=item3d312d6f8f:g:GB4AAOSwZQRYhAFQ

and a nice big one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/hit-and-miss-engine-/262875957843?hash=item3d34a0ca53:g:rDwAAOSw32lYpd3p

They have been for sale several months here in Texas...

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »
Carl's NG setup is marvelous- simple, effective.  Alas no NG out here in the sticks.

Propane can't be run that way, you're limited to about 25% propane.  Carb and regulator for propane run about $220., a bargain compared to an Arrow engine. Other mods are a 1/2" spacer of aluminum under the cylinder to lower compression, hardened valve seats in the head, a black pipe adapter for the spark plug to fit in the injector hole and clamp, and lengthening the shorter pushrod a few inches. Plus hall sensors and circuit to trigger an auto spark module, long reach spark plug, spark module mount, wiring, etc.  And an adapter to mount the carb on the intake manifold and a minor mod to the governor arm and new linkage. It is a project- and makes me appreciate Carl's setup.

I'm presently at just 875 watts of PV panels for my 120VDC power system. PV is so cheap now it's shocking.  I have to upgrade my PV system to add 5 more 24v panels for my new low EMI inverter design; I'll be adding another 1500 watts  so that the well pump (1200 watts) or washing machine (1100 watts) can be used during the day   Sunelect.com or Solarblvd.com carry new panels cheap.  Locally used panels are a joke- new panels are cheaper.  I designed a new seasonal tilt ground mount rack of angle iron that ran about $300 in steel and welding for my new neighbor; I'll use that design instead of my $150 original as it allows one person to do the seasonal tilt. We have wind gusts over 100 mph every spring so I  used 1" EMT braces from the top of the 33%  cantilevered rack.

Glort, for your electric water heater, I'd suggest going direct DC to the element; use a water heater thermostat to control a solid state relay, or make one with a surplus IGBT module switching the low side.  Put your panels in series to get the voltage you need under load.  Screw in replacement elements for 240 and 120v at various wattages are common here.  You must use dc rated breakers, and properly rated solid state relays-  AC rated stuff will melt down the first time you try to turn it off.  It might be convenient to isolate one of the elements or add a whole hot water heater (plumbed as pre-heater) to be your solar heater. All that electronic conversion to AC, and batteries are just not needed, and you'll have much better efficiency.

I hurt my left leg last night- one of the flywheels tipped over when going over the concrete lip into the shop at an angle and got me.  I was getting too cocky rolling them around.  Scrape and monster swelling on my shin bone...no dinner (couldn't stay upright) and not much sleep.  Swelling better today, and I can stand for a short while.  Living alone is very peaceful but occasionally has it's downsides.

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 02:14:08 AM »
Take care of yourself Bruce, we selfishly want to read more on your progress!
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
Thanks to 38ac I got connected with another member Robert Leonard, who had some SOM flywheels for sale.

Actually these are not a set of SOM flywheels, as one of them is missing the 'B' section Vee belt grooves around the flywheel rim. Otherwise a nice addition to a Lister CS engine that will greatly reduce the cyclic irregularity associated with the spoked flywheels

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »
Ouch Bruce! I know that pain (I fell off a tail-lift van once and scraped a decent chunk of skin off my shin - still got the scars 10 years later). Keep a close eye on how it's healing - any hint of an infection, get yourself off to the quack smartish. I know a guy who had to have his leg amputated below the knee following a nasty shin injury, it got infected & never healed, just got worse & worse despite medical intervention.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »
Good and timely advice, AdeV, thanks.

I was alarmed late yesterday to have my lower leg hurt again nearly as much as the first night.  I had been wrapping it in a compression bandage and just trying to limp through my day, meals, laundry and such, setting new blades in my jointer-planer.

So last night I stacked pillows to elevate the thing.  Hurts less this morning, swelling down a little.  I'm going to have to keep it up a lot more, and take it a lot easier instead of bulling through. Sitting seems to be the worst- so no more computer today.  More reading in bed...  I've had about 3 lifetimes of that. 

sinna42

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
Hi BruceM,

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd post anyway !

I've recently acquired a Lister CS 12/2 genset.
Last night I managed to get the very heavy, as you'll know, flywheels off the engine.

I'm sure you noticed that the flywheels you have are not the same in that the keyway is opposite to the hole on one & in line with the other !
I'll guess these are therefore from a 12/2 engine as they are the same as mine.
On a 6/1 SOM the holes should be in line with each other & therefore keyed the same.

See pics attached that show my 12/2 & a stock photo of a 6/1.

Cheers,
Jim
Lister CS 3/1 1938, Lister CS 3/1 1939, Lister H4 Pump, Coventry Victor AN4 Mk1 1944, Gardner 1L2 1962