Puppeteer

Author Topic: SOM flywheel upgrade!  (Read 7556 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
SOM flywheel upgrade!
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:06:40 AM »
Thanks to 38ac I got connected with another member Robert Leonard, who had some SOM flywheels for sale.  Bob did a great job of securing them to a sturdy pallet and getting them loaded on my freight carrier 8 days ago.  Today I picked them up at my local helpful Ace Hardware.

They are now on my shop apron ready for some clean up and new paint! They are a bit shocking to a someone only familiar with Rajkot castings; there are no voids, putty, bondo!

I'd like advice on your favorite rust treatment that does not involve Rustoleum type oil based paint.  I just can't stand the stink of it. I'm thinking sand and wire brush, naval jelly, then paint. I'm in AZ, USA, so continued rusting is not a big issue, I'm just proud of them so want to pretty them up a bit.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:27:34 AM by BruceM »

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: SOM flywheel upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:32:03 AM »
Those should make for a nice upgrade. They really are nice chunks of iron aren't they. Mine are sitting in the floor and look much like those, just waiting to be stripped and painted.

As far as a coating I settled on a single stage urethane paint. Urethane is pretty stinky and a respirator should be worn but most any decent coating is going to be. Most are brush-able if you don't have spray capabilities. Or, I think Eastwood makes some urethane paints in aerosol form. I have seen a few CS on youtube where the outer rim was left unpainted and clear coated. Looks like a nice detail to showcase the cast iron and makes the serial number and ignition/timing marks easier to read.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:36:02 AM »
Wow Bruce,
I am happy to see you finally found a pair !

I am sure many of us are anxious to see how they work out for you.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »
Nice wheels. In my case after cleaning, de-greasing, I used an etch primer then sprayed 1K enamel in mid-brunswick green. I don't think the 1K paints are too bad, there's certainly more toxic paints out there. Still I wear long sleeves, goggles and a mask just to be on the safe side! 

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
AZ? Any old paint will do - so long as it's mid-Brunswick Green  :laugh: and can be applied smoothly (no brushes! unless it's coach paint...) Hell, you'd get away with no paint at all most likely!

I'd use cellulose based paint myself, 'cos I'm old school, and because I don't have a 2-pack setup.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »
Thanks for the prep and finish suggestions. Green she shall be.  Ade's right- it doesn't take much for our environment here in AZ. I have unfinished angle iron bits on my engine for sensors, pneumatic actuators and such, and an oily rag wipe down occasionally is enough to keep them rust free. 

It sure is going to be interesting trying to match these flywheels to match per 38ac's method.  Piece of cake when you can readily lift the flywheel by hand, quite a bit more serious with these monsters.  I will go slow.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
The easiest way to clean them might be to take them to a local engine rebuilder and have them hot tanked. Nice find.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:27:25 PM »
Tom, I think you're right-  I've seen the before and after photos of hot tanked parts here recently and it's amazing what a good job that does.  Alas,  I'm so rural that it's not so practical for me. Local shops only have solvent tanks for smaller parts.

I couldn't resist giving the flywheels some attention by hand this morning; a few hours with 80 grit discs on a  5" air palm sander, and a drill- drum sander inside the cutouts, and some pressure washing. They cleaned up very nicely.  Myself and my clothes are another matter.

I think I'll going to use Bronco's suggestion and NOT paint the outer rims- until after they are installed. That way I can roll them about - which is the easiest way to move them.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 02:43:19 AM »
Bruce..Are they from a Lister 6/1 going on Listeroid? If so I bet it will be minor tuning.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 03:01:26 AM »
Hi Dave,
Yes, 6/1 SOM wheels on a 6/1 Listeroid.  I will match the balance but agree not likely to be off much.

I've seen the patina look Glort mentions- someone used some stove black and had a great looking show (or working) engine. Vegetable oil, oxidized, makes that coating that works so well on cast iron skillets and griddles. Only soap or detergent ruins it. 

Alas, patina on a Rajkot Listeroid engine seems an odd mix, so I painted the wheels Lister green this afternoon when the rain stopped.  I'm going to give the engine a bit of a touch up  and give my original wood ''temporary test'' base a coat as well. It really has held up nicely but since I've got extra paint I'll doll it up.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »
I painted my CS with Lidl's (A German based pan European supermarket chain that sells all sorts of stuff on weekly offers, paint comes up a couple of times a year) spray cans in a sort of Brunswick green.

It comes up like Hammerite Smoothrite, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a a similar composition with a different solvent.

It's around 3 euros a can (I used around 8 on the CS and after 3 years it's still looking good) and when it comes around I buy loads of black and grey for doing odd jobs, brackets and the like.

Cheap, that's me!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
Glad everything worked out for them. Be extra careful that your gibb keys are well fitted as the extra "smoothing" forces the heavy 'wheels  provide is  transmitted through those gibb keys and the friction fit to the shaft that they provide.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
Interesting looking flywheels. I've never actually looked at SOM flywheels. Cool balance methodology. Post more pics!
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
One of those du-oh, moments this morning.  Flywheels look great, set up my stands for balancing and then noticed- no ground clearance for the wheel bottom.  Oops.  The SOM flywheels are 25 inches diameter, not the 23 1/2 of my spoke'd wheels. This will require modification of the base- not quite enough clearance for the belt on flywheel and a new 9 inch generator pulley and belt. I'd likely have to change to a single B belt instead of serpentine to get the right diameter generator pulley unless a 9" serpentine pulley is common. 

I'll have to ponder it and study the costs for a while, but I may postpone the upgrade to SOM wheels until I'm ready ($) for the propane conversion, which increases engine speed to 824 rpm. I'll need new pulleys and B belts for both generator and air compressor for that.  I can manage diesel fuel hauling and transfer now but want to be prepared.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 12:52:11 AM »
I didn't overlook the Arrow engines, just fell over when I read the price.  They don't come on the used market.  I've already done a DES 8/1 CS conversion to propane for my also disabled neighbor's off grid home (making it a 6/1 in terms of power), which is working very well.  He also has the dual purpose air compressor/generator. We use air tools and motors on a big 500 gallon air tank instead of electric.

I'm off grid so regular use is the norm, and I just can't tolerate the sound of 3600 rpm engines, or I'd use one for generator and one for air compressor.

I'm having periods of not being able to drive safely from MS acute vertigo and vision issues, among others. So a fuel that's delivered and requires no handling is a big plus might be a big plus for my independence.  I use about 5 gallons of diesel fuel a month.  I've been reluctant to modify my nicely working diesel setup. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:47:11 AM by BruceM »