Author Topic: TR3 Bleeding Fuel  (Read 3504 times)

Allan Jackson

• View Profile
TR3 Bleeding Fuel
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
Ok. So now I have had my injectors out, stripped, cleaned, and rebuilt my engine. I have bled the fuel lines in the usual way up to the nuts at the base of the Swan necked fuel lines but I still can't get the thing to start. There must be something I'm missing. Could anyone help me further? Thanx in advance.
Allan

Samo

• View Profile
Re: TR3 Bleeding Fuel
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
Hi Allan,

I'd confirm fuel and spray pattern from the injectors, remove them, replumb to the pump and turn it over. Check for output and spray pattern.

Samo
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

Allan Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »
Thanks Samo. I will indeed be trying that first thing. I'm hoping that it is just air in the system as I have just had the injectors services and the nozzles replaced. Thanx for your time.
Allan

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
I don't know how others feel but if you are reasonably certain you've disturbed nothing else, and you still have the crank rotating in the correct direction, pull the air filter and get some one to spray WD 40 or 3 in one oil (from a spray can) down the inlet.

First it will increase compression, secondly it will hopefully ignite and get the cranking speed up. This will help to purge reluctant injectors.

As it starts to run you may find you can control the engine speed with the spray can.

DON'T be tempted by 'Start Pilot' or similar ether based 'Angels Breath', they strip the oil that aids compression and have a much lower compression ignition point that can  result in the motor running backwards, or worse stopping it with such a jolt that something breaks - ask me (and several others who post on here) how I know!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:10:36 AM »
Make certain fuel rack is freely moving and that your pumps are indeed rotating fully from the stop positions to the full throttle position. Then bleed your system until you can hear the injectors creak while cranking with decompressors engaged. After that you will get smoke under full compression. +1 on adding some top-cylinder lube to get a reluctant engine to fire. Remember that you have to have the 3-things to get her started - Fuel, Air, Heat (compression).

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 04:02:08 AM »
Agree, WD40/CRC5-56 is the ticket for a  forced soft start of a reluctant engine, When pushed, fly spray / hair spray aerosols, etc that use propane for the propellant work nicely too, and make the exhaust smell nice.
That Ether based easy start  is what Meth Amphetamine is to humans, the engine will rapidly become addicted to the stuff and in a very short time refuse to start without it. A squirt of straight oil too will help in severely  cold  weather.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 06:25:54 AM »

What happens is the problem that necessitates the need for the spray/ chemical in the first place simply continues or gets worse the longer it is left and the machine runs. People use the starting fluid to bypass the problem instead of fixing it.  It's a mechanical/ physical problem not a biological one!
If the problem is fixed in the first place, the need for the starting fluid goes away. It's pretty logical.

[/quote]

Impressive Glort, theres no sneaking past you., you got it in one.
My gosh you Ozzies  are certainly very switched on.... sharp as a tack, 
I am very humbled.   :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:28:45 AM by starfire »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
    :)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »
Excluding the non-existant chemical dependency  :laugh: it's still bad news to use Ether on a diesel engine with the possibility of pre-ignition and the likelihood of the ether exploding in the cylinder (rather than burning - a bit like a pinking/pinging car). Using ether long term on an engine could cause additional damage (over and above whatever's causing the hard starting problem in the first place).

I must admit, I used to use it on my lorry, which wouldn't start without it in winter (usual story - 1st start of the day. Subsequent starts were easier). Some time later a seal went in the fuel pump, and the fuel used to leak back into the tank overnight, cue 10 minutes of cranking to suck the fuel back up to the injectors. I used to start & run it on Easy-start in those days, balancing the spray pressure to keep the RPMs stable was an interesting chore! Fortunately, I managed to flog it to someone in Dublin before I exploded the engine...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.