Author Topic: Original Lister CS w/ tanks - Diesel 6HP 650RPM Year 1939 - For SALE  (Read 7504 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: Original Lister CS w/ tanks - Diesel 6HP 650RPM Year 1939 - For SALE
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »

My 12/2 with a 7.5 Kva gen head just cost me $1350.

In this case I think the Tyre kicker is the seller not the buyer.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2017, 03:14:19 AM »
I had good progress with a gentleman called Matt from Kansas City, and talked with a shipping company here that could transport from Leixoes (Porto) to Kansas City for 550$.

After that, he didn't reply to me anymore don't know why, because it's a fair value and he agreed on it...

Since then, got an offer of 1500$ from New Zealand but he quit after getting to know that the shipping price would be higher than to Kansas, so 500$.

I also got another contact from a guy who is interested on buying an original Lister like mine, but says that it's somehow illegal to import it to the USA and that the customs would seize it, anybody can confirm this info? I'll probably open a new topic on other section about this...

It is Not illegal to import antique engines into the USA. That doesn't guarantee that it won't become a PITA to get it done. If it is dismantled or incomplete and just called parts, then your paperwork becomes pretty easy. Mention "Engine" and certain triggers will be tripped as far as legality is concerned. None the less, once you can meet the burden of proof that your unit was manufactured before the pertinent EPA regulation came into force, you will be able to get past the bureaucrats and their gatekeepers.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:34:30 PM by dieselgman »
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count...

amsimoes

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »

With everyone round the $1500 mark, would prove the initial $5000 ask was ridiculous. Maybe you should have taken the $1500 offer you knocked back.

How come all the offers are from OS, is there no one in your own country interested in these things or have you over priced it for the local market?

Here in Portugal people don't have the interest nor the money to buy an engine like this.
This is an engine from before the World War II, and is still functional, it has a lot of antique value.

I've already stated in this topic that the $5000 price tag was like a roof, and to test the market. Don't need to keep saying it was a ridiculous value to ask. I'm not a Lister nor an engine enthusiast, since listing it I learned quite a bit.

amsimoes

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »
I had good progress with a gentleman called Matt from Kansas City, and talked with a shipping company here that could transport from Leixoes (Porto) to Kansas City for 550$.

After that, he didn't reply to me anymore don't know why, because it's a fair value and he agreed on it...

Since then, got an offer of 1500$ from New Zealand but he quit after getting to know that the shipping price would be higher than to Kansas, so 500$.

I also got another contact from a guy who is interested on buying an original Lister like mine, but says that it's somehow illegal to import it to the USA and that the customs would seize it, anybody can confirm this info? I'll probably open a new topic on other section about this...

It is Not illegal to import antique engines into the USA. That doesn't guarantee that it won't become a PITA to get it done. If it is dismantled or incomplete and just called parts, then your paperwork becomes pretty easy. Mention "Enigine" and certain triggers will be tripped as far as legality is concerned. None the less, once you can meet the burden of proof that your unit was manufactured before the pertinent EPA regulation came into force, you will be able to get past the bureaucrats and their gatekeepers.

dieselgman

Thanks dieselgman.

I'll look into it.
Actually, the engine is missing the cooling tank. This way should make it easier to say it is parts instead of full engine...

Happy New Year

guest23837

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 10:09:31 PM »
Did you sell it?

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 12:55:53 AM »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »
Fantastic Thursday!

I sold the dead tractor that had been under a tarp for five years yesterday.  The first guy out got it running at full speed and offered $500 for a machine that is listed at $650 for parts - not running.  Just between us the price absolutely firmed up when the engine started.  He knew I had gotten over a dozen responses on the first day of the craigslist ad.  Take an offer of less than full listed price on the first full day with a line waiting to look at it?  Please Ladies and gentlemen.  The second guy put $550 down and will return in a week with his trailer and, yes, and another $100.  YES!

So I would suggest an asking price that you would be happy with and have an acceptable price in mind.  If $1500 is your acceptable price then $1800 would be a good asking price but you could take an eighty percent offer and still be inside your guidelines.

Too bad there's not a local olive oil museum that would be interested in it.  Are there any antique diesel engine clubs in or near Portugal that would make shipping easier?  Check with a local news agency to see if they will do a story on changing times for the area.  Get something in you photo set (pets and children work really good) that give an idea of scale to these engines.  I find them surprisingly big.   Do some marketing.  If it still chugs then do a YouTube.  Nothing sells Listers better than the chugity chug of a 650 RPM diesel.

Best wishes

Casey

PS.  The engine looks great.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:59:41 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 02:42:11 AM »

If $1500 is your acceptable price then $1800 would be a good asking price but you could take an eighty percent offer and still be inside your guidelines.

I agree, that is a REASONABLE buffer to negotiate with. I think a person would in fact be silly not to add something over the top.
I did well today myself.
Bought a solar setup a few weeks back for $550. Came with panels, micro inverters, rails etc. Only wanted the panels and the inverters are pains so advertised them. Had 16 so offered them in 2 lots of 8 for $250.  Guy from interstate sent his mate to pick them up for him and didn't quibble the price.  Apparently where he is all the systems were installed with these things as the manufacturer was based there but they have since gone out of business and the things are falling over in the extremely hot climate there. The used supply of the things is non existent. It's a lot of mucking around to add in another brand of inverter as the connectors are different and going to a string inverter means you have to put in a new system because of our regs here you can't put a new inverter on old panels.  There is rational, environmentaly friendly logic for you.

Selling one lot of these which means I just almost halved the price of my panels.  Bargain!

Asking $5000 or 3500 for something you'll take $1500 for however is just downright ignorant and stupid.  That said, I have come to actually do well from the people that think they are so clever in doing this.

Got a bargain the other week. Woman was asking $1500 for some panels. Were probably worth around a grand but I don't buy something for what it's worth, always less so I have no problem getting out of it without loosing money if I so decide.

I offered 250 Which she spat the dummy at, as I knew she would,  left it a week and offered $400 which she took in the absence of any other offers. People shoot themselves in the foot asking stupid high amounts. They must think they are going to get someone with more Dollars than Sense but in trying to be clever, all they do is hurt themselves.  The people that may pay their asking price or a fraction more are put off and don't even bother trying to negotiate so the seller is left with bugger all interest and then gets worried or desperate if it's something they really want to sell.

Of course then you have the other dreamers that must never do any research into what others are selling similar things for and what the going rate is that come up with a figure they pull from their nether regions and believe that is the value of the good because they think it is and everyone else must be wrong.

Spoke to a guy like that the other week.  Wants $4000 for a solar setup that I showed him a larger NEW one can now be purchased anywhere for $3600 installed and guaranteed but he maintains he paid $11200 for his just 6 years ago so it's less than half price and If I can't afford it, then look elsewhere etc.  They ironic bit which shows his true intelligence is how he goes on in the ad about how he made his money back on it in 3 years and it's been virtually paying him the last 3 years. Ya! So it owes you nothing but you still want more than it's worth??  ::)

I wonder how long he'll have it and what he will get for it in the end.... same as this engine.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 05:38:01 AM »
Here is something that might be worth the money https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maroochy-river/power-tools/11-kva-lister-generator/1175469587. Very similar to my st2, with the engine and gen head mounted on top of the fuel tank.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2018, 08:10:13 AM »

Looks a nice tidy unit.
It seems the larger gennys are a lot more watt for the buck than the smaller portable ones.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
If I had four grand spare this would already be on it`s way here and my shed would have 3 phase power by this time next week. Why is there always more month than money?

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »

Always been the same with me.
No money for what I wanted and there are 3 of them staring me in the face at a bargain price I still can't afford at that time.
Get cashed up and can't find what I'm after at any price.

Funny thing though. Had an investment come in a couple of years back and without trying to skite, we are comfortably well off now.  Thing is, there is very little I want, or should I say, I am interested in.  Sure I'll still buy little toys etc but even then I find myself all the time saying " Do I need this? " and passing up on things I would have jumped at not so long ago.

I'm planning on another shed clean out next week. Since coming here I realise so many priorities and interests have changed and there is so much I don't want/ need or am interested anymore.  Something I do want is space and lack of clutter and fortunately, that don't cost too much!   :laugh:

I am going to put 3 -phase in my shed in the near future, mainly to be able to pump my solar up there at full tilt back into the place. One thing hasn't changed, I'm still a tight arse and like bucking the system to save money.

Just to have a quick OT rant, I think your "more month than money" thing comes back to one of my Axioms.:

The luxury's are cheap these days, they have to be because no one can afford them after paying for the basic necessities.

What the average family spend on food, health insurance and power alone in a month would buy a pretty fancy/ large TV set and the next month you could have the surround sound, month after that a reasonable OS holiday, pay an expensive car off in a couple of years, and so it goes.

The struggle is not being able to afford to spoil yourself, it's finding the money to do with what you can't live without!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2018, 09:55:04 PM »
Hey Glort, I guess that as we get older our ability to earn diminishes, thankfully so does our desire to spend money on luxuries.
I have no desire to own a new state of the art TV and surround sound system. Crap programs are still crap twice the size and volume.

With regards to shed clear out, a mate of mine is a compulsive hoarder. He has been collecting stuff for forty years. he has no idea what he has got and will not part with any of it. He has been approached by several museum curators who have offered to catalogue his collection for free. There was even talk of opening a museum in Coffs Harbour. He has got around his shed problem by simply building a new one every year. His farm now looks like an industrial estate.

Nothing wrong with being a tight arse, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves. Don`t suppose you would consider working in Government procurement, teaching them to stop wasting the tax payers hard earned?