Author Topic: New Member Resurrecting 12/2 lovson  (Read 5084 times)

2Ton46

• View Profile
Re: New Member Resurrecting 12/2 lovson
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 03:54:53 AM »
I've always wondered how that lobe oiled. It seems to me that the drain hole should be a little higher and maybe off center so that the tip of the lobe could dip into the top of a pool of oil that is in that housing, but maybe there isn't enough coming in to maintain a level there.  I figure as long as I place a little oil around the stem under the pump each day it will get a little more than nothing. You're right to tear it down with that rust and crud, no way that it would last a lifetime with that floating around.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
that #2 pump lobe.....

that has been a question here from the begining....

I think the thinking is that the splash or spray, through a hole in the block,
would be enough to provide lubrication for the roller/lobe.

I opened the hole in the block a little. It has been a while and I am unable to
remember if I added another hole or not.

The thing I did do was to add a "flag" to the bolt in the block that is provided
for "pre oiling" the #2 lobe. I think the thinking is that any splash would gather
on the "flag" and drip onto the lobe.

I took the plug/bolt, drilled a hole in the inside end and JB welded a 1/16 ×
about 3" brass rod in the end.

I haven't run mine enough to say if it is a viable option or not. I don't see how
it could hurt.

Gary

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:44:38 PM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Samo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
Nice photo's... So a while back I started the thread on oiling improvements because of that #2 pump lifter... both mine were significantly worn but #2 won the competition by a country mile.... I think it could do with some more oil, certainly can't hurt!
Lister CS 12/2 & JKSON 10/1 Listeroid

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 10:45:11 PM »
Whenever you get down to it, I would be very interested in pictures of the starter and ring gear mount, if you would have time and inclination.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 03:19:59 AM »
I think one problem on a well-used and abused version of this engine is that lubrication can get blocked by other debris and crud. I have seen many of these tappets and pump feet worn to smithereens in the singles as well. Primarily in a heavily coked engine with a drastic amount of internal build-up.

Keep em clean, and the minimalist lubrication provided might at least prove to be functional.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations