Puppeteer

Author Topic: Radiator Setup for 10/1 Lovson  (Read 7292 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Radiator Setup for 10/1 Lovson
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 01:58:58 AM »
I can add to the tank sizing.  I use a converted 30 gal gas tank (w/10 gal of antifreeze/corrosion control) and on a cool day, after 90 minutes of 2500w load, the tank is about 175F.   About that time, the batteries are full enough, and I shut down for 12 hours.  As it gets hotter, the tank will radiate more heat, and more will steam off the top, but I would guess 2 hours top, at 2500w with my 6/1 at 1,400' elevation.  I've not run much longer, since I'm trying to keep runs at high load to prevent carbon fouling.
 I do find a lot of dry fluffy carbon building up under my exhaust outlet (I have a angled plate to divert ex away from the shed) and the plate gets a 1/4" build up of fluff on it.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 03:32:01 AM »
When running the hydronic loop, the 35 gal tank barely gets warm and no water needs to be added for the season. The system is running straight water because it doesn't get cold enough in the generator shed to freeze and our spring is fairly non-corrosive.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

queenofjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »
  A treasure trove of information here, gentlemen!  I have been digesting all of it.  I'm starting on my cooling tank project, today.  I'll keep you posted and will also post some photos as I go along.  I've decided to add a 110V fan blowing down and across the top of the drum for those extended run times.  We'll see -! --- Cheers,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Charlie
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:08:49 PM by queenofjacks »
Lovson 10/1  7.5KW - Power Solutions 20/2  12KW - Lister SR2 7.5KW - 2-Lister 8/1's - Lister TR2 7.5KW

queenofjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
   My generator is strictly for power outages (as opposed to battery charging) -- so the length of the run depends on the length of the outage.  I typically shutdown around 11 PM and start up again around 7 AM.  I will watch the evaporation rate and deal with it as needed.  I'll put a water level indicator on the drum and maybe install an automatic fill device (a la pet feeder/waterer) -or just re-fill by hand if the evaporation rate isn't too bad.  There will be a bit of a learning curve with this system, also - but thanks to all the info here on this board, it shouldn't be too bad! ----- Charlie
Lovson 10/1  7.5KW - Power Solutions 20/2  12KW - Lister SR2 7.5KW - 2-Lister 8/1's - Lister TR2 7.5KW

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 10:42:26 PM »
A layer of oil poured into the cooling tank cuts down evaporation enormously, been doing this for years now.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 05:45:36 AM »
A layer of oil poured into the cooling tank cuts down evaporation enormously, been doing this for years now.

Right, BUT it reduces the heat rejection, because water can't evaporate and cool the system down.  So you have to rely only on the radiating heat from the tank walls

queenofjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
  I have completed my conversion from Radiator to Tank Cooling.  I removed all of the radiator stuff and installed a 55 gallon drum with a 195 degree thermostat and a valve in the lower hose to control 'gulping' and a temp gauge with sensor in a bronze tee about 3 inches out from the upper flange.  Things seem to be working fine, so far.  I did about a two hour test run today (no load) and played with the 'anti-gulping' valve - searching for the 'sweet spot'.  I think I'm pretty close -- but of course things will change when I put a load on it.  Right now, the temp gauge slowly goes up to 205 for a moment after the thermostat opens, then drifts down to 195 for a couple of minutes then slowly goes down to 160.  The temp stays there for 2 or 3 minutes, then slowly goes back up to 205 - starting the cycle all over again.  I can control the amount and timing of the temperature swing by playing with the valve.  Still experimenting - but I'm happy with things, so far.  I'm going to check actual cylinder head temp swings with an infra-red temp gauge (as soon as I get one).
  After a two hour run (no load), only the water above the upper hose got hot - about 120 degrees or so.  The lower two thirds of the drum was still cool but getting warmer ever so slowly. -- That'll change with a load, though.
  I'll report back after I've had a chance to thoroughly test things with a load after 5 or 6 hours or so.
                                                                                                                                        Cheers,
                                                                                                                                             Charlie
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:50:28 PM by queenofjacks »