Puppeteer

Author Topic: No hurricane Irma input?  (Read 10571 times)

Apogee

• View Profile
Re: No hurricane Irma input?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
Cool!  Glad to know you guys are doing okay.

Would love a video of you just turning slowly in a circle to get a better sense of what things are really like on the ground.  Have they given you any info regarding when power will be restored?

Glad things are working and you're safe!

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »
How big is the genhead on the 20/2?  Does it have an automatic voltage regulator or is one of the manual type?

How much fuel is it using per day?  Is it running 24/7 or are you shutting down at night?

I bet mama is more than a little happy with your antique engine hobby about now!  Glad it's working as planned.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:40:28 PM by Apogee »

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
It's a 15KW head. Max output is about 11,000w.

This particular head would only make 109V on the Z winding. I struggled with that for years and only recently installed an AVR from Georgia Generator that uses the main windings to power the field. I now run it at 125v. Which it seems to hold without issue.

Fuel consumption is on the order of 8-10 gal per day. Possibly more if I run absolutely everything in the house. I've been able to run it at 6GPD when being careful on the slower speed.

I use a 6 gallon outboard motor fuel tank. As it's easy to quickly disconnect and replace with another. 

I am running the house 24/7
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:39:42 PM by cujet »
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »
Rocketboy's website was one of the few sites with any info available back in 2004 when I bought mine. He will be missed. I was going to buy a Triumph Scrambler this year, but decided not to in consideration of the wife's feelings. I sure hope that when it is my time that it's fast like that.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 12:28:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD7AE0abuG4

Another quick video of the listeroid at load, running my house. The sun was low in the sky and the slight smoke shows up quite well. The exhaust is normally rather clean. But today, I'm running on a noxious mixture of rancid olive oil, 12 year old Jet-A, and a good bit of 2 stroke oil, plus other odd oils mixed in.

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 06:35:07 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Nice setup.  Now we just need to teach you to make longer vids so we can enjoy the sounds and just watching.

I bet your neighbors are jealous.

Please keep the updates coming...

Again, glad you guys are safe and doing well.

Steve

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »
I agree with glort!

Regarding the fan on your setup, does it run all the time or is it thermostatically controlled?  If it runs all of the time, do you have a speed control on it?  I'm wondering what the power source is, the z winding or 110v?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 05:19:39 AM »
I bet your neighbors are jealous.....

They are not going to pick it up and borrow it, for sure.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »
I agree with glort!

Regarding the fan on your setup, does it run all the time or is it thermostatically controlled?  If it runs all of the time, do you have a speed control on it?  I'm wondering what the power source is, the z winding or 110v?

The fan is powered by a 12v power supply. The power supply was a Chinese unit, but it failed rather rapidly. So the current setup uses a transformer, rectifier and capacitor setup to make 12V. Stone reliable. It is, of course, powered by a 115V leg of the generator, as is my Grundfos water pump.

The fan runs all the time, as does the water pump. The water temperature will be as low as 170 with no load, and 210 at full load. No thermostat. I've never been able to overheat it. And I rarely run it with no load.

I do not use the Z winding for anything.

Given the choice, I'd pick a better quality generator head. The ST head has been a bit of a battle and I'm not sure I've worked out all the bugs.

Interestingly, when I first fire the unit up, the lights flicker like crazy, despite my best efforts. After a few hours, the flicker is reduced to tolerable levels. Maybe if I get time, I'll put the O-scope on it after startup and after a few hours and compare.

For now, power is back on and the listeroid is back in silent mode. (the neighbors loved seeing it run, BTW! )

Remember, I did install a capacitor bank on the field to smooth out the sine wave, which it did. I also installed a "Georgia Generator" AVR that runs from a single main winding. That brought voltage up from 109 to 125, thank goodness. As 109 would drop into the 90's under heavy load, which left everything groaning in the house. Now it drops to 111 under full load. Possibly because that particular leg is not the sensing leg for the AVR. But it's rare to be at full load for long.

I did run central AC, well pump, water heater and more all at the same time. Laundry, dishwasher and gas dryer were quite busy. No issues and no overloads.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
Oh, in the first video, it's shaking a bit as I had not yet put it on wood blocks, as necessary. Here is a video on the blocks. Much more steady. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxMTvE3y46I

Please, please excuse the "trashy" mess. It's post-hurricane and things are a bit strewn about. I spent the day yesterday picking up and cleaning up. Much more pleasant now, without the trashy mess.

Apogee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Glad the power is back on.

Trashy mess????  The vid is 4 seconds long....  I don't see any mess in the vid at all.

Thx for the update.  Glad things are getting back to normal!

Best,

Steve

blkadder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 03:40:51 AM »
I am really sad to hear about Rocketboy.  It was his site that I found that I think really got the bug boring into my brain.  I live in Okeechobee Florida (south/central).  We took what would be considered a high 2 or a low 3 storm through our small town.  We were without power for a couple of days, but things are slowly working their way back to normal.

I have been on the lookout for a Listeroid for years now, but when I find a local one, they seem to think that they are gold plated or something.  I may have to go the compressor route to get me a new engine.

Just thought I would post when I saw the post asking about Fla.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

queenofjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 09:57:56 PM »
  I am a new member - living in Hernando, FL.  I have lived on boats and Islands for many years so am pretty well versed in diesel engines and generators.  I met and fell in love with my first Lister while living on North Captiva Island, FL in the 70's.  I lived in the Bahamas for the better part of 22 years, where having a backup generator is a necessity -- More Listers.  When I moved to Hernando in 2009, I bought another backup generator - not a Lister. --- But the Lister longing was still there.  Last year, I found a Lovson Listeroid in Texas.  It was made in 2007 and had less than 30 hours on it.  I mated it with an ST 7.5 KW head and mounted it in my garage.  It runs at 720 RPM.  After some minor teething problems it's now running just fine.  I started it up on Monday noon, Sept. 11th after Irma came through here as barely a category one - and it has been running (not continuously) for about 90 hours, now with no serious issues - just a few more teething problems.
  From what I read about the Listeroids, Lovson is one of the better manufacturers - and I believe it.  I was able to contact the company and they have been very supportive- answering questions and providing a few parts.
  It's Sept 16th at 5 PM and still no power --- except for the Listeroid chugging happily away in my garage!   ----- CHARLIE
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:09:09 PM by queenofjacks »
Lovson 10/1  7.5KW - Power Solutions 20/2  12KW - Lister SR2 7.5KW - 2-Lister 8/1's - Lister TR2 7.5KW

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »
Charlie, Welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear that your Lovson is doing well. I am not a firm believer that any "brand name" from India has any real meaning (as it might in the Western world) due to the common parts pools they all draw on - and such... but clearly some folks have had very good luck, and some of the assemblers have at times done a better Quality Control job than others. Certainly some have done a better job of creating a market image for their brand names. I have seen quality vary all over the board with all the brands I have been exposed to. Even the ones we have established and maintained long relationships with have shipped us problems at different times. Bottom line, don't assume anything about brand name, but when you do get one of the clones up and running with bugs worked out, these can be excellent performers.

Good to hear that you were able to get good support through Lovson.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
Very nice setup, Charlie.  I see a belt on the far flywheel- are you using a DC starter/charger?  Details on that would be valuable for other members- not many have done that.