Alternative fuels > Bio-diesel Fuel

Expain to me why you bother to make bio diesel

<< < (2/3) > >>

Randybee1:
Interesting. I had assumed that the first thing most people did when they got some veggie was to turn it in to biodiesel. Never quite understood why. My 86 Diesel Jetta owners manual says to just add gas in the winter to prevent jelling. I just use a hydrometer. A little more gas in the winter than in the summer works for me.

dieselspanner:
A few years back I was working with hovercraft (AP188's for those with a little more curiosity) in  the south of England.

We had one returned from Brazil, it was flown down Southampton Water to Hythe, around 4 miles, as it arrived 3 of the 4 engines packed up, leaving only one lift motor running as we dragged it up the slip.

It turned out that the tropical diesel was waxing at plus 10 degrees, I got it out of the bulk tanks by dropping a 2 kw immersion heater in each one, draining off the original diesel and blow torching the fuel lines as we flushed it through with UK red diesel.

The green tropical stuff dropped the fuel bill in the shared car for 4 months!

Cheers Stef

guest23837:
In Ireland the revenue have customs men that "dip" your tank to see if it has AGRI, green diesel (Ireland) or red diesel (UK). If you have any of these your car is confiscated  and you have to go to court pay a huge fine and impound fees etc. If you have bio diesel and the guy dipping you is a cnut you better have a receipt because bio diesel, veg oil and wmo is liable for duty when used in a road vehicle. Many years ago when I was poor I got 5 gallons of green diesel and mixed it with a pint of burnt oil that gave me 5 gallons of black diesel. I was stopped by revenue and dipped. I explained that I had ran out of diesel and had to borrow an old can from a farmer to go to the garage. I wasn't believed fine was £1500.00 I didn't try to get the car back. Lesson learned!

ajaffa1:
Hey Johndoh, I used to go to a lot of agricultural shows when I lived in the UK. Inspectors at every gate dipping diesel tanks.
Penalties for tax evasion have always been higher than for true criminality, can`t have the sheeple giving the government the bird.
Funnily enough I did some building work for a tax inspector once, cheeky bugger asked me if I would give a discount for cash! I declined.

Bob

guest23837:

--- Quote from: ajaffa1 on June 03, 2018, 11:27:33 PM ---Hey Johndoh, I used to go to a lot of agricultural shows when I lived in the UK. Inspectors at every gate dipping diesel tanks.
Penalties for tax evasion have always been higher than for true criminality, can`t have the sheeple giving the government the bird.
Funnily enough I did some building work for a tax inspector once, cheeky bugger asked me if I would give a discount for cash! I declined.

Bob

--- End quote ---

All those guys dipping for the government are descended from batchelors

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version