Puppeteer

Author Topic: How crazy am I?  (Read 4206 times)

johnny williams

• View Profile
How crazy am I?
« on: July 23, 2006, 01:56:08 AM »
Ok I was sipping a mint julip and thinking today. Both danderous around a Listeroid ;D. I used to own a Polaris ATV and it had a variable pitch belt set up on it. My question is has anyone thought about this set up so that the engine would have the most power with the best economy according to the load at the time?

By the way just kidding about the mint julip.

Johnny Williams

Doug

Re: How crazy am I?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 02:30:02 AM »
A Lister with a CVT there's some out of the box thinking....

I wonder what the parasite losses on that set up would be?
I wonder how good the frequency regulation would be?

This invetiably leads to the idea Lister/inverter generator....

Doug

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 04:05:29 AM »
If you're talking about the Comet type clutches...all that's needed for low rpm use is heavier weights.   I considered that when setting mine up but the serp belt is SO good, it's hard to change.
  The mini-Petter, that hates to start under a load, is a good use, but the clutch will take too much HP, IMO.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 04:13:34 AM »
Doug:

i think your lister/generator/inverter idea is a sound one, seems honda, yamaha and others are using this approach to
good effect.

i passed up a 30hp dc motor some time ago, that i am sure would have made a heck of a dc generator,
having picked up a 15kwatt 3 phase ups, i wish now i would have gotten the motor and set it up on my 25/2

would have been pretty cool as the front end battery voltage on the inverter is 220volt dc.

would have been a sweet setup, pure sine wave, spot on frequency regulation, power conditioning and grid connectable.

maybe i should look for another heavy high output dc gen head. if i can find one for the 50 bucks they wanted for the last one, it wouldnt cost much to give it a try.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Johnm49

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 03:18:05 PM »
The DC system would be nice but there is a draw back using an inverter. I find that they will last about 10 years on a continuous load. After that time the circuit boards are getting weak. This causes the unit to get unstable and just shut off with out warning. I have experience with APC & Triplite, both real popular in industry. So if you don’t mind saving your pocket change for 10 yrs for a new one it’s a good setup.   :-\

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »
i guess all good things have to come to an end sometime...
and i would suppose inverters are the same..

the unit i have is a 15kwatt, 3 phase unit, made by exide corp
should be built a bit better than consumer grade stuff,

i dunno, keepin it simple is probably a hard thing to beat.

a lister and a st head, can't get much more simple than that

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info