Author Topic: what size cooling tank  (Read 11895 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: what size cooling tank
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 06:31:52 PM »
The evaporation cooling on my Witte is one of the deal makers.  Just check the coolant every once in a while.  I'm also an easy mark with anything that uses one of those leather-like link belts.

i'm still thinking that a perpetual water faucet returning hot water to a copper tub would be a head turner at show.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »

I love this style of old tech.  I don't understand why so many of these technologies seem to be forgotten or dismissed these days. Probably the same as everything else. Profit.

Profit, and convenience... it's so much easier to install a split a/c unit than it is to re-build your house with water walls or whatever, for example.... But yes, profit too.

I think you'll love these two websites. Make sure you've eaten and have a few cold beers to hand before getting started, I reckon you'll be reading for a while :D

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com
http://www.notechmagazine.com

The former is full of detailed and often fascinating articles; the latter is more a summary of stuff the owner found on the web, but they're both great sites.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 12:28:30 AM »
Enjoyed the links, Ade,  thanks!  The article on water-haudraulic power distribution in early industrial cities was a real eye opener.  We have newer toys, but the industrial engineers of the mid 1800s era did amazing things. 

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 03:45:00 AM »
....i'm still thinking that a perpetual water faucet returning hot water to a copper tub would be a head turner at show.
Casey 

I've thought of that, but finding a tiny pump to take the hot water is tougher.  Most of those setups use a small fountain pump, if I could find one for hot water, it'd be spiffy..

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 03:52:05 AM »
The brushless 12VDC "Topsflow" brand pumps can handle hot water and are fairly cheap. They are used for solar hot water systems and such. We tried them for my new neighbor's system and they have worked well.  They are made in China so perhaps you can find them down there.  They meet your "tiny" flow requirement as well.  Low head, low flow, low power.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:53:43 AM by BruceM »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 06:15:10 AM »
Ade,

I don't know how you think a few cold beers will do, more like a dozen cases and a fortnight with the wife away at her mothers!

Cheers for the links.

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 08:36:04 PM »
I don't know how you think a few cold beers will do, more like a dozen cases and a fortnight with the wife away at her mothers!

Cheers for the links.

Haha - I've known about them for years, so I got to read them a bit at a time  ;D

Have you got to the rope power transmission stuff yet?  :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 11:15:02 PM »
Most of those pumps are not submersible like a fountain pump, so hiding the water supply line becomes harder (for the magic hose bib stunt).  I guess it has to be done under the bottom of the bucket.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »
Why not use an engine-powered pump? You can either make it obvious what's going on (pipes going into the bucket, and into the tap), or you can do the "magic tap" thing (explained in rather delightful 1970s style here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzBOEwnFQs)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 08:01:22 AM »
I do agree that it can get a bit preachy over the environment sometimes, I tend to glaze over those bits & concentrate on the tech...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
The other thing I have always admired it the Russian stove. A fireplace of substantial thermal mass with a long weaving flue to impart it's heat into the masonry. Minimal firing needed as the structure holds the heat generated and releases it into the home over an extended time.   

Getting our masonry heater permitted via the local Air Quality Board, added a year to our house plans.  It took that long to explain and prove to them, that masonry heater, is cleaner than catalytic stoves or pellet stoves, and used less fuel.  We burn 2, 5 gallon buckets of wood on an average winter day, for a 2 story 2300sf house. If it drops below freezing in daytime, 3 or 4 buckets (1 or 2 daily firings at full air flow for 1 hour, about 40 lbs of wood per burn.  A 5 gal bucket is the right size, and a clean way to carry 20lbs of wood at a time)  Takes 4 days to warm the heater up fully, and in the summer, it's thermal mass acts like a chiller to keep the ground floor cool.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
Monkey see - Monkey do.  I was thinking to just replace the screen assembly with a water tap and bucket using a pump much like the one used in the screen video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCKz1aAcISE

Oops, there's another one of those leather-like link belts.  Does the male ear ever tire of that wonderful sound?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245