Puppeteer

Author Topic: Governor linkage mod  (Read 1946 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Governor linkage mod
« on: May 28, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »
Hi All

Having got the 3/6/8 CS bitza water cooled, at last, I've been playing with the linkage, trying to cut down the hunting.

After fettling everything, a mix of original and Indian parts, I had it down to an 8 rpm flutter, idling or on load.

I wanted to put a light spring on the free end of the rack to spring cut down the backlash but couldn't be arsed to strip down and drill a fitting into the rack, and anyway there was no likely spots for the other end of the spring.

I came up with the idea of tensioning the whole thing against it's self using the holes in the clevis pins, a spring from a set of twin SU carbs and a curved link knocked up from a 2.5mm welding rod

I had to slightly increase the tension on the governor spring, the flutter is now down to around 4 rpm, result! I don't think I'll get much better

Hopefully the photo explains all......

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

carlb23

• View Profile
Re: Governor linkage mod
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »
yup, i did the same thing on my 6/1 about 10 years ago but instead of using a piece of rod and a spring i just used a light tension spring with long ends.