Author Topic: I guess you Northern Hemisphere chaps would call this a Barn Find"  (Read 7749 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Complete with 50 years of birdshit & dust

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1268789475

or just go to   -   trademe.co.nz  and look at listing # 1268789475

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: I guess you Northern Hemisphere chaps would call this a Barn Find"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:02:30 PM »
Yup.  That's a barn find.  I prefer that I find them under a tarp or in a box.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

guest23837

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:19:24 PM »
It looks good I want it  :)

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:38:52 AM »

Yeah, and machines such as that Lister were not only designed to have a long service life - they were designed with forethought so that they could be rebuilt to a standard that would give ANOTHER long service life after that

And when folks like Mr 38ac and Mr Dieselgman et al take something to bits and measure all the components and clearances with the aim of sending it back out the shop door to the customer "as good as new" - or probably better - that's kind of an affirmation of the build philosophy of those old engineers of the interbellum era

It's worth commenting that, seventy or eighty years ago, raw materials were really expensive (largely as a result of the labour involved in mining/refining/transport etc), and the manufacturing (done by men who were skilled machinists) was an expensive process.  Now the raw materials are handled in bulk with nary a human being in the process and they are worth almost nothing, the labour of smelting/casting is done in the third world and the wages are in third-world currencies - again worth almost nothing, and assembly is either by robots or by sweat-shop staff who might as well be robots.

That TV may well have cost $20 to produce

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 06:33:15 PM »
I really like hearing about the old days.  Brass was probably the cheapest thing they could find to put their brand on the unit.  Wow, did I wake up on the wrong side of the bed. 

Cheers,

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 12:15:10 AM »
Gee Casey, I thought I was cynical.  Y'all have a nice day over there  :)

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 02:14:59 AM »
Love to have one of these old girls and at this price...maybe..., but i think it would cost more for shipping ( for me ) then the asking/selling price, but still would love to have one.
B

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 04:54:17 AM »
I think that if I had found that engine and was able to drag it home with me, it would have caused an accident in me shorts.  :o

It is sad that there is little quality and pride left. It really has no value anymore.  I went today to carry off the trash to the local collection station, and lo and behold, there sat an old 50's
vintage heavy solid cast iron PowerKraft (Montgomery Wards) bench grinder poised upon the lip of the scrap container. Of course I scarfed it right quick!  Yes it runs like new and has 2 good wheels on it.  Now who would throw away a quality tool of that caliber?  I can't get my head around people today.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 05:22:55 AM »
Yeah, in our workshop at work I have a big drill press and an old grinder - both made in New Zealand, from the days when we used to make stuff rather than import it from China and throw it away a year or two later.  Both 50-odd years old, still used every day . . .  I paid $50 for one and $100 for the other

guest23837

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
I think that if I had found that engine and was able to drag it home with me, it would have caused an accident in me shorts.  :o

It is sad that there is little quality and pride left. It really has no value anymore.  I went today to carry off the trash to the local collection station, and lo and behold, there sat an old 50's
vintage heavy solid cast iron PowerKraft (Montgomery Wards) bench grinder poised upon the lip of the scrap container. Of course I scarfed it right quick!  Yes it runs like new and has 2 good wheels on it.  Now who would throw away a quality tool of that caliber?  I can't get my head around people today.
Ron.

I wish my recycling centre was like that, here in Ireland there's "no scavenging" signs and CCTV on skips bins etc. Things I've seen dumped include a welding table, petrol mowers a roll cabinet even a Schwinn bicycle someone must have imported from the States all bound for China and recycling. Of course being in Ireland you have to pay to get into the the recycling centre, pay to dispose of used engine oil (€1.00 per liter) old car batteries etc on top. It's a great business model, charge people over the odds to dispose of stuff, after they sort it of course, then sell it on to the Chinese. The reason for the "no scavenging" rule? The new religion of Health & Safety. Not everyone recycles of course, you can see anything from a truck tyre to a fridge or mattress dumped along the road. I pay for this to be collect too with my taxes. Grrr

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
           Seems the current crop of shop managers with business degrees and no shop savvy are slowly killing once productive businesses. My son worked a while in a well known car and farm machinery dealership and could not understand the decisions. He phoned me one day to get down the shop in a hurry, and I arrived to find a top brand valve refacing machine and matching seat cutter system on a pallet ready to go in the skip bin. The excuse was "Nobody here has been trained to use it, and we just fit exchange recon heads now".  Taught myself to use it in about twenty minutes, and it does a perfect job.
          Got a similar call a little later and arrived to find a top class Japanese lawn mower in the skip bin, and was invited to get it out of the way promptly. Seems they were now agents for a well known brand of green and yellow farm machines and mowers, and could not be seen to mow their tiny front lawn with a machine of any other colour. Gave the machine an oil change and a pair of blades, and it has not missed a beat in years. Still trying to understand the logic applied by their leadership.
          Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »
In the City of Palmerston North, where I work - a city of 78,000 folks - there used to be a proper Engineer's Supplies store but it was pushed out of business by a shinier, new store that basically sells plastic stuff.  Recently I needed a 1" BSPT tap to repair some damaged threads, but couldn't find one in stock anywhere in the city.  The biggest Plumber's Merchants didn't have one; and the chap behind the counter - a man in his forties or fifties - didn't know what it was.  To him a "tap" is just a faucet.  Maybe I'm just a bloody dinosaur?

guest23837

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
I really think are dumbing down, the lowest common denominator is now an aspiration. Silly nonsense on social media isn't helping. Most people I know especially people under 40 would need an operation to get their phone out of their hand. All this knowledge and information available in a modern phone and people are stupider than ever. (the missus says stupider isn't a word) I was sent to the local hardware store to get a mop I had no idea where a mop would be so I asked a store assistant, a gulpin with his hands in his pockets where the mops were. He pointed to the far wall, with his leg, hands still in pockets and said they're over there.

I agree with the OP, people work in shops with no idea what they're doing or what you're trying to do. For example the motor factors I use is owned by two brothers in their 60's the place smells of gear oil and parts and accessories are everywhere. Ask for an oil filter and plugs for say a Ford Focus and one of them goes to the shelf and picks them out. Go into a modern motor factors or Halfords ask for anything and the ask for your chassis number. Now I don't drive a Ford but they're a popular car in Ireland and these robots can never remember where stuff is without a computer. Do they have so little interest in what they do that they cant immediately put their hand on an item that they sell dozens of each week?

Here's another major irritation. There's a chain of DIY stores in Ireland called Woodies. They sell Petrol lawnmowers, petrol strimmers, petrol pressure washers etc all under the G-Mach brand, a brand exclusive to woodies. They appear to be Chinese and they work for a while but what happens if they break down? Woodies don't carry any spare parts, the manufacturer doesn't supply spare parts to them so if it breaks down in 10 months or 11 months 3 weeks and 6 days you get a new one, no questions asked. After that you have to suck it up. FFS throwaway petrol power tools. Insanity in my opinion

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »
OK Guys.

Mr. Cynical writing.

You're blaming the pushers for the junkies decisions.  It's actually called a rule in the world of economics or what I call the science of predicting the past.  "Cheap money will always replace Expensive money."  The reason there is so much crap available for sale today is because it SELLS!  Much like cheap heroin.

I believe there are are few among us that respect nice stuff any more than I whether the badges are made of hand tooled brass or etched into the stainless cover plates.   This "Buy crap and live the short life" philosophy is a world movement.  It started just after the iron age began and people stopped using their bronze swords.  Sometimes a tool that you're going to use three times in you life makes the crap choice the "One" but as a life standard - I don't get it either.

I too love the "No Scavenging" sign next to the metal recycle bin at the transfer station.  I was chased out of the plastic recycle bin for taking 5 gallon buckets.  The other four people at the station booed the attendant.

And this is what makes Barn Finds so much fun and a thrill to be shared with like minded people. 

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

guest23837

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
OK Guys.

Mr. Cynical writing.

You're blaming the pushers for the junkies decisions.  It's actually called a rule in the world of economics or what I call the science of predicting the past.  "Cheap money will always replace Expensive money."  The reason there is so much crap available for sale today is because it SELLS!  Much like cheap heroin.

I believe there are are few among us that respect nice stuff any more than I whether the badges are made of hand tooled brass or etched into the stainless cover plates.   This "Buy crap and live the short life" philosophy is a world movement.  It started just after the iron age began and people stopped using their bronze swords.  Sometimes a tool that you're going to use three times in you life makes the crap choice the "One" but as a life standard - I don't get it either.

I too love the "No Scavenging" sign next to the metal recycle bin at the transfer station.  I was chased out of the plastic recycle bin for taking 5 gallon buckets.  The other four people at the station booed the attendant.

And this is what makes Barn Finds so much fun and a thrill to be shared with like minded people. 

Casey

Casey, I agree about the throwaway society but I hate it. Make the thing, whether it's a cylinder head or a pipe bender out of quality materials and it will last. This crap is just using valuable resources for a short term quick buck.  In my local recycling center there are guys that act like "recycling police", I know they only work there but they really can be OTT at times looking at cardboard in case a tetra pack has slipped in and removing plastic from the skip and giving it back because it was an empty engine oil can. I tried to tell him the can was actually a by product of the industry but eventually had to tell him to go fcuk himself and take the can back.

My brother is also old school, lives in the shed and he used to make waste oil stoves for sheds. He now makes wood burners as waste oil is very scarce because its valuable. In the local recycling center they weigh the can with the waste oil,  I assume 1 liter weighs 1 kilo and they charge you a Euro  a liter to empty the oil.

I too spend quite a lot of time in the shed and the missus wonders what I'm doing there, then we have a small storm. In 5 minutes I have one generator powering the water pump and the freezer in the shed and another supplying light and power in the house via a UPS. Not quite seamless yet but I'm working on getting a bigger engine and a bigger alternator. I bet loads of you guys have better more integrated systems but mine works for me. Some neighbors don't have a candle or an oil lamp, I have the tilley and a wallback lamp but even if they had a candle they ofter don't have matches or a lighter as nobody smokes or lights a fire. My kids would have to die of cold in the dark but thats modern people, they are like fragile southern belles standing by the Mississippi saying "help"