Author Topic: diesel conversion  (Read 5159 times)

MoHillbilly

• View Profile
diesel conversion
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:55:37 AM »
Hi all!  First post here...

I have always been interested in old school technology, my shop and the antique engines and tractor show it!

There is one thing that I am curious about, Has anyone ever converted an old gasoline stationary engine over to run on diesel (or similiar fuels) ?

I have an old 1927 ish McCormick deering 1.5 HP that is in bad need of a rebuild.  And being how this engine is pretty much rock solid, i was wondering if anyone has attemted to run a low grade fuel through such a critter?  Mot looking to install an injector pump or anything like that, just run it on diesel....

any thoughts on this??????

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: diesel conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 06:16:13 AM »
carburating diesel is the problem, most carbs arent designed to suck up diesel which is heavier than gas,
so rejetting is an issure, and maybe more.

also diesel has a tendancy to foul the plugs , and short them.. so a high energy ignition might be called for.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Julian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:54:45 AM »
Hi, most of the small spark ignition engines in the UK of that vintage were available as petrol/paraffin, The Lister D (K) was by far the most prolific. (I have one of these) It incorporated a carb with a variable main jet, a vapouriser (essentially a method to heat the intake with exhaust heat) two fuel tanks and a changeover valve. Starting and stopping is done on petrol, when warm and under load you can swap to oil.

I think Diesel fuel oil is just a tad too heavy for reliable operation. You need paraffin, maybe better known as kerosine or 28second (viscosity) gas oil. In the UK the light oil used for domestic oil fired central heating works just fine.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 12:21:06 PM »
a lot of the old stationary engines were designed to run on gas or kerosene.fairbanks, wittes,stovers,were kerosene burners. not all of them but a lot were. some of the ole stovers ran the exhaust thru the carb. to make it hot enough to run on kerosene.some of the engines heads were hot heads and did not water in them so they were hotter.some of the ole stovers had a 3 adj. on the carb. one for gas.one for kerosene  and one to inject water to cool combustion on kerosene to prevent knock..the trouble of running kerosene is starting and stopping and the smell...sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

lev-l-lok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »
Mo, you might look for a mixer for a 1-1/2 or 3 hp fairbanks, circa 1922. These were split mixers, 1 side you put gas in to start and warm (about 3 oz) the other side was a siphon kero feed, each side has jet adjustments. Sid is right about the smell, if adjusted just right, its barely tolerable. Oh, avoid the mixers with water feed, they were a problem, and were abandoned by most mfg as to much trouble.

Paul
Paul

1922 Fairbanks 6 hp Z, Chang Fa ZS1115G / Fuking ST-10, Lister? soon!

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 02:53:16 PM »
a lot of people own a kerosene burner and do not know it. like you said, if it has a small cup to hold a little fuel and it has 2  carb. adj. screws.you have a kerosene burner.some use a high tension mag. and a spark plug and some use a low tension mag and an ignitor/sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

MoHillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »
Lots of good advice here!    This is more of an experiment than anything, so if it works, great! If not, no big deal.

The carburator is an integral part of the cast iron head, which is not water cooled.  The main jet is fully adjustable and should not be an issue.  I guess all that remains is the ignition system, its an old Wico, makes one helluva spark!  I may look into making an iginition coil and a set of point from some other critter.  I have used a hand wound coil on an old 1917 fuller and johnson for years and its got a VERY HOT spark.

Thanks for the replies folks!

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 07:37:22 PM »
I used motel t buzz coils for many years but they are sensitive to almost everything.they do have a mean spark. I have switched over to home made buzz coils that work much better and are easier to maintain,,I use a regular car coil, a capacitor and a relay from a car,, it has a much hotter spark,gives the long buzz that you need and is easy to repair.if you need a picture and parts for one let me know//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

MoHillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 08:06:59 PM »
If you could post something about that buzz coil, i would appreciate it!  I have seen them , but never messed around with them.  Thanks

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 09:19:07 PM »
check ://www.smokstak.com/forum/ that have a real good article on buzz coils.. they may have one one the homemade version//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 09:45:20 PM »
also tryhttp://www.old-engine.com/magneto.htm// they have an excellent page on buzz coil.and that wonderful ???wico mag..follow the links and there is an article on making a buzz coil with the rely and car coil//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 03:25:10 AM »
I just rebuilt a 1959 Gravely tractor with a Wico magneto on it.   Look on ebay.  They are HOT!
Neat unit that mounts with two bolts and driven with a Joy-type coupler to any camshaft you want to.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.