Puppeteer

Author Topic: Witte Engine Skid Base  (Read 13788 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Witte Engine Skid Base
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:06:39 AM »
I have this 1200 pound plus Witte generator.  See avatar.  I'm thinking that because it runs pretty darn smooth that pouring a slab with anchor bolts is over kill.  I can't get pre-mix delivered here so concrete would take a lot of Girl Scout cookies.

The Witte is about six feet long and dimensioned lumber starts at 8 feet lengths so I would just cut the front of two 4 X 8, or 4 X 10, or 4 X 12 (s) off at 45 degrees and call that the base.  Then cut three cross members out of the same material spanning the total width - Flywheel Outside Edge to Flywheel Outside Edge.  Lastly I block those cross members in real snug with more of the same material.  Comments are solicited on:

1.   Yes or No on the concept?

B.   Which dimension of lumber?

3.  What kind of glue?

iv.  Red or Yellow Paint?

5.   In general I think......?

The skid will only be used for transporting the engine once.  From the carport out across 100 plus yards of lumpy field with a couple of turns and then into the generator pit.  (Pit is more for drama than actual description.)  I'll then level it up in a bed of "base course" or "3/4 minus" which ever they call unwashed crushed gravel in your part of the woods.

Casey

PS.  Sibling topic on this and Micro Co-Gen site.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:10:12 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Witte Engine Skid Base
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:11:14 AM »
For transport only? You will be keeping the unit bolted to your timbers in the final 'pit' of course? Will you be using soft lumber (spruce or pine)? Or can you get a good hardwood like oak? Good timber joinery would eliminate any need for glue (think dovetail). 4 x 8 in oak (or similar) is a pretty darn strong piece of structure. Good gravel ballast will keep just about anything from running away... it works great for freight trains and locomotives.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 09:46:07 AM »
dieselgman:
     The skid assembly is for transportation and final operational base.  It's on four large casters now but the cast iron base / 11 quart oil sump flexes if ran hard which seems "worrisome and wrong" to me.
     Oak would be nice but I'm thinking just plain fir from Home Depot.  It cottons up to framing adhesives really good or just buy a gallon of Gorilla.
     As Dr. Harold Callahan advised us "A man must know his limitations."  One of mine is mediocre square cut joinery. 
     The freight train reference is great reinforcement for the planned floor. 

glort:
     I'm going to drag it, skid with engine attached, using a 23 hp sub compact Kubota tractor.  The tractor can lift one end at a time with the front loader but that's it upper limit.  You know I do have a trailer stored over at the neighbors as back-up.  I'll keep that in mind should the dragging operation get too destructive.

Thanks for this boost of energy.  I just saw the Pit House as a skid assembly too. This would be built in place with only the appearance of temporary and portable.   I'm on a leasehold share cropper farm here and any building that is permanent incurs another rent "adjustment".  Let's not lose sight of building codes either.  Onward and upward.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:05:26 AM »
Just stick it on the ...train...and ship it to....ME!!! ;D

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
OK

glort:     
I see now it's a glorified heavy duty lawnmower with attachments.
     As a defender of Truth, Justice and the Souls of Sub Compacts around the planet I can not set idly by while one of the true work horses of the universe is defamed.  This tool of joy and fun has changed my world from a daily grind into a daily grind with perks and occasional fun.  "Fun" not really being an over used verb on small farms.  This tool has delivered incredible work loads for over 10 years asking never more than a $100 in maintenance or repairs per year.  I should also mention that it's the nicest Christmas present I've ever brought home for my wife of 49 years.  And at the estate sale it'll probably pull 50 cents on the dollar of new.     
As for your " Building", would a small shipping container be viable/ practical/ allowable?
     I'm very pro containers too.  But not in my back yard.  And I can't get a container up the hill from the road.  I like wood.  I think I may have a skid fetish as well.  Wooden skids take me back to a time before evil.  You know, before the wheel.  I never got past gas welding either.  Wood is warm, organic and traps carbon (Sorry, I couldn't resist).  I'm starting to think of a structure that has the aroma of the vardo.  https://www.google.com/search?q=vardo+gypsy+wagon&biw=1229&bih=619&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsm5S2-9fRAhVkilQKHeruDfEQsAQIGQ  You know; a pre-wheel vardo.  Perhaps a vardo with Viking influences.  And SuperSized.
Are you going to connect the Genny to anything or just want to enjoy watching it run?
Ouch; Unfortunately close to the truth.  The dream is to disconnect from the grid in 2020.  We use a lot of electricity so it won't be easy although we did harvest 28+ KW of solar today.  It is the dry season now but  in June, in spite of it being the time of the solstice, 10 KW isn't bad so it will be a battery charger for the most part.

quinnbrian:     
Just stick it on the ...train...and ship it to....ME!!!
     Sure.  You just go down to the Mid-Pacific station next Friday afternoon and it'll be waiting for you.  The train may be a bit late so why not get yourself an ice cream and enjoy.   ;)

Here's my local ad; http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/wan/5926426257.html

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
Sure.  You just go down to the Mid-Pacific station next Friday afternoon and it'll be waiting for you.  The train may be a bit late so why not get yourself an ice cream and enjoy.   Wink

Something tells me your going to be .....really late!! LMAF

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 04:05:50 AM »
Take it apart - if your loader will lift one end, then it should lift the pieces.  Pull the generator and engine off the base, then move the base first.  Get the base in place and all leveled up, etc.  Then move the engine and then the generator.  Re-assemble, add new oil, and your done.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
Thob:

Now that is an idea that I would never come to on my own.  How very interesting.  I often suggest to Joan, my wife, that she make many trips from and to the car to bring in the groceries rather than hurt her back by trying to carry to much at one time.  I have planned on using a different generator any way.  At the very least this is the plan B we hear so much about.

What do you think of the double 4X10 fir skid as the station base?

Safety Red or Safety Yellow?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »
glort:

Nice letter for a guy that must type 60 words per minute.

It there a reason why you have picked 2020 to go off grid?
I'm afraid my handle tells it all.  I'm just a LowGear kind of guy.  I'm also up to my armpits in unfinished projects so I have to slide short ones in that will consummate into a big one on down the road.  We average around 50 KW a day.  We get letters from the utility company saying bad things about us.  I write back that they should encourage good customers.  I'm hoping another gas dryer and hooking the solar water heater up will help some but we just use a lot of electricity and it's going to take a while to get there and feel secure.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »
Here's what's happening over at Microcogen:http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=3539.0
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
Since I have no chance at figuring out how to post pics anymore, I guess my avatar can tell the story, but only if you have a magnifying glass!
Seriously Casey if you want to PM me your email, I will get some good clear pics to you, if you are interested.
Yes the Xing Dong does vibrate. Terribly. I added CHEAP pneumatic tires to de-couple from the garage floor, before that you could feel it through the whole house.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 03:36:52 AM »
We average around 50 KW a day.

I was going to say that doesn't seem unreasonable as I use that or better in winter and my house is pretty efficient. I'm in VA.

Then I looked at this: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/sales_revenue_price/pdf/table5_a.pdf

Wow, you are using some juice. You would think they would at least send you a thank you card with your bill. Is the grid that taxed in Paradise?

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 07:28:50 AM »
broncodriver99 and glort:

Yes that's a lot.  3 times the average.  On my island it's more like 32 cent a KW.  Five years ago it was 44 cents.  

Here's the rationalization.  Tonight we have three farm volunteers, two BnB guests and the two of us.  What's a BnB without a pool and hot tub or water features?  I feel like I spend 10 minutes a day just walking around and turning stuff off.  The farm doesn't use much electricity.

HELCO, the Hawaii Electric Company, (The company from Hell) just got the Utilities commission to rewrite the grid tie rules so that all new systems only get a 50% credit for grid contributions and any upgraded systems lose their grandfathered 100%.  HELCO makes 100% profit on my investment every day.  Poor utilities.  How can they make with only an annual mark-up of 36,500%?  Oh yeah, I pay them 32 cents for those kilowatts I need later in the evening.  Think you could explain it without using naughty words?

In spite of the fact that there is enough geo-thermal to power the entire island HELCO is requesting a permit for a natural gas generation system.  You don't get shipping revenue from geo-thermal.  Nor Solar or Wind.  They're a multi-faced corporation with fingers in every 20th century based business you can think of.

Aloha
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:33:24 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
HELCO is not much different than any other large corporation. They exist to make profit for the shareholders, and will do anything to increase profits right up to the edge of the law to do that; a CEO that doesn't, gets canned.  Picking and funding candidates for regulatory agencies and legislature is cheap and an effective way to increase profits, and is legal, so they do.  Most of the voting public seems to support this system.

Off grid seems like a big deal until you do it, and then you wonder why anyone would want to be grid connected.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:52 PM »

BruceM said "Off grid seems like a big deal until you do it, and then you wonder why anyone would want to be grid connected."

I wholeheartedly agree. We went off-grid 4 years ago. Had corporate power before that, had them come and disconnect us.
We are in the Pacific Northwest, not a whole lot of sun here, but enough to make it work. My winter fuel bills for the generator are less than my previous monthly electric bill, and the now rates are increased significantly since we went off-grid. Great for our frequent power outages too! We are the only ones in the area with power, water, and communication then.
BTW, we use about 2 to 2.5 KWH per day, including my shop tools.

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project