Puppeteer

Author Topic: Heated fat?  (Read 12653 times)

n2toh

• View Profile
Heated fat?
« on: December 26, 2005, 06:03:54 PM »
has anyone used heated fat to fuel a Lister type?
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

kpgv

Re: Heated fat?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 07:37:04 AM »
I'm interested in burning "WVO" (waste "vegetable" oil) too, like from MickeyD's, which surely has some "fat" in it.
The deal is that the "fuel injection" system will REQUIRE you to HEAT whatever kind of "oil" you propose to burn to a point that the VISCOSITY "works" within the flow and pumping  parameters as designed for regular pump "fossil diesel".
I'm interested to hear more about your "heated fat" idea, and maybe your proposed sources. My success in this endeavour is predicated on free, or VERY low cost "waste" oil.
Where I live, the cost of "grid" power converts to $.80/gal fuel cost to break "even"; The PLUM for me is the "co-gen" hot water to heat the shop, and maybe house hot water too...

Kevin

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm interested in burning "WVO" (waste "vegetable" oil) too, like from MickeyD's, which surely has some "fat" in it.
The deal is that the "fuel injection" system will REQUIRE you to HEAT whatever kind of "oil" you propose to burn to a point that the VISCOSITY "works" within the flow and pumpingĀ  parameters as designed for regular pump "fossil diesel".
I'm interested to hear more about your "heated fat" idea, and maybe your proposed sources. My success in this endeavour is predicated on free, or VERY low cost "waste" oil.
Where I live, the cost of "grid" power converts to $.80/gal fuel cost to break "even"; The PLUM for me is the "co-gen" hot water to heat the shop, and maybe house hot water too...

Kevin

I to use WVO in my VW Passat, but wanted to know if anyone has been using fat like if they worked for a butcher or something.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 03:59:20 PM »
Maybe the real question is--- IS there a difference between corn/peanut/canola oil and lard.  I don't think there is.  Fat is oil is fuel.  Both have non-fuel components and burn better if hot.  The bio diesel process takes out the non-fuel parts but the oils can be used as is if the engine is started and stopped on mineral fuel.

One of my hunting partners owns and operates a large meat packing company.  He has large vats of pig scraps being rendered into lard 24/7.  One of his workers brought a whole salmon to work one night and wrapped the fish in chicken wire and dropped it in the rendering vat to cook it.  The fish smell ruined 1000 gallons of lard. (and cost him his job.)  ;)
  *Many* fast food places uses lard or a mixture of animal and veggie fat to cook chicken, french fries, and donuts.  I think our "WVO" may be pig parts also.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Mr X

• View Profile
Jet B
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 02:03:57 AM »
For a number of years I have been hording contaminated jet b helicopter fuel. I heat my house with it. I have to mix it 50/50 with diesel or jet a . I use the old style space heater with a carburator. Enough on that my question is dose any one have experiance with burning jet a or b in their roid . Im sure oil added for lubricity is a must but at what ratio
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

n2toh

• View Profile
Re: Jet B
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 05:47:39 AM »
For a number of years I have been hording contaminated jet b helicopter fuel. I heat my house with it. I have to mix it 50/50 with diesel or jet a . I use the old style space heater with a carburator. Enough on that my question is dose any one have experiance with burning jet a or b in their roid . Im sure oil added for lubricity is a must but at what ratio

dono about jet fuel in a roid but I knew a guy who bruned jet fuel in his VW diesel, he said it didn't run as good as #2 because of the higher distillates in the mix.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 06:11:33 AM »
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html
this refers to yeild from various veggie oils. It starts in Kg per Hectar crop yeild, but it also identifies the major oil crops, and the cetane number, as well as other fuel properties of each. It's a good starting point.
Unrefined veggie oil has glyserine and other constituents that are harmful to diesel engines. Some engines tolerate them better than others. Listeroids with precombustion chambers seem more tolerant, although the sellers of GM90 engines may want to comment as well. Some modern engines pack up for good after running for as little as 20 hours on pure palm oil.
Valve and ring problems are common, and more frequent service teardowns for cleaning would be expected. On the other hand, operating expenses would be a whole order of magnatude lower if it works!
Third world scientists are vitally aware of the benefits of running engines directly on fresh squeezed oil. Research on which engines run best, as well as which oil types etc will work is an on-going afair.
Our Listeroids could be at the forefront of a second technological revolution ;D
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Stan

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
I"ve seen some comments to the effect that carbonizing might be a problem with bio fuels.  I hope everyone is aware that the original Lister manual states quite plainly that it must be torn down every 1000 hours to scrape the carbon off the piston top and head, as well as cleaning the jet.
Stan

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 04:38:41 AM »
Would it be wrong to obtain fuel from liposuction clinics?

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »
I read somewhere that a a group was putting together a project to go on a bus trip to promot a healthy life style or some such and the bus was to be powered by their own bodyfat retrieved from liposuction...

Joe

Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 04:21:07 PM »
I hope the exhaust doesn't smell as bad as I'm guessing it does.

kpgv

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 04:57:34 PM »
Might be a way to test the "You are what you eat" theory ;)

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 06:30:20 PM »
I don't think human fat would smell any worse than the pork and turkey fat I've burned

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »
If you have never smeled human fat hope you never do!   Thomas

kyradawg

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 08:53:15 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 05:46:42 PM by kyradawg »