Author Topic: Advice Needed - Generator Shed Build  (Read 9156 times)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Re: Advice Needed - Generator Shed Build
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 02:02:41 AM »
Build it double sized  and when complete you will still wish there was twice as much room to work with.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 08:44:08 AM »
Hey guys...

Why don't you just do a balancing job on the beast.... After that, you could probably run it on a channel frame sitting on concrete of  thickness and hardness suitable to carry the weight only..... It makes one hell of a big difference long term, plus its more portable too...

Just a thought...

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »
I agree, EdDee,  That is the timeless question.  I really like 38AC's method for balancing best; a big time saver.  I was formerly a Mr X method fan.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
All balancing methods give varying levels of ease and success... Nothing beats pulling the wheels and doing the balance without the rest of the machine getting in the way... While the wheels are off, drill the webs for counterweight balance installation on crank throw radius and you are well set for having a really smooth engine later.... This does of course rely on the gib keys being able to be pulled, but well worth the effort...

I was reminded of that today when i ran up TM2 .... From 0 to 700 rpm there is one very narrow rev band, around 300rpm or so, that causes a very small sway in the genhead as the chassis harmonics match..... Absolutely smooth for the rest... And the whole gamut is not bolted to terra firma even....
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
Make the machine run smoother?  Let's not get hysterical here.

My Witte is already pretty darn smooth and I've always had a fetish for wooden skids.  Yes Ed, that shall be my scheme.  I'm thinking 8 X 8 skids with 6 x 6 let in cross members.  And no humping concrete anywhere.  Has anyone seen something over the top for a design model? 

A Camp Aloha mantra.  "There is nothing more permanent than temporary,"  So a couple of rough sketches of your new addition might help decide on the actual proportions and dimensions.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
Why don't you just do a balancing job on the beast.... After that, you could probably run it on a channel frame sitting on concrete of  thickness and hardness suitable to carry the weight only..... It makes one hell of a big difference long term, plus its more portable too...
Cheers
Ed

Hi Ed, as mentioned in my opening post, I do not intend to mount the Listeroid in this shed.
The power will most likely come from a Changfa CHP unit. When Changfa bases are placed on flex rubber mounts there is very little vibration and zero "thump".

cheers mate,
Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 06:48:35 PM »
Oops.

At any rate; Thanks for the discussion and direction.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 11:19:23 PM »
It's ok Casey. I thought I went a little over the top when I built the 4" x 10" (or somewhere thereabouts) white oak frame for my Xing Dong and 10kw st head. I did mount a really cheap set of pneumatic tires to isolate the hummmm from the garage slab. Yes the whole house vibrated.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous