Author Topic: DIY winter fuel ?  (Read 9517 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
DIY winter fuel ?
« on: December 05, 2016, 06:15:49 AM »
Going over my manual for the 2013 Hatz genset (sold by Robin-Subaru)  HATZ 1B30 diesel BA_1B_EN_43380210.pdf
 I find this in the Fuel & Oil section

Winter fuel
When outside temperatures drop below 0°C, use winter fuel or mix in petroleum in advance:
Lowest ambient temperature at start [°C] Percentage of petroleum [%] for Summer fuel
 0 to -10         20%
-10 to -15      30%
-15 to -20      50%

So I don't mind mixing up some DIY winter fuel, but wanted to run this by this august community.
We're forecast for low 20°F ( -5°C ) next week  and I wonder about using the same mix in the 6/1 listeroid too ?

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: DIY winter fuel ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »
Back in the 70's and 80's we added 15% aviation fuel to marine diesel for winter operations in Norway in landing craft working in temperatures down to - 40 (c or f, it's the same!)

The motors were Foden FD6 two strokes, they definitely ran 8 / 10 degrees hotter. it made no difference to the crew, we had open, unheated cockpits

I doubt the Royal Navy was buying fancy diesel for arctic operations!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:15:51 PM »
Yes, the table is for summer fuel
I add new motor oil, or 2 stroke oil to my pump diesel, my 6/1 wants well lubed fuel in it's pump, I liked the bio-diesel, but can't get the straight anymore, only BD 5 or 10
I get aviation gas from the airport, so it's alcohol free
Locals here don't know what winter fuel is, so I doubt they carry it, it seldom gets below +15°F
No chance of heat soaking either fuel tank, in a 3 sided shed in cold weather, the Hatz has thermal shields
around the tank, and it's a remote tank on the listeroid which, even with a working thermostat, barely heats up
it's 20 gallon tank before the battery gets charged in about 2 hours

I've ordered one of the air heater plugs (got a package notice for the post office today) but it will take a while to rig that up, so mixing up a brew of this looks like the plan.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:16:35 AM »
I run 2 stroke oil in about everything I have that's diesel. Hey, it's all old, pre non-sulpher spec'ed stuff.
About an ounce of TCW3 to the gallon and usually some powerservice slickdiesel.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:03:53 PM »
I mix about 8% RUG into the WVO to thin it.  I then try and keep that to a maximum of 40% mixed in with either bio-diesel or diesel.  Then every few tank fulls I switch to pure diesel for a few tanks just to make myself feel like a real American.  The Isuzu NPR seems pretty much as happy no matter what I pour into the tank.  It's a great machine and the aroma is far superior when I'm running a WVO variant and the WVO-biodiesel is the sweetest.  And we all know the nose knows a healthy outcome.

The Kubota tractor is pretty much a straight diesel machine.  It'll run on biodiesel but it is slow to start.  Both of these machines get chilled down to maybe 65 degrees in mid winter ;~).

We still have a biodiesel company here in Hawaii but I'll agree with glort that it has lost it's glamour and place in the market place here.  I guess it's lost even more of it's market place in mainline America.  While it was a very much a "greenie" program in it's start it also must have other merits or it would disappear completely.  As we're still eating deep fried foods I wonder what the current use of WVO is besides the land fill?

Casey

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:43:07 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »
As we're still eating deep fried foods I wonder what the current use of WVO is besides the land fill?

Around here we have protein companies that buy it at pennies for the gallon. Most of it ends up as livestock feed from what I understand. Pigs will eat anything.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »
Update.
 27°F this am, after about 45 sec on the cranking, the Hatz finally started to cough up some smoke.  Then started.  I let it run for an hour to heat up the shed, I had a buddy coming over to help me swap out the intermediate Listeroid frame mounting bolts (sub frame bolted to frame)  They are a tad undersized and want to crack after a year of use, so I have a scheduled replacement cycle.    Then it started snowing while we were wrenching.   Finished up, and did the lube points on the engine.  After sitting close to a year (why do a project till you need it? ) it fired on the 3 compression.    Still had prime, and took 3 compression strokes on straight summer fuel.   It was so sweet to shut the Hatz off and listen to the chug of the Listeroid.  Cranked out about 3Kwh today, and then went in for dinner, and I get to play with it in the morning - looks like another 9-10 day stretch of rain/drizzle/no sun.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »
My wonderful Isuzu NPR is a 1986 but if I were to shop for a replacement I'd look for the 95-97 years as the engine in those is indirect injection and I've been lead to believe work with WVO even better than Izzy.

WVO as Livestock feed!  We'll feed those poor buggers anything.  The plant based diet looks better with every new wrinkle I get in the little gray cells.

Wow glort.  You sure type good.  I got interested in alternative fuels, WVO and biodiesel, to get away from the government.  I planted 40 oil palms a few years back to meet my plant a tree and save the planet needs.  I've installed solar to get away from the state empowered monopoly and regard tax credits much like profit sharing just like my big brother fossil fuel corporations.  I use LED lighting and other lower energy products because I believe a fellow just ought to leave a campsite cleaner when he leaves than it was when he arrived.  I'm glad I use ear and eye protection when I'm doing industrial type stuff.  I can still often hear a pin drop and, with cheaters, thread needles when I'm sowing weed block and greenhouse covers.  I feel kind of blessed that I can still do these kind of tasks while the majority my brothers and sisters are either dead or just waiting for God.  What did you decide on that gorgeous house?  So there you have it.  An American poop sandwich.  One of the nicest I've ever served.

Let me digress.  I look forward to February when a friend from British Columbia is visiting.  Here's a guy that at age 54 went to truck driving school because it's what he used to dream of when he was a kid.  He's now driving truck all over Vancouver Island, Canada and I'll be looking forward to see if he has modified his stand "You've got to be crazy to put gasoline of any amount in a Diesel."   OK, I PC'd the quote.

Brrrrrrr.  It got down to 68 here last night but Winter is still two weeks away and our really harsh weather doesn't arrive until mid January.

Casey
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:50:10 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »
Aloha glort,

Thanks for being a good sport.  I thought later I might have been a bit harsh.  It looks like a bleak four years ahead for we clean campers here in 'merica and the stress is taking it's toll.  I always admire local heroes.  That's what I call people that volunteer their time within their community. 

I remember when I first discouvered Listers.  I was totally convinced that heating the fuel in the cooling system was the road to clean and easy running.  No water but just fuel for coolant.  Not quite DIY fuel but pretty darn close.  Has this been done yet?

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 02:03:05 AM »
68 degrees my big 'ol butt! C'mon Casey, have a little shame, it's 26.8 freaking degrees in balmy TN.
I think around 200 degrees for diesel (you were  referring to  diesel right? Or vegoil)  would be a little too hot for me to be comfortable.
But the  Rumely Oil Pull  used oil in it's cooling system instead of water. I don't have a clue what weight or type, but I guess it worked pretty good.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
28.6 degrees.  Isn't that where the ice cube becomes stable?

The year we decided to immigrate we went 70+ days in Seattle without actually seeing the sun in person.  A bright spot in the clouds but no real Sun.

Happy Holiday Season to you all.  A time to remember the good things that have happened in your life.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 02:58:37 PM »
Oh yeah, my ice cubes are plenty stable ;D.

Merry Christmas Casey, and everyone else that celebrates the same.

Freakin' Hawaiian beach bums...... :D never make me believe you would spend time in Seattle, given a choice between that and the "Islands Mon". ::)
Ron.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 10:17:32 PM »
I spent more time at the beaches back when we'd visit the islands for a couple of weeks a year than I do now.  The farm rules.

Besides the wonderful rain right now - it's the dry season and it's a wonderful surprise - the temperature is really nice on the old body.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:11 PM »
These never below 65 degrees days and nights are very handy for people running mostly if not straight WVO.  They have to be careful not to park overnight mauka (mountain) where people have reported frost on their windows.  We all know what that means.  Waste Vegetable Grease.  Holy lift pumps Batman.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 12:48:30 AM »
65 degrees. Wow. Gee, you could run a Vegoilmobile on butter.
Casey I mean this in a friendly way, but you suck. Really. It's gonna be in the low 20's tonight and tomorrow night....BUT...... Near 70 on Saturday. That's Tennessee, if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes and it'll change.
Ron.