Puppeteer

Author Topic: LD1 fuel pump set up question  (Read 7090 times)

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
LD1 fuel pump set up question
« on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:01 PM »
Hello all;

I am the proud owner of a rather cantankerous LD1.  It does not like to start.  Once running, it runs along fine, but it does not like to start.  Filling the primer cup, hot air to the intake, even a much younger crank turner - still does not like to start.  It has good compression (I can barely turn the handle with the de-compression lever off), it will run and power the 1500watt generator with a load on it, so I presume I am getting fuel, the air cleaner is not restricted, and the exhaust port is clear, but it does not like to start.I have gotten a copy of the instruction manual Thanks Gary), and it mentions setting up the fuel pump by placing the fuel delivery switch lever into the run position, placing a 0.010 feeler gauge under the lever and ensuring the witness mark on the fuel rack is aligned with the fuel pump body.  Here is where we run into our first problem.....no witness mark.  I am wondering if any one out there with an LD1 that runs, could do me a huge favour and measure the length of the rack protruding out of the fuel pump body on the right side with the fuel lever in run?  Might give me a starting point.  Then I can move on to addressing things like clogged injectors, compression issues, spill timing, who knows (unless someone has run into this before and would be kind enough to point me in the right direction).  Thanks all and have a great day.

Peter
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: LD1 fuel pump set up question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
From what I can remember the LD1 has a sheetmetal latch with a protrusion on it. The fuel lever is clicked over this latch to start it. This allows the rack to move to an excess fuel position. The 0.010 clearance allows for a slight overload and it is so the engine doesn't blow clouds of black smoke on a severe overload. If nobody can come up with an answer before I will get the measurements for you on the weekend. A thought just occured to me maybe you can't see the reference mark because the rack has been assembled incorrectly because it is quite prominent on the R.H. end of the rack shaft.

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:42 AM »
Old goat;

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I thought about the reassembly enigma to the point of wondering if someone rebuilt it wrong and had the rack in backwards!  I have not looked at the rack with a mirror to make sure that this is not the case, but I think I am just one of the guys who has a faint witness mark.  Ah well.  Worse things in life I guess.  If you could get those measurements, I would certainly appreciate it.  I am starting to think it may be more of an injector problem (injector clogged, not clean, not spraying properly etc) or a fuel delivery problem ( fuel line cracked and leaking air, not holding a prime etc) than any thing else.  And of course, winter is coming so working in a draughty, unheated barn with wet fuel is always fun you know......

Peter
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:10:56 AM »
Hello Peter,
                Sounds like your rack is not moving fully to its left position to deliver excess fuel for starting. With the side cover off, and stop control in "run" position, pull the stop lever firmly out towards you and over the lug it rests against  and see that the rack now moves further left to full fuel position. Cranking the motor now you should hear a healthy creak or grunt from the injector. If not, then injector could be faulty. If OK then time to look at spill timing adjustment etc.
Fuel pumps can also get tired and not deliver enough fuel for good starting, but are OK when running at speed.  Hope the problem is something simple.Regards,
Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »
A few rough measurements for your rack length. These may be out by a couple of mm as it is a bit hard to get a ruler in there. Measured from the boss on the R.H. end on the fuel pump to end of the rack. When stopped from the boss to the end of the shaft--19 mm.    Excess fuel position is --26 mm  The witness mark on the shaft is 8 mm from the flat on the R.H. end of the shaft. I would be quite happy to swap some of our 38 to 40 deg C days  for some of your colder ones.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:55:37 AM »
The east way to check the over fuel position would be to start the engine and then force it down to idle  by turning the rack lever. Once slowed pull out on the lever and let it briskly move to the over fuel position. It should smoke heavily black as it resumes RPM. If not you have issues to repair. To set the fuel stop for normal running you do the same thIng except do not pull out and let it go again't the adjustable stop. You should get a light haze of smoke. They can be adjusted to there is no smoke but you will be slightly down from rated HP. If the over fuel is not working tbe LD will not start easily from cold.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:59:10 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel