Puppeteer

Author Topic: Heated fat?  (Read 12657 times)

solarguy

• View Profile
Re: Heated fat?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 05:09:49 PM »
The big difference between animal fat fuel (or hydrogenated veggie oil, aka shortening) and liquid vegetable oil fuel, is viscosity.  Once you heat the product to 180F, the viscosity is fine.  Keep in mind it has to be approx. that temp AT the injection pump and injector.

Biodiesel chemically changes the fat/oil into a different product that has a room temperature viscosity that is much closer to petro diesel and requires no heating or additives at above freezing temperatures, at least for most feedstocks.  That would be the lower risk, higher cost per gallon solution.  In my neck of the woods, input cost for warm weather biodiesel is about 0.60 per gallon if you get the oil for free.

Good luck and have fun!

troy

akghound

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 08:49:56 PM »
I have used WVO Waste Vegetable Oil in my Listeroid for over a year now. It is important to heat it up enough to get it working properly, as suggested 180* (at least). As for using animal fat, I don't know. I'm sure there is plenty of energy in it and if heated enough it would most likely burn in our engines.
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on WVO / Living off grid

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 02:26:20 PM »
Would it be wrong to obtain fuel from liposuction clinics?

With the increasing cost of energy and the continuing breakdown of moral conduct I had a morbid thought that perhaps in the future we may see a new trend develop.  Drive-by liposuction attacks.

Evidence of an attack viictim often found dead in a ditch is skin that curiously is too big for the body.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion