Author Topic: advice on ST1  (Read 4307 times)

gusbratz

• View Profile
advice on ST1
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:28:50 AM »
perusing the local classifieds and I spy an ad for a 4hp diesel. pics available on request,  I emailed and he sent some super bad grainy cell phone pics of an engine that looks like an ST1 lister. sitting in the dirt  under the edge of a shed.  I say this because I can see a spin on oil filter under and the governor spring on the side. he says it runs. going to look at it on wed eve. wondering what kind of money I should be willing to pay to pick it us as a spare engine for well.... I don't know. just because I want it what more reason do I need. and also what should I look out for. never seen one in real life before. I identified it from google pics. thanks. gus.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: advice on ST1
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 03:46:32 AM »
The ST1 model will have two of the four head studs visible with valve covers installed.

That is a popular little engine... if you can crank it up and it runs properly, then could be worth a lot for a smallish genset or other project.

When we purchase the old stuff, rule of thumb is $250 for junk core if it is complete, and up from there depending on location and condition. Retail is another matter. I would normally not go over $1,000 for a crusty field-run machine just because of unknown factors that could cost a lot to fix.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
/\ Like he said, the two exposed cylinder head nuts are a sure sign that it will be a ST1 engine.

The presence of a spin on oil filter is not conclusive proof that this is a ST1, 4HP also sounds about right for a SR1 engine.

I have also seen a spin on oil filter on a SL1 engine (again 4 HP is possible from this engine)

Other giveaway features that will identify it as a ST engine, will be the lower 1/2 of the cylinder head is Aluminium (if its cheap buy it just for the head as genuine cylinder heads are starting to become difficult to source), also the fuel pump housing will have two control shafts protruding from it (one is the start/run/stop control, the other is the speed control). Both of these are features unique to the ST engine range.

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:28:19 AM »
I sold a leaf vac early in the week and had some cash so as they say a fool and his money are soon parted. it has a tag that says LR1 4hp 800rpm. i guess he bought it off an amish farm where they were running some kind of line drive system. they kept adding stuff and it was out of power so they had to move up to a larger engine. this guy bought it for a project he gave up on. looks like he did find the time to put a fantastic paint job on it and add a muffler. why do people do that. ??? >:( do it right or just leave it alone for gods sakes. maybe tommorw i will try to pressure wash it off before it sets up. compression release lever is busted off but the Electric start works. fuel tank straps are gone and tank is tied on. hmm i don't know. sure is a lot of engine to make 4hp. ;D

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:34:16 AM »
Cute little thing! Horsepower sounds about right, but maybe not too often rated at 800rpm though. Plenty of parts are still available to fix her right. Are the aluminum saddles still present under that tank? If not, vibration should make short work of that baling wire rig.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations