Puppeteer

Author Topic: DES 8/1 generator build  (Read 40711 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: DES 8/1 generator build
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2016, 05:36:05 AM »
I haven't looked at my fuel consumption for years because my roads are just for play
but it seems like I remember burning a little over a pint an hour at about a 2k load.

Somewhere I posted the results.

Looking good !

Gary

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:37:55 AM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2016, 12:52:05 PM »
was out getting firewood last night because it has cooled off and the ground is nice and frozen. no more mud! any way  I stepped in to check on the listeroid and I see that coolant is weeping out of the head gasket or base gasket (not sure which) and pooling up around the frame.  I got done looking at it and thought what the heck lets just see if she will go. 22*F in my little glass power house. cranked it and flipped the lever and away it went. I was pretty surprised that a diesel with no sort of glow plugs or intake heaters would start in that weather. I certainly haven't been around one. so I warmed it up and then ran the house for 1.5 hours and then shut it down. I am hoping that the coolant leaks will seal up.....

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »
Same thing happens with the 6/1 DES on my buzz saw but I have lacked ambition to take it down and find out why. Mine only leaks when it gets down to zero or so.  Couple years ago the thermometer in my storage building read exactly zero. I had a 6/1 D. I. Metro that I had been through  sitting there and though Hmmm,,, Took both arms to swing it over with 15W-40 in the crankcase but it started on first compression and ran like 80 degrees out. I was impressed, they will start when everything is up to snuff.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2019, 08:13:53 PM »
      I  thought I would give an update. I just passed over 110 hours on the generator now. it only gets run when the power goes out.  the cyl head still weeps coolant even with a new head gasket. It is a small amount and I don't really worry about it.  The power went out yesterday and the lister ran the whole house  ( all lights tv, computer, coffee pot, well pump, fridge, beer fridge, other beer fridge, freezer, washing machine, wood boiler circ pumps household of 6) for 23.5 hours and used just over 5.5 gallon of diesel.  that is a fun statistic for you. 
     After such a good run I was looking things over and noted that the mice had moved into my spare parts. When I bought this engine from Gary at DES I bought a whole complement of spare parts. Piston, rod, bearings, bushings injector, injection pump ect... ect… the mouse urine is very corrosive and was damaging my spares as they ate the cardboard. So all the spares had to get unboxed cleaned and moved into steel ammo cans. I painted them with fluid film as I put them away. Other that that it has been great.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2019, 06:02:39 AM »
"spares kit" is a great idea, yes

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2019, 03:29:18 PM »
      I  thought I would give an update. I just passed over 110 hours on the generator now. it only gets run when the power goes out.  the cyl head still weeps coolant even with a new head gasket. It is a small amount and I don't really worry about it.  The power went out yesterday and the lister ran the whole house  ( all lights tv, computer, coffee pot, well pump, fridge, beer fridge, other beer fridge, freezer, washing machine, wood boiler circ pumps household of 6) for 23.5 hours and used just over 5.5 gallon of diesel.  that is a fun statistic for you. 
     After such a good run I was looking things over and noted that the mice had moved into my spare parts. When I bought this engine from Gary at DES I bought a whole complement of spare parts. Piston, rod, bearings, bushings injector, injection pump ect... ect… the mouse urine is very corrosive and was damaging my spares as they ate the cardboard. So all the spares had to get unboxed cleaned and moved into steel ammo cans. I painted them with fluid film as I put them away. Other that that it has been great.

Gus, are you seeing any flicker in the lights?
Which generator head are you using ?

Veggie

- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2019, 01:04:10 AM »
I am using a 10kw ST head. I have converted all my light bulbs to LED and since that change have seen flicker when the well pump kicks on. I wired an AVR into the 10kw head and have a switch so I can flip it back to the harmonic winding and resistor if I want. I seem to get less flicker and voltage drop with the AVR. I also watched the waveform with my oscilloscope and it is a much better wave form with the AVR.