Puppeteer

Author Topic: DES 8/1 generator build  (Read 41308 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: DES 8/1 generator build
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »
Looks awesome!! (U might want to put a 45deg deflector in there to direct most of the fumes away from the glazing though!)

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
Looks awesome!! (U might want to put a 45deg deflector in there to direct most of the fumes away from the glazing though!)
Cheers  Ed   

and the soot (inevitable) will darken that nice brick on the wall to the right.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2016, 05:13:33 PM »
I used a conduit elbow with the pepper pot muffler pointing up and it broke off at the threads fairly quickly.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
getting excited and wanting to start it. It is so close but junk shit quality gets me again. spill timed it and bled it out only to discover the high pressure line where it goes on the injector split and needs to be replaced. does anybody know what type of fitting that is so i can try to find a new one? the line appears to be 1/4" so any compression or braze on fitting would be fine.  then i built it up with braze and thought maybe that would do to get it running. filled the new cooling system only to find the indians covered pin holes in the outside of the block with putty and water was leaking out of it. so the engine has to get torn back down again to try my 3rd cyl and see if it's any better or braze up the leak in this one. feeling frustrated with it today.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
Gus, Just let us know what needs to be replaced and it will be quickly taken care of. No need to repair or patch any defects when replacements are at hand here.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2016, 08:33:05 PM »
I was so close to hearing it go putt putt putt. this is partly my own fault for trying to use that first cyl after you sent me a replacement.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:20:31 PM by gusbratz »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2016, 09:16:12 PM »
So the problem with the slipped core pinhole on top from an earlier post and the current problem with external pinholes is in the same exact cylinder block? We did send out a carefully inspected replacement cylinder that should have no issues with thin casting or slipped core. Please use the new part and you should be good to go. Sorry for the troubles.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:03:12 PM by dieselgman »

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2016, 09:20:44 PM »
just to be clear, the leaky cyl is the first one that I had trouble with earlier, I will have to use the replacement you sent now.  sorry if I sound bitchy, just frustrated to be so close and now be going backwards.  :) plus bleeding the fuel system sure makes a friggin mess and I am not a big fan of diesel all over the place and of course that contributes to my bad mood.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »
Gus,
You can have a couple of mins run without cooling, just don't rev the balls off it or put it under load, it'll pick your spirits up and prove the system.

I had problems bleeding both the injector and the pump, they were 'gummed up' with what I can only assume was an anti corrosion protective film that wasn't soluble in diesel. I cleaned everything out with thinners then washed out the solvent with fresh diesel. These were brand new items from India.

That made the injector 'drippy' so I relapped it with jewellers rouge and it now works fine.

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
so i put the replacement cyl on and now my question is how far off plumb can the bore be? my bump check is .075 on the back and .085 on the front. when i put the cyl on my bridgeport and stroke a dial indicator into the bore I got -.005 on the back +.005 on the front over the 4" stroke of my bridgeport. indicating to me that the bore is a liitle off front to back. will this put stress on my rod and crank, how much is too much. wondering if i should find a machine shop that can trim the cyl. i don't have a mandral big enough to hold the cyl here at the house.

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2016, 04:04:10 PM »
got it running. ran about an hour last night speed no load, then warmed it up today and put around 3000 watts on it. ran for about 3 hours and my return temp coming out of the rad was 190 so i  shut it down. so i guess my rad is not going to work. i will have to try  it again with a fan. the engine shakes badly. around 650 rpm it was smooth but when i get up to 850rpm  it really shakes bad. i think it is over counter balanced. i guess i will try adding some stick on weights to the flywheel.

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
I got a control panel built from an old sump pump breaker that was getting thrown out at work. took the doghouse off and build a pecker head out of a 2" LB with the back cut out. Both are  sort of overkill but they are roomy and gave me a breaker to turn it off and on from. wired up the new AVR and the old manual rheostat with a manual/auto switch so i can just switch over from one to the other if it fails. everything on it seems to work except the amp meter?  with a 1500w space heater and 3 halogen work lights it says 2 amps. so i went back in and tried wrapping the wire around the amp meter coil and now it reads 5 amps with all that stuff. i estimate the load to be around 20 amps. never wired up an amp meter before not sure what i did wrong. maybe it's too close to the other hot and common and they are canceling it out?

ran about 3 hours on 3 differnt days with 20 amp load and the rad was not keeping up so i added 5 more sections of cast iron too it. I scrounged the  temp meter off a transformer that was geeing scrapped. it is really neat because it has 4 switches on it. wired into my control panel I plan to l hook up a fan next summer in case i need it.

the exhaust is so so... it blows water out like old faith full when i start the engine. that could be an issue when it gets cold this winter and it turns to a plug of ice. I see myself having to route it abouve ground or put a drain in it or something. i wanted to use all those bricks beside it to build a box around it with baffle walls next summer but not sure if the water will be an issue.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2016, 09:28:01 PM »

Looks great  !
With that fuel tank you might fill it once a year !

Tell us about the water out of the the exhaust. Why is that  ?

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »
You might need to check that your CT is the correct ratio for the meter being used. You should not see interference canceling as long as the CT is mounted like you have it with only a single lead passing through its coils.

Looking good!

dieselgman

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »
because the exhaust is below grade and the heavy clay ground here is like a sponge. i didn't really tighten the exhaust conduit fittings up super tight because i figured gasses  would just leak out into the ground. well the ground water is leaking in.... the fuel tank is off my parts bulldozer i think it's a 40 gallon tank.  what little i have run the engine i can't believe how little fuel it runs on! very satisfied with that aspect of the project! i think i have about 10 hours on it with most of that loaded with the 3 lights you see and the space heater and i have used about 2.5 gallons.