Puppeteer

Author Topic: alternator mods  (Read 8451 times)

starfire

• View Profile
alternator mods
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:27:28 AM »
For anyone using car alternators to charge battery banks, heres how its done.
Slowly tidying the AV1 install as i catch up on other work. The important thing right now its up and running. It doesnt look as nice as the Lister, I guess ill just need to get used to it.

Looking into the rear of the alternator, all the diode block and regulator have been removed. Three heavy 20 amp cables are  connected directly to the three stator coil terminations, and two lighter 5 amp wires connect direct to the brushes, 1 wire on each brush

The three stator connect to the remote diode block, there are six diodes in all. The ones i used were got from the scrap dealer from some defunct industrial equipment, an absolute overkill, these are rated at several hundred amps each. 30 amp stud mounts are sufficient to extract 80 or so amps from an alternator, as the cooling is more effective when remotely mounted like this.

The two brush wires, one connects to battery negative, the other to battery positive through a switch, this turns off the amp or so current drain when the engine is not running. To reduce the charging current , and there are good reasons to do this, a resistor is wired in series with the on/off switch mentioned above. I use a car coil ballast resistor, reducing the current from 85 amps to 50 amps. Reducing current will make the alternator last longer, will allow a smaller engine to work less, and is great for a periodic equalising charge when the banks reach 15 volts. ... assuming a 12 volt system, my setup has a switch across this resistor to give high and low charging rates.
 With the regulator removed, these alternators will happily charge well above 17 volts, and maintain their full output current.
There seems to be two types of alternator, the usual one is around 55 amps, the bigger version 75 amps nominal, although both once modded will output well in excess of this for a short period.... just watch the heating in the stator windings.
Alternators will work in either rotation, BUT.... the fan is designed to suck through when running clockwise. The fan will need modding if running counter.... look for a fan with straight and not angled blades, these will then work in either direction.
A 24 volt alternator will work identically to the above, just halve the current and double the voltage, the wattage remains the same, as does the horsepower required.
By remoting the diodes, an alternator will last years rather than a few months when using it as it comes.
Its also beneficial to the engine to increase the alternator pulley diameter to spin the alternator at around 1000 to 1500 rpms, this reduces wear on belts, requires less power, and increases bearing life and belt to pulley contact.
I have found this to be the easiest and cheapest way to charge batteries with a decent amount of current and using commonly available parts.

starfire

• View Profile
Re: alternator mods
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:39:07 AM »
Having a variable charging rate is important for equalising battery banks. You cant just whack 100 amps in all the time. Have you had experience with battery banks? I have over 35 years of it. The control over current is important. Reduced current extends belt and alternator bearing life, this should be obvious.
Alternators are NOT continously rated, I have over 1000 ampere hours of battery storage here, the alternator is working hard to keep up, despite normally having two in parallel giving out an average of 150 amps over several hours each day. The automotive electronics are not up to this kind of duty. ... this is welding current... certainly not a "walk in the park" as you say. The original A section belt is not enough , I use easy to obtain C section..... remembering the theme here is cheap and easy.
Removing the regulator prevents the alternator reducing the current at the 14 volt level, again necessary when dealing with deep cycle storage. Alternators will put out over 100 volts, but at very little current. That is not relevant here, we simply need to get around the 15v mark to equalise, and the 17/18 volts to force a sulphated battery to take current. Your tests use the alternator at its regulated design parameters, of course it will go the distance. Remove the regulator, connect a large discharged battery bank and then see how you go. Christ, they are probably even current limited knowing modern electronics....
Alternators here from a car wrecker sell for around the $50 mark.... I wish you could send me some of yours.... the price sounds very attractive. We tend to keep our cars for 20  to 30 years... mine is hitting 40, we are not so much a throw away society as you.
In my experience, long periods of full current does and willl melt the solder on the internal diode connections, and under vibration will fracture and become open circuit. Hence remoting them away from vibration and heat. Unlike a multicylinder car engine, the pulses of a small stationary engine will cause whipping and vibration.
Larger pulleys cause less flexing and less heat buildup in a vee belt,  Use bigger pulleys, and keep the RPM down. When pulling maximum juice from an alternator requires several HP... borderline for one belt. In a car, the load is never constant for long, and all belts are in a constant wash of air cooling... not so in a stationary environment. Alternators are LESS efficient as RPM increases, due to the frequency rising and inductive reactance opposing the AC current, increasing copper and core losses... the sweet spot is around 1000 rpm, this is what makes an alternator self limiting , a constant current device.
In short, anyone can" improve" on this by chucking money at it, using expensive belts and pulleys and fancy control electronics.  That is not the point of my post. This is for us off gridders living  in the sticks, with limited supplies that can make do with what we have. Good on you for using the latest and greatest, shiney pulleys and serpintine belts at $100 a shot.. For me, and many others this works, and works very well. Old engines, old alternators, and LOTS of experience.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:20:35 PM by starfire »

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
A few facts to back up what I say....

The Gates Heavy Duty V Belt Drive Design manual shows that a "A" V-belt section will transmit about 2.2 HP per belt for a minimum pulley OD of 3" at 1750 RPM. Derate non-linearly for smaller diameter. By non-linear, I mean a 2" pulley will transmit about 1 HP and a 1 1/2" pulley will barely transmit 1/3 HP. The small 2 inch A section pulley fitted to a normal alternator is rated at 1 hp.... = to 750 watts, derated by  around 1/3rd given losses of the fan and friction would be around 400 watts, or 30 amps at 14 volts.
Clearly, a car installation overloads the belts at times with even a small 50 amp alternator and the average power output of the charging circuit is very much below the maximum most of the time. This would explain why an alternator will last 10 years in a car, and just a few months charging large battery banks.
 Bigger pulleys are more efficient at power transmission. With the rev range of a vehicle, say 600 to 5000 rpms a compromise regarding pulley ratios is made, and rely on the constant current nature of the alternator design aluded to above  to keep the power control within bounds. A constant speed stationary engine can be more accurately calculated.
In   reference to output current vs RPMs see here,

https://autoelectricalsystems.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/automotive-alternators-output-characteristics-matching-alternator-capacity-rating-to-consumers-on-the-vehicle/

any site will say similar but I quote the above:

Referring to the equations governing the function of the alternator  it can be seen that as the Alternator RPM increases the frequency of generated AC voltage proportionately ;    which in turn increases the internal inductive reactance and the impedance of the alternator. This results in  limiting of  the maximum current that can be delivered and due to this the output current characteristic tends to flatten with higher alternator RPMs. The figure also gives a picture of  how the electrical power for supplying the loads  is  sourced from;  from the battery , from the alternator or from both depending on the demand and on the maximum current deliverability of the alternator at different speeds.
This is all simple stuff I learned at university in the 70s.....
There is a graph, you will note the "sweet spot" is where I said it was, maybe a tad higher....depends on construction.
Your assertion that high RPMs are required is clearly wrong.
 Theres other stuff too, you could look that up.
Interestingly, I see these "new improved" alternators you mention are electrically and mechanically   no different from the "old" ones I use, other than they contain  less iron, smaller case, smaller bearings..... just cheaper made I guess.....
Im careful only to post stuff I know about and have done myself.
And, if you are hoping to get 60 cycle 120v AC from them, bear in mind, being a 12 pole, they will need to rotate at 300 rpm..... let me know how you get on.... :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:59:52 PM by starfire »

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
starfire,  thanks for posting you project. Very interesting.
I am currently doing some similar mods to my system.
In my case I need to modify a Leese alternator to put out a regulated 36 volts to an inverter.
(yes, a 36 volt inverter)  :)

The system goes basically like this...

Engine---> Alternator ---> 36 volt battery --->Inverter --->Loads

I am willing to first try to run the unit with the existing diodes to see how they manage the power.
Although I will be pushing 36 volts, the amperage will be relatively low for this unit (34 amps) and the unit is rated to 180 amps.
If needed I will change the diodes later.
For field voltage control I intend to use an arduino micro-controller which can vary the field current to maintain the voltage output of the alternator.
The Arduino will sense battery voltage to one of it's input pins and adjust the field power output accordingly.
By having a programmable devise I can tune various voltage scenarios (rules) to get the desired field vs. battery voltage without changing resistors.
The micro-controller will control other items on the system such as engine start/stop or emerg shutdown so I had it available for the task.

Is your system up and running now? How is it working out?
One thing comes to mind, if you put a rheostat or some variable resistor in place of you fixed value field coil resistor, you may be able to manually adjust your field voltage on the fly in order to tune your system.

PS: I like your engine !  ;)

cheers,
veggie
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:21:50 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
Hi Vege. Your system will work perfectly, By using 36 volts, this being an industry standard by the way, you dramatically cut down the high current issues we have at lower voltages. 12 volts is common here as it is easy getting appliances that use this voltage, and alternators that generate it. As you know, the less voltage conversions  we do, the more efficient the system will be. By using 36 volts and a mains inverter you have the ideal system.
Lead acid Batteries are and always have been a pain to measure, the SG test is really the only quantitive test that matters as to battery health, and voltage change speed when fixed current charging to find end of charge. One idea I have had, and you could easily impliment this with an Arduino, is to cyclicly test for electrolytes temp and SG at each cell. I believe stainless steel probes will withstand the acid... two probes a few CMs apart, and measuring the current of a small voltage between them would measure the SG easily. A graphical "map" of the bank could be displayed in real time of battery health, and when things get out of synch, the controller can automatically do an equalisation charge. A simple sample and hold could be implimented in software, the Aduino A/D convertor could measure cell voltage each few seconds and compare to the previous reading for that cell. When the change became rapid, the charging would stop.
The ultimate would be a seperate charger for each cell.....
Charging current at the higher voltage is correspondingly less as well, 100 amps at 12 volts equals 1200 watts, 1200 watts at 36 volts is only 30 amps.,with  a large saving in wire/cabling  cost and voltage/current drop in terminals and connections. This too opens the gate to using industrial type inverters with increased reliability, the downside being a tripling in initial  battery cost
Another reason to remote the alternator rectifiers....its possible to "stack" alternators in series, allowing the DC outputs of say two 12 volt alternators to become equivalent to a single  large 24 volt , three to 36 and so on. The cases are electrically isolated once the rectifiers are removed. Here, unusual voltages cost big money, 24 volt alts will fetch ridiculousy high prices.
I have been off grid for 40 odd years and except for a recent major Lister meltdown, have never regretted it. The biggest expense is the battery bank, here we use pretty much anything we can get our hands on, mainly ex telecom and light house batteries. We do much experimenting to recuperate old batteries, a fascinating hobby in itself.
Except for the temporary and rushed nature of what I have setup at the moment, the methods described work well, is reliable, and is flexible enough to maintain cheaply and easily.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 05:49:57 AM »
Having a variable charging rate is important for equalising battery banks. You cant just whack 100 amps in all the time.Have you had experience with battery banks?[/quote]
No  automotive self regulated alternator does that, particularly not the kind I am talking about.  Have you any knowledge of how self regulated alternators work.? They have been mainstream on vehicles since at least the '70's. ANY practical experience or testing of an alternator built in the last 20 -25 years? Sure does not sound like it.  While it's all well and good to live in the past and cling to the old ways, some new things have made great improvements and are worth embracing and taking advantage of.

I have over 35 years of it. The control over current is important. Reduced current extends belt and alternator bearing life, this should be obvious.

This seems ironic that you are saying that you need to have control over current yet you feel a simple High/ Low charge rate is better than the infinitely variable rate given by a self regulated alternator.
The units I was talking about will do a lot better than simply high and low.  You can achieve that  by switching the field wire from the regular connections to positive on the battery. This ups the field current and increases the output. Very easy to see when you run an amp meter on the alt.  As I described, you can also turn the things right off using the 3rd wire on the connector. O(f course then you can under drive them as you are doing as well.  More control on these newer alts than the old type you are championing.  and of course you can still wire them up for manual or external control as I have also said.

Self regulated alts taper off at around 14 volts. Deep cycle banks will not charge like this. They need to go to 14.8, and then take a finishing charge at a lower current. Without a posh controller, its easy just to cut the charge rate by throwing a switch. Fortunately, batteries are quite dumb, and will take amps from anyone or anything , they dont care whether they are new amps or old amps, they are good like that.

Please tell me precisely and what physical parameters take place so that reduced current and subsequent longer charge times extend belt life. It is anything but obvious to me so I would appreciate your insight on this to educate and change my position on it.  And to clarify the importance of this, Please tell me how much life you would get from a belt and bearings when the current is reduced over running them normally.  What does a belt and bearings cost for the alts you use ?  I'm keen to be able to make a factual assesment of the savings that can be realised in reducing current for this purpose. If you could give the reduced and direct charge rates, it would also be interesting to see the difference in needed run times to make up for the reduced output.

As the load on the engine increases with increasing demand, loading of the belt increases, belt slip increases, bearing side loads increase. Thats why high power requires multiple or wider belts. High current is used for the bulk charge, lower current for the finishing charge, even lower current for a float charge  and something else for an equalising charge to keep the batteries in good condition. Try google, it will explain things better than i can..

Alternators are NOT continously rated,
Umm yes, they absoloutley are in the modern types as they need to be with all the electrical loads a modern vehicle has.  Not like the old days where they had lights and a demister and 35A was fine to get you around. Nothing unusual for modern alts to do 200A and plenty now go to and beyond 300A. Loads of everyday passenger vehicles have 200A alts not to mention the plethora of SUV and real 4WD's which are far from rare or difficult or expensive to obtain used parts for.  As I described. I have run the things Overloaded for days and still can't make them pop.  Thats one reason why they now have efficient twin fans built in.
In any case, you are saying you can't pump 100A into battery banks all the time so why is this a concern?

Alternators do not supply full current continuosly in a vehicle. Either the battery load decreases, the ECU shuts back the alternator, or the internal regulator will cut it back. Alternators are chosen so as not to be overrun in an application.   Did you even bother to look at that site I gave you? When using for bank charging, they are run full out for extended periods. Its a concern with large battery banks because 150 amps equates to a trickle charge in my setup.

I have over 1000 ampere hours of battery storage here, the alternator is working hard to keep up, despite normally having two in parallel giving out an average of 150 amps over several hours each day. The automotive electronics are not up to this kind of duty. ... this is welding current... certainly not a "walk in the park" as you say.

Yes, the automotive electronics in MODERN (  30+yo designs may be different) ARE up to this very easily. That's what they have separate cooling fans and separate the air flow into 2 parts, to make them more durable.
80A is also welding current and so is 200 which many alternators which are doing over 300A now will do. I think you would do well to bring yourself up to date on what is available and being done these days. It's a lot different to the old tech you want to cling to and all the associated problems. With a bank like 100 KwH, 2 modern alts would keep up full output before they started tapering off their charge rates to protect the batterys. If you are charging that now at 50 amps, either the depth of discharge isn't much and would be quickly made up by a couple of modern alts or you are running your present system for days at a time.  Yes, you could easily keep them at  higher charge rates if you wanted simply by manipulation of the field and sense wires  and they would put out the FULL current as long as you needed it to or boiled your batteries.

I dont have access to modern high current alternators, most of us dont have fathers with a wrecking yard.  else i would use them. I use what I can get.

The original A section belt is not enough , I use easy to obtain C section..... remembering the theme here is cheap and easy.

Firstly, car belts are NOT " A " belts. If this is what you are using or comparing, this is another place you are going wrong. This is the sort of mistake that undermines what you are saying. You are not talking fact, you are making misinformed assumptions. No, an A belt may not be enough which is why the belts on cars are not in fact A section. I am really surprised you don't know this given all the experience you claim. This mistake does shed light on other things you say however.

Sadly, pretty much all  cars I get alternators from use A or similar B section Vee belts. Im sorry, but thats how it is...

If you were able to comprehend what I said, I actually mentioned Micro Grove belts as being easy to run straight off flywheels and the picture I put up clearly showed a flat pulley which is for micro grove belts. If you looked up the HP rating for these belts, you would see they far outdo that of V belts. You would also see they are much more efficient at transferring power with lower transmission losses and greatly extended life. That's why they use them and have gone away from V belts.
 Also being used very widely on vehicles for well over 20 years now, you will also realise they are not hard to get and at least as easy as V belts in automotive places. They are no more expensive and in fact getting one for my daughters car recently was cheaper than the V belt I got for my own at the same time at the same place.  Yes, Cheap and easy as you said with better efficiency and longer life thrown in. What more could you want?

Lucky you.

Removing the regulator prevents the alternator reducing the current at the 14 volt level, again necessary when dealing with deep cycle storage. Alternators will put out over 100 volts, but at very little current. That is not relevant here, we simply need to get around the 15v mark to equalise, and the 17/18 volts to force a sulphated battery to take current.

And, as I said, giving the field wire full battery voltage will bump the voltage output. I have tested this to over 16V many times. I can't say I have seen 17V+ but then that's a modification you can do just as you have done with what you are using. This could be done without even opening he alt up by just putting some Diodes or a resistor in the sense wire which would fool the alt into thinking the batt voltage was lower than it way and would up the output. I have done this also but not to that voltage as I had no need for it using good batteries.

.... ummm no it wont as standard. The peak output voltage is determined by the regulator, the field current is controlled by the regulator, the voltage varies slightly by the sense wire, the internal regulator will reduce the voltage depending on what the sense wire indicates. The sense wire cancels the drop between alt and battery terminal. Buggering with the sense wire ill alter the voltage very little.

Your tests use the alternator at its regulated design parameters, of course it will go the distance. Remove the regulator, connect a large discharged battery bank and then see how you go. Christ, they are probably even current limited knowing modern electronics....

Again, had you been able to comprehend what I wrote, you would see I specifically tested the alts outside their normal operation. That was the point of the tests, to see what they could take and what would make them blow.  You seem to be jumping from one thing to another here. First you are saying you can't pump 100A into the things all the time then much else what you say is basically trying to achieve high charge and voltage rates.
As far as removing the regulator and connecting a large battery bank, I'm prepared to do that on one or a pair of my alts and put up a vid of it if you will. I will GAURANTEE the alts I am talking about will still be going with their twin fan cooling and higher charge rates long after your old pet dinosaur units have long let out all the magic smoke.  I'm prepared to put money into escrow to prove it, are you?
Lets also run them energised direct to a load with no battery and energised completely open circuit and see which one survives the longest.  I can tell you, the new ones won't pop under these conditions. They designed that fault out out of them a long time ago.

. No you didnt. The alternators being factory originals were regulated and therefore current limited within their design ratings.  You loaded them just as they would be in a car. Im interested in charging batteries, not entering into a "my alternator is better than your alternator "competition....

Alternators here from a car wrecker sell for around the $50 mark.... I wish you could send me some of yours.... the price sounds very attractive. We tend to keep our cars for 20  to 30 years... mine is hitting 40, we are not so much a throw away society as you.

Sorry, I can pretty much only laugh at this. I can send you as many as you want, but frankly, it's pretty clear you'd be too tight arsed to pay the shipping on them.
I don't know if you are living back in the 70's or beyond but you seem to think $50 is some great deal of money. It's less than a family of 4 spend at McDonalds for a feed when they drop in after watching Johnny play footy or Marys Dancing lessons of a weekend. It's one tank of fuel in a smaller vehicle. To make out it is such an expense for a part that WILL give you years of service to fill basic modern needs is nothing short of ridiculous.
You are either a complete scrooge, pretending to be one for the sake of argument or a Hypocrite in that you spend this amount of money and more on other things which are purely indulgences and have no lasting vlaue. Like Drink, smokes or Gambling to name some.  I have found over and over that people that come across usually tight with money do so in order to finance other things that cost more but they don't even take into account.  Not saying you do this, but I am saying if you think $50 for an alternator to charge your battery bank even if you replaced it every year is such a great investment, one of the 3 things I mentioned is at undeniably at play.

I would LOVE to buy your alternators...they sound lovely alternators too. Unfortunately shipping would be prohibitive with GST , import duty and other taxes. We dont have the luxury of $3 alternators. You must live in america.....

Coming from someone that lives in the most throw away society on the planet, that's completely laughable. If you think using alternators that are 20 years old constitutes a throw away society mentality, there's not much I can convey to you with any level of intelligence you'd comprehend. The fact you drive a near 40 yo vehicle says a lot though. No doubt you are of the position that Carburettors and distributors are more reliable than Fuel injection and computer control and everything new is rubbish. Ironic given you are using a computer to write this on the internet.
It's this kind of out of date, living in the past selective thinking that explains a lot with what you are saying.

I live in New Zealand if thats any help. My car gets serviced regularly, takes me all of 1 hour to change the fluids. Carburettors and distributors can be  more reliable than any complicated fuel injection system , and easily fixed when it goes wrong.  It also has an engine that will not destroy itself if a rubber belt breaks. It also doesnt have any expensive check engine lights...... An acquaintance has a late model Mitsubishi.  Her service cost $1200 and took 4 hours. If I break down in the middle of nowhere, it can be repaired on the spot. A bit like an old engine really.... If old tech stuff fits my needs better, I will use it.

In my experience, long periods of full current does and willl melt the solder on the internal diode connections, and under vibration will fracture and become open circuit. Hence remoting them away from vibration and heat.

But what is clear is you have NO experience with they type of alt I am talking about as you seem to have taken a pre considered position they are expensive and not up to the durability of the old style you favour which is inherently WRONG no matter how much you want to take exception to that. 
The layout of the enclosed alts and their internals is quite different to the older style which I also have a lot of hands on experience with in Bosch, Lucas and Hitachi brands.  The normal thing in automotive tech is to design out known problems and that is exactly what they have done with alts.  Again, even if the machine was capable of melting the joints which you are probably unaware of the construction thereof, the increased cooling of these units would dissipate the heat long before anything inside got that hot.
Had you seen the joints you are talking of in the type of alt I am talking about, you'd see the problem with your theroy. Looking at this very part I have sitting on my desk here, they aren't soldered.  They are pressed/ clipped and potted.  Rather than round they are rectangular units with the connections being a thick piece of flat metal designed to be crimp type connected. They have a large air gap on the component side and a finely finned heat sink on the other which is all one piece rather than separate Diodes. . There is no way these things are going to fail on the joints here from heat or vibration.
Amazing! It's as if they foresaw this problem from years gone by and took precautions to eliminate the problem. The engineers must have had ESP or something!

As I said, your alternators sound wonderful. I use what I have. They wont work as is for big battery banks, I modify them. Yours too would need modifying. Looking at an exploded diagram, there is little difference between new and old. I suspect you are an undercover altternator salesman posing on old engine forums, trying to sell stuff.

Unlike a multicylinder car engine, the pulses of a small stationary engine will cause whipping and vibration.
Larger pulleys cause less flexing and less heat buildup in a vee belt,  Use bigger pulleys, and keep the RPM down.

Ah, OK, so now the story has changed. Again, How much longer life would this typically give you and what is the cost of the belts you are using?
One advantage of serpentine belts is they do have a better flexibility and can handle the pulleys the alternators are designed with as well as bending in either direction. Using a tensioner system also makes for less maintenance and no slippage as they are always under correct tension and this also eliminated much of the whipping you speak of. In modern vehicle engines where the RPM increases and decreases very rapidly suck as with the power curves of Turbo cars and that of manuals when gearing down, the serpentine belts are much batter at handling this than V's.
That's why every vehicle I am aware of uses them and so to modern trucks as well.

I agree with this, but serpentine /micro vee belts are not so common here, and pulleys need to be made. Vee belts are available everywhere, so are the pulleys.

You also seem to make an assumption that an alternator used on a vehicle is not subject to vibration. Curious.

Is it because  they have multicylinders and use serpentine belts?

Continued..........
[/quote]

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »

When pulling maximum juice from an alternator requires several HP... borderline for one belt.

Sorry, but now you are talking complete rubbish. Car belts are not A belts for a start so if that's what you are talking about you are simply giving yet more misinformation.
Serpentine belts are good for 20 HP and more.  On a car the serpentine belt drives the alt, the AC compressor, power steer, water pump and other accessories. and they do this for 50K miles before requiring replacement. That's a hell of a lot more load than one alt and in the case of the AC, the load is slammed on them and off many times an hour and they handle that as well.

In a car, the load is never constant for long, and all belts are in a constant wash of air cooling... not so in a stationary environment.
Really? So driving at night with the lights front and rear, demister, ac, wipers, computer and other operating loads suck as sound system, ABS, seat warmers, cooling fans and everything else is not a constant load and doesn't happen for long?
And that wash of cooling air would be after that air has passed through the radiator would it not?  What about when the vehicle is stationary? Can easily be all the same loads with no air circulation at all causing a heat sink and temp rise of over 100oC.  Constant load, no air circulation at all in a very hot environment.
You are right though, this doesn't happen in a stationary environment but then again, why you would need a movement of air over a belt that is moving in the first place and very obviously causing a turbulence itself apart from that caused by the flywheel or pulley driving it and the fan of whatever type on the alt is beyond me.
Clearly the belt is in a far better place in a stationary environment than in it's native under bonnet application.

If all this about belts was as bad as you make out, then they would be failing on cars every week. They don't and never did.

cars with lots of bum warmer and heated rear view mirror options come with alternators tasked for the job. A 70 amp alternator is not tasked to charge at 100 amps for hours at a time.  Thats why its overloaded charging battery banks and needs modifying. Alternators also make good welders, they also need modifying.  Car alternators fitted into a car dont need modifying cause thats what they do. The manufacturer has kindly done the work for you. Manufacturers are also good at saving costs, and will supply whatever mimimal they can get away with

Alternators are LESS efficient as RPM increases, due to the frequency rising and inductive reactance opposing the AC current, increasing copper and core losses... the sweet spot is around 1000 rpm, this is what makes an alternator self limiting , a constant current device.

Bunkum.
Please show me any manufacturers specifications that show the the most desirable speed for a car alternator is 1000 RPM.
They will show you that the alt is producing less than it's rated output but they certainly won't show you that is the ideal speed. That statement is based on nothing more than your own opinion and is nothing like fact.  I certainly invite you to prove me wrong with actual verifiable data rather than flawed heresay and opinion.

Alternators do require a minimum RPM to produce both their most efficent  and maximum output but it's more than 1000 RPM for either.  The speed of an alternator has nothing to do with it's self limiting and they are not constant current. Where do you get this gross misinformation from??? It's not even remotely accurate!
The amount of current fed to the rotor determines its output be that manual or electronic. Your First line in this retort mentioned the importance of variable current and now you are saying they are constant current.
WTF??
. I have already shown you, you didnt bother to look.
There are two ways to charge batteries, constant voltage or  constant current, look it up, im not doing your homework for you. Alternators have constant current by design, else they would develop more and more current the faster they spun. They dont do this. Look at the graph. After 1500 RPMs they develop no extra current capability. I didnt make this up, its a fundamental law of electricity, its called inductive reactance, and down to a Gentleman by the name of Micheal Faraday.
The regulator turns them into a constant voltage device where they will alter their  current to keep the voltage constantt. Look it up if you dont believe me

In short, anyone can" improve" on this by chucking money at it, using expensive belts and pulleys and fancy control electronics.  That is not the point of my post.

Didn't you " Chuck" money at your setup with the mods you made? With what I proposed you could use the alt as is or you could add a few bucks worth of wire and switches as you did ( even take them off your setup) and put them on the alts I am referring to and come up with a better end result through the improved design and better build of the base unit.
The belts are not expensive, that is either a comment born out of ignorance or grandstanding to justify your position which is not borne out in reality.  As for the "fancy control electronics", they are an option but far from a necessity. The Modern alts WILL do a far better job than the old style you are using and will do it with no modifications at all. They can be made to do other things with even less modification to the electronics you have performed.

This is for us off gridders living  in the sticks, with limited supplies that can make do with what we have. Good on you for using the latest and greatest, shiney pulleys and serpintine belts at $100 a shot.. For me, and many others this works, and works very well. Old engines, old alternators, and LOTS of experience.

Now you are just getting emotional and really undermining any credibility.
You can get an alternator of the type I am talking about from any wrecking yard.  If you are in such a one horse town you  don't have one, you can get one when you go to the bigger centres as you have to do for other services and needs. You can also order them over the internet. that's a cop out not a valid excuse or reason.  Your comment of shiny pulleys is childish and the aspersion of $100 is also.  The serpentine belts are not necessarily any more expensive than a V belt depending on length and size which vary greatly for both. If you got a used alternator, then it's ridiculous to think you couldn't get a used belt at the same time for a fraction of the new cost anyway.  In addition to this, it's a FACT that serpentine belts outlast V's by a long way. For someone concerned enough about this to slow the belt down to get greater life, you would have to take in to account the lifetime cost not just the purchase cost. That's what off griders are usually good at, seeing the bigger, longer life picture.
To use old car seprpentine belts requires a setup to use them, as to length width etc. Not having a dad in the car dismantlng business, i would have a very limited selection. Vee belts on the other hand are very common and universal. How many times do I need repeat this. Vee pulleys too are easily obtainable in many sizes. Slowing the belts down is a direct result of using larger pulleys to get better grip and less transmission loss.

I'm not trying to one up you or give a flying damn what you do,  but when you come on here saying " This is the way to do it" and then tell people a lot of misinformation and state methods and practices which are patently flawed and very clearly not a good way to do something at all, I will take the opportunity to put through a differing POV and point out the flaws in the information given. In any event, I think most of the audience here would be more than capable of setting up a similar system and would know fact from fiction with it.

Im pleased you dont care, it shows....

There IS better equipment that can be used, it can be done every bit as cheaply, it can be done just as and likely more simply, it can be done more efficiently it can be done with greater reliability and longevity and it can be done with all these parameters met at the same time.

You are correct, my experience with battery banks is very limited however i do understand the principals and requirement very clearly and my knowledge of battery banks is demonstrably far superior to your knowledge of automotive alternators both old and more modern and the operation and theory thereof. I have never lived off grid and you have never most likley looked at the type of alternator I am talking about nmuch less opened one up or come near operating or testing one.

Clearly your experience is not what you make it out to be and in reality,  is quite tunnel visioned. You are doing what you have always done and not been open to learning about other methods or investigated other equipment to do what you want.  So much of what you have said here is factually flawed and seems to be based on more opinion and imagination than anything else.
I wholeheartedly welcome you to prove me wrong in anything I have said but do it with verifiable fact and references, not opinion or here-say.
I have proved you wrong on several points..... cannot you see this?

The references you have made are quite irrelevant to what we are talking about here and the conclusions you have drawn from them are not even what they say.

Oh, you cant...
 You are chopping and changing what you say from one thing to another and are not consistent with the use being discussed. You are also putting words into my mouth I never said but you imagined.
Clearly you are not a person that likes anyone having a different POV to what you think or is open to learning anything new or up to date.  That's fine, I have clarified enough to show those interested my position and from there they can do their own research and draw their own conclusions.

As personally as you seem to be taking this and getting upset I question or challenge your opinion,  there ARE other ways to do what you are doing and they are better from many different Points of view. .

Im so sorry for getting upset and emotional over this.... lets not talk about this again... please.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 10:46:54 PM »
Listen Glotk, you cant be that dense surely.
 I charge my bank at 100 or with 2 alternators 200 amps until they reach 15 volts. I then cut the charge rate to 50 amps. Thats how its done with wet cell deep cycles. I use 2 x 70 amp alternators with outboard diodes..
 My dad does not own a wrecking yard, so i use what i have.
 I use older alternators as thats whats here.
I use vee belts and vee pulleys, thats whats here.
 I have been using this system for decades, it works very well.
 I use big pulleys to prevent the belts burning up, to be more gentle on the engine, and save fuel..
The alternators spin at 1000/1500 rpms, this is their  sweet spot..
 1000 AH bank being charged at 100 amps is the same as charging a large 100 ah truck battery with 10 amps, a trickle charge.
You have my permission to charge your batteries any way you like, im not a bossy person.
Thats it from  me, im not going to waste any more time with you, my patience has run out, despite the entertainment value..
And I dont want your alternators, I have my own.
I suggest you actually do it rather than theorise on doing it.

As one of our prime ministers once said, any New Zealanders moving to Australia increases the average IQ of both countries.
Now I believe him.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »
With all this discussion about alternators nobody has mentioned the derating of drive belts depending on the prime mover. Flexible belts love a steady low pulsing source such as an electric motor and if they are to be used on a one cylinder diesel or any i/c engine they have to be derated for the Hp. they would transmit depending on the number of cylinders.   Also the drive pulley on the normal alternator is usually not much bigger than 2" diam so it requres a larger section belt or an idlerto give a greater wrap and prevent belt slip.    The current limiting effect in an alternator depends the frequency and the inductance of the windings and is calculated at the design stage. A lot of alternators are 12 pole design so when the are spinning at up to 6000 rpm you are getting 3phase at around 1200 Hz. in this case the frequency doesn't matter as it is being rectified into DC except that the reactance increases directly with the frequency thus limiting the current. and a rule of thumb rotational speed does not work unless you know the actual characteristics of the alternator.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 11:39:04 PM »
Hi Oldgoat.
 We have talked about belts, but maybe  i didnt explain it as good as you have. With me, I just use bigger  pulleys to get the wrap. Also have tried to explain the frequency thing too.... There is a graph to show the speed/current relationship I referenced, but like you say, it wont  apply exactly to all makes of  alternators. but i thought it may give an idea of the  concept and principals involved.
Overspinning an alternator wastes power and fuel, underspinning looses efficiency.... there is a happy medium between the two. I have found that by putting a constant heavy load on an alternator and monitoring the output current, engine speed can be lowered until the point where the current begins to drop, or conversly, sped up until the current stops rising. Obviously, there is no point in spinning it any faster unless of course there are fan cooling issues. That way, a reasonably accurate RPM/current curve for that particular flavour of alternator can be plotted. Then, pulley ratios can be decided on to have the engine run at its sweet speed, both engine and alternator are then in unison. Unlike a car engine, stationary service is constant speed and easily calculated.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 02:06:33 AM »