Puppeteer

Author Topic: Petter AV2  (Read 19238 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Petter AV2
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 06:40:07 AM »
I'll try to remember to take some photos and post them this weekend, of the belt, pulley and flywheel

The flywheel is just simple flywheel, green paint, and some out of round/square on the rim.  it wants to pop belts off.
But just a couple wraps of tape on the center of the flywheel, and that makes the belt settle right down and goes for months.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »
Im always amazed when watching those old videos of farm equipment and those long flapping leather belts. Seems they stay on because the pulleys are crowned. Wrapping tape around a flat flywheel will have a similar effect. An old guy here once proved the theory by driving his car over a railways viaduct while sitting in the back seat in his old 1952 ford prefect. He figured if a flat belt would stay on convex pulleys, a flat tyre should follow a convex railway line,and  it did. As kids, we were there only to see him fail, the science behind it all escaped us back then.

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
Let me add an odd tidbit about belts.
I drive a serpentine belt off the flat flywheel, to a 6 groove flat pulley.   Works great for Tom, he's worn the paint off on 6 thin stripes of his flywheel.

I've got a flywheel that's not quite flat, and so I use 10 mil pipe wrap tape (looks like really heavy electrical tape) and make a slight "Crown" on the engine flywheel. (just 2 wraps, that's all)  Then it works like a champ for the season.  Without the tape "crown" the belt wanders all over heck and gone, eventually coming off.

Hi Mike

I have a ST genset sitting waiting to mount with my Lister, and I had considered using a serpentine belt as I reckon it'll be easier to get it to runs straight than with a couple of B-section vee belts.  My genset is 1500 RPM (50HZ) so something like 3:1 overdrive is what I need (diameter around the 200mm-ish mark)

But - short of getting one machined - I can't see anything "off the shelf" like that.  What did you do?

I talked to the turning shop we use and they can do one but it wouldn't be cheap.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Mike
Check out the dairy  industry too.... I know here we have a selection of belts, larger pulleys and the like, designed for water and effluent pumps, vacuum pumps etc. from our local farm supply. The mining industry too has random stuff, but probably not so much where you are.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 03:22:36 AM »
Heya Dayle.

I'm in the pumping/irrigation industry here (the way it's raining right now I'll be out of a job shortly) so we have a bunch of that stuff in theory - but it's never just the right size - Murphy's law, eh.

There are always pulleys and long B-section belts on TradeMe - I have just set up a search.  No hurry

Don't worry about our Aussie mate - just remember what Muldoon had to say about migration . . .

Cheers

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 04:09:28 AM »
I did quote Muldoon....... didnt go down well....

Another one i thought of is the large pulley on a gentle annie... by memory these are around 10/12 inches in dia and do take a serpentine belt, but may need beefing up.
What do you think about these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1176794626

Im thinking of grabbing one...
We have had a month of non stop rain....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:12:44 AM by starfire »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm well over the expletive-deleted goddamn rain myself as half my working life is in a paddock . . .

On the bright side I have four days away up at Hampton Downs with the lads to watch the classic and post-classic racing next weekend so that will be extra good

Been watching these alternators . . . sharp pricing.  They started turning up on TradeMe about two days after I ordered and paid for my ST.  I'm not an electronics person so I was attracted to what seemed like the simple/crude operation of the ST

I think I said I'm building a shed/workshop/house as a "retirement" plan up in the sunshine capital of the Bay of Plenty.  No power as it's a bit remote and I fancy solar. By the time I'm there I hope solar will have gotten even cheaper & there will be a good, solid, robust inverter/charger smart unit that wont mind the ugly sine-wave from the ST as an input.  I was hoping to have a setup where solar would do the donkey-work and the Lister/ST would contribute  when I needed a large 230V current or sun wasn't shining

As always I guess the defining factor is how much I am prepared to spend on Deep Cycle . . .

But no hurry.  If there is such a thing as "retirement" for my generation, it's not for a few years yet

Building a compact, well-insulated, well-designed place around a woodstove with wetback, solar hot water, gas hob & califont - keep the kW/hs down lol.  I have good, pump-free, gravity fed water from a spring up the hill so that's a big bonus

Just using the availability of the workshop and facilities at work to get as much built on the cheap as I can . . .

Catchya

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 03:52:21 AM »
We have the Greymouth street racing next weekend too, just getting my bikes ready... not to race, im too old, just to display in the 70s bike theme.

Had the loud knock knock noise from the Petter eariler on, knew this would happen eventually, so had an inspired moment with my new water injection system... after copying the idea from the 1971 Kawasaki injection lube system i just happened to be fixing on my bike.   :)

Drilled a 3/16th hole into the inlet stub just below the aircleaner and inserted a length of 1/8 ID copper pipe. The other end goes to two brass tails, joined end to end with a nipple, and a small steel ball inside. The ball makes a simple  1 way valve. This is placed vertically into a 20 liter plastic weed spray container of water, so gravity seals the ball against the tail opening. The tiny  vacuum pulses slowly drag the water through.... knocking gone within 30 seconds. This is a much safer setup than I had before with absolutely no risk of hydro locking. I just need to crush the pipe to adjust the flow rate, will do this over time. Right now, there is visible steam in the exhaust so its using more than needed, and noticed a dramatic decrease in exhaust heat. It happily lifts the water several feet which suprised me.... the power of a venturi..... right now its using around 1 cup of water in 30 minutes running.
What do others use?

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 08:02:59 AM »
And Mike, you say you have a spring.... have you thought of hydro? It doesnt take much to get an efficient turbine running and alkathene pipe is cheap... you are in the trade. Convert one of those backing gate water motors.... its all done.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
G'day Starfire.  I have thought of that but not sure I have the fall to do the job.  Got about 1.5 or 2 bar at my site.  But you're right; I should investigate.

Had a spare half hour in the workshop today and got the siezed-in-place COV out of my old head.  Had to drill it out to 14mm and make a puller with a long 1/2" capscrew and nut and a bit of flat and some short capscrews.  Man was it tight.  But now I can have a play with a glow plug once the engine is back in the workshop.

Catchya

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »
2 bar is aprobably  little low unless you can substitute quantity.
Ill tell you a story....
Years ago i set up a wee hydro using the town water supply. I had 56 psi to work with, and made a 4 inch pelton wheel spinning an old computer tape drive motor. With two 3mm nozzles, it managed a few amps at 12 volts, not much, but over a 24 hour period gave half a kilowatt hour, enough for lighting and a TV. Over the next two years I noticed lots of random digging going on around the village  by council workers and thought little of it. Turns out the small pumping station wasnt keeping up with the "leak", amounting to quite a few thousand liters a day.  They finally tracked the leak to my "device" and slammed a water meter on me,  brutally  demanding 48 cents per cubic meter. Popular mechanics magazine where i got the idea from never mentioned this.
 Fortunately they couldnt charge me retrospectively.......
I learned lots about the performance limitations of high pressure district  councils and the performance limitations of low pressure  hydro schemes back then... handy knowledge to have.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
short =sighted SOBs.  What do they think you pay rates for.  Even five or ten litres a second is a lot 24/7.  Cheers

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 12:56:51 AM »
I'll try to remember to take some photos and post them this weekend, of the belt, pulley and flywheel

The flywheel is just simple flywheel, green paint, and some out of round/square on the rim.  it wants to pop belts off.
But just a couple wraps of tape on the center of the flywheel, and that makes the belt settle right down and goes for months.

So, the pic is the LAST one in this album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1204527312117.2030711.1196643274&type=1&l=1b9a9b7a12