Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

SR1 driving 2.6Kva alternator - help needed

(1/3) > >>

vanair:
Hi

I from South Africa and new to this forum.
I love Listers  :-[ and own a number of old Lister engines (including a 6/1) and are in the process of restoring them.

The first project is the SR1 and is at the point of assembling it after a total rebuild. It needs to power an alternator supplying power on the farm.
I have the opportunity to get a 2.6 kva alternator but it needs to run at 3000 rpm.

Will it be possible to run a smaller pulley on the alternator so that t he SR1 can run on 2500 and the alternator at 3000?

Thanks.

Regards

Pieter

EdDee:
Howzit VA,

Welcome to the forum....

No problem regarding the pulley change size, just watch the diameters/ratio and you should be fine. Try and keep the alt/engine spacing as much as possible to get a decent lap on the alternator pulley to prevent it slipping. Contact your local belting supply guys and they will give you how many belts of what sectional size to transfer the power you need.... Remember, bigger pulleys on both sides mean lower belt tensions, meaning less belt wear.... Particularly handy if you are in the sticks away from the "dorp" and need to travel to get spares!

Cheerz
Ed

dieselgman:
We do not recommend running the SR1 at that speed. You would do much better spinning the SR at 1500rpm and choose your pulleys accordingly to get 50Hz at the alternator (2:1). The SR will still have ample surplus power well beyond 4kW at that speed, and it will deliver a much nicer fuel economy and longevity if run at a moderate speed as opposed to being pushed to its limits. This is one of the strengths of the little Lister singles... good torque and performance within a very conservative power band.

dieselgman

vanair:
Thanks for the info.  :)

That sounds great will see if I can get the correct pulleys.
I see some flat belt pulleys on some generators. This should be better that the old V-Pulleys?

Regards

Pieter

dieselgman:
vee-belts work just fine! You have surplus power in that setup anyway, so a little extra friction loss is not much of a factor. Gates makes a product called Super HC that is very good for this kind of small horsepower transmission. Pulleys are in common use and readily available in all sizes.

The micro-v type of 'serpentine' or 'flat' belt is good for using smaller pulleys and for bending both directions and for using idler tensioners. You can get the serpentine belting in common automotive K type and slightly heavier L type. You can also select varying widths of belting (number of grooves) to suit the power levels and pulley sizes you are dealing with.

dieselgman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version