Author Topic: My Rant About The PUDs Anti Solar - Anti Peoples New Program in Hawaii  (Read 5164 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
The Public Utilities Commission has just trashed canned Grid Tie.  In the old stupid program (it must have been stupid or they wouldn't have trashed it) when you over produced kilowatts in the mid day sun that excess was saved for you and applied towards your evening use one for one.  The new and improved grid tie program in Hawaii has some great improvements.  Your're now paid wholesale (.15) for each extra hour you produce in the day time.  And then when you need power in the evening you get to pay retail (.30+).  That's a net profit of 35,600% per year (100% per day comes to 36,500%).  Not a bad gain for The Hawaii Electrical Corporation (HELCO - the company from Hell - anagrams live) on my plant and equipment.  Yup, it gets worse.  If I upgrade my existing system I must turn it over to the new program - no grandfather or grandmother. 

Gosh, I wonder why I balked at adding another 4 KW to my roof top.  Incidentally, the first big public auction went down this July where the equipment and materials of the dying solar installation companies were liquidated.

Best Solar window in the United States and the Peoples representatives just sold us down the river.  Don't worry.  This improved program is coming to you.

I don't understand why all of these new wholesalers don't have to report their income to the state and federal tax collectors - taxable gain scenario?  But then can trips to Hover Damn be write-offs.  Or to Germany to review their solar innovations?  Or to the Grand Caymans to investigate off-shore unreported incomes - you know where third world politicians hide their illicit gains.

Oh, HELCO just applied for a license to build generator systems based on natural gas.  The future is for first worlds.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: My Rant About The PUDs Anti Solar - Anti Peoples New Program in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »
Just got a letter from my supplier telling me that they are going to slug me 6 cents a day for a "solar meter charge" which has been working for the last 3 years costing nothing. The jockey on the (no) help line couldn't tell me what service I got for my 6 cents. At present I am on a tariff which pays me 50c/Kw for my solar input and that is on a fixed contract until 2023 so they can't change that unless I change my supplier and then I would drop back to 8c/Kw. So I stuck another 1500 watts of panels which will give me approx another $2.50 a day so I will certainly off set the 6.26 cents extra.  Of course that charge is over and above the $1-16 daily they charge for the privelege of having the mains power connected. They always get very shirty if I ring up after a power outage and ask for a proportional refund for the period the power is off but they have always paid up.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:14:39 PM »
There is a bit of a problem in Aust. because the local councils tend to over regulate all construction. If you stick the panel on the roof of an existing building its OK. But put an aray in your backyard and the council wants to sell you a building permit and of course over engineers everything which drives up the cost. The bit that amazes me is the same structural equations are used whether the building is on a flat open country or surrounded by trees which provides a wind break for the frequent severe summer storms which we get around here.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »
A new neighbor was getting bids on building a new house on a lot that had never seen a power meter before.  The power company quoted $19,000 for installing the needed four poles and wires to get power to their property.  "GOSH" or something like that was heard around the neighborhood.  Two off-grid solar-propane generator hybrid quotes came in below that number.  Guess how much the power company is billing them each month.  Yup, Nada.

I'm thinking we're about three years away from the jump to freedom.  

Here's a "parable" I received last night from another neighbor.

"A Japanese company (Toyota), and an American company (General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile .

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people paddling and 1 person steering, while the American team had 7 people steering and 2 people paddling.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were paddling.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the paddling team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 2 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 2 people paddling the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the paddlers. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices, and bonuses. The pension program was trimmed to 'equal the competition' and some of the resultant savings were channelled into morale boosting programs and teamwork posters.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off one paddler, halted development of a new canoe, sold all the paddles, and cancelled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses.

The next year, try as he might, the lone designated paddler was unable to even finish the race (having no paddles), so he was laid off for unacceptable performance, all canoe equipment was sold and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sad Overview:

Here's something else to think about: GM has spent the last thirty years moving many of it's factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages.

TOYOTA has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US. The last quarter's results:

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits While GM racks up 9 billion in losses.

GM folks are still scratching their heads, and collecting bonuses... "

We'll see if this parable becomes a prophecy for the electricity generation companies.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:17:30 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
I think they forgot to include the 36,500% return to HELCO on the owners investment in this article. 

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/31964026/significant-slowdown-to-solar-industry-following-end-of-incentive-program

Forgetsie?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
I think they forgot to include the 36,500% return to HELCO on the owners investment in this article. 

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/31964026/significant-slowdown-to-solar-industry-following-end-of-incentive-program

Forgetsie?

Casey

maybe they just short circuiteded a bit :)