Author Topic: Blasphemy..... Solar power.  (Read 149430 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Blasphemy..... Solar power.
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2017, 12:00:58 AM »
Hey Ade, wanna see the future?

I don't know if you have any interest in modern cars, fast cars in particular?  But if you want to know if a car is "fast" - not just fast in a straight line, or fast down a /4 mile dragstrip, or fast around a racetrack - but real-world, point-to-point fast, IMHO Nurburgring times are the goods

Top of the Nurburgring tree right now?

A Chinese, 1mW (1300hp) ELECTRIC car

I have seen the future . . . check out the link

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/15/motorsport/nio-ep9-electric-supercar-nrburgring-lap-record-production/index.html

cheers

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »
Two things.  No.  Three things:

Electric motor, all the torque, any old time

No shagging about changing gears

Man. does that driver have confidence in his tyres

:)

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »
Thanks for the link Mike.
Warning.... a Glort type post follows.... I will call it Glorting.
The Chinese are the worlds leaders in hitech now.
Recently I enquired on Alibaba about Nickel/Iron batteries from a Chinese manufacturer and got some very interesting chat from the lady responding to my questions.
The chinese government are very forward thinking, and have very good incentives for R and D and innovation. This  NiFe battery manufacturer, because these are a non toxic item, ripe for further development, have their sales tax and export costs fully reimbursed to encourage and help fund further "green" research and development.
This is much better than the corrupt one way extraction of money by western governments.
Many good aspects of a communist system is a direct result of  the long  lifetime of the governing body, we dont have the fiasco of a new ruler dismantling  decisions made by a previous government just a few years prior, as we see happening in the US right now. This instills far more long term confidence in the manufacturing sector,  change is unlikely, and large investments in the future are much less risky.
I happen to like that system, rather than this silly western crap we have now where empty promises are  continually made then broken.
The Chinese are in for the long haul, and this  demands great respect.
I think it is painfully obvious that this capitalistic "democratic" system of ours is a failure.
Democracy to me is like a committee, where so many compromises are made that NOONE gets what  they originally needed or wanted.... a weak watered down policy thats really not fit for purpose.
After all, few have any problem working under the non democratic and dictatorial factory manager or retail shop, where you are TOLD what hours you will work, and what you will be paid. The business in question would not survive otherwise.
 Running a country is also a business..... the treatment of workers from a government likely to be very much fairer than from a greedy self entitled western businessman who can shift his financial responsibilties to tax havens and have his workers paid with tax paid benefits, top ups and foodstamps.
The Chinese are investing heavily in solar, wind, and nuclear fusion, no doubt helped by the ongoing but rapidly decreasing pollution problems. What makes this possible is their system of consistent and reliable government, using the vast resources only a government can provide. The West is in a slow and painful decline.
  China  has risen from poverty to a superpower,  in just a few decades.
 To me, this  is good proof of an efficient  system, despite its many flaws, that  appears to work well.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2017, 01:33:53 AM »
Yes and No, Starfire

Old Winnie Churchill said that Democracy was full of holes etc but the alternatives were worse

IMHO the Chinese system works not because it is communist (it probably isn't any more) but because it's a dictatorship

(Just like the English who painted half the globe red for 400 years before inventing constitutional monarchy and beginning the downhill slide)

Dictatorships work not because they are inherently good - many aren't - but because they provide continuity - the ability to plan 10, 50, 100 years ahead

But - and this is the reason the English adopted a constitutional monarchy, a Magna Carta and the concept of the Rule of Law - dictatorships and "communist" states tend to be crap on human rights; and if you don't bring people along with you, as soon as they develop a substantial middle class, they will find a way to tip you out

Now, if we had elected politicians who cared about the good of the country rather than their own idealogies . . .

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2017, 01:53:25 AM »
I think there is a major difference now though. Despotic dictators are now frowned upon, and cannot hide given the information super highways we have now. We all know who the bad buggers are. The days of Pol Pot, and Mao Tse Tung are over, they could not survive. Even medium type bad buggers have to clean up their act in order to function on the world stage.
The problem we have now is the self appointed "global conscience" that decides who is the despot, and at what degree.
They fail to understand the culture and context. Human life has very different value, depending on country and religion.
A very good example is Kim Jong Un, a despot by our measure, but a god to his people.
His priority is to protect his country and people, the exact same mandate as all leaders of all other countries.
He has done a fantastic job of this, this cannot be denied.
From a desecrated country, raped and pillaged by the Japanese, then bombed and Napalmed into oblivion by the west, and with  no to little outside help, they are now a nuclear nation.
They are guilty only of wanting sovereignty, security, and prosperity, as we do.
We wont tolerate their values, likewise, they have equal right to not tolerate ours
Is this not the "freedom" that we preach?

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2017, 04:55:55 AM »
Sorry Glort.... Ill try harder.... please dont beat me, Im new to Glorting and you have more practice.
Welcome back by the way.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
.......and with  no to little outside help, they are now a nuclear nation......

They actually had quite a lot of outside help, from refinement to warhead design and many versions of Scuds to copy to Launch vehicles.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
Starfire I know you are enjoying playing Devil's Advocate here.  We might have to agree to disagree on some of the political stuff

FWIW I would say - look at the two Koreas.  Both were pretty battered in the '50s and both took very different paths

Don't be hard on Glort.  he has feelings . . .

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
Starfire I know you are enjoying playing Devil's Advocate here.  We might have to agree to disagree on some of the political stuff

FWIW I would say - look at the two Koreas.  Both were pretty battered in the '50s and both took very different paths

Don't be hard on Glort.  he has feelings . . .
Yes, Im pushing the off topic a bit far getting into politics, Ill quit.
But, if you have a spare  hour, watch this, I believe it was a NZ production. Its whats called a mockumentary, but theres much truth in it.... I think you will enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohCfS55zGME

starfire

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
BTW, can anyone tell me what the " approved" post length is?

Not sure Glort, but I think a little shorter would be good......

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2017, 08:57:12 PM »
OK.  To "humour"  add  "Irony"  :)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »
OK, enough with the sniping lads. Some of us like to write lots, some not so much. Feel free to skip the bits you think you're not interested in, but let's not have any carping about the fact they were written.

And yes, I know you all probably have tongues firmly in cheek - but remember, good natured sarcasm/irony and indeed humour is very hard to put across when you've only got the written word and a few smileys to play with. Please, read what you've written and imagine you're a visitor to this forum. We know it's all in good humour, but a stranger might think this is a bit of a vicious place to hang out...

PS: Yes, you lot all spell humour incorrectly. Just putting that out there.  ;D We invented the bloody language, you lot should toe the line.

Glort - I'll write a considered reply later - right now I've got a pizza in the oven, and there's a film on the TV that ain't going to watch itself...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
PS: Yes, you lot all spell humour incorrectly. Just putting that out there.  ;D We invented the bloody language, you lot should toe the line.

Humor us would you?   ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:04:41 AM by broncodriver99 »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2017, 05:40:47 AM »
Yep.  Somethings happened.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2017, 07:02:02 AM »
"   OK, enough with the sniping lads. Some of us like to write lots, some not so much. Feel free to skip the bits you think you're not interested in, but let's not have any carping about the fact they were written.

And yes, I know you all probably have tongues firmly in cheek - but remember, good natured sarcasm/irony and indeed humour is very hard to put across when you've only got the written word and a few smileys to play with. Please, read what you've written and imagine you're a visitor to this forum. We know it's all in good humour, but a stranger might think this is a bit of a vicious place to hang out...   "

Ade, you are dead right, of course.  The history of acrimonious online arguments is littered with things that started out ironic, or humorous, or light-hearted; and the written word never conveys that well

My apologies.  Thanks for hauling us up