Puppeteer

Author Topic: Blasphemy..... Solar power.  (Read 100758 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Blasphemy..... Solar power.
« Reply #465 on: October 28, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
Hey Glort...

Tie male appendage to rope, tie other end of rope to one carbon rod.... When sparks and suchlike become too concerning, apply feet to ground... Rapidly... Ensuing escape will automatically widen spark gap, break conductors and shut down current flow....

PS - Remember to check that the breaking strain of rope is withing personal physical tolerance limits and greater than breaking strain of connected wiring... Electrical, that is!!

Lol
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 28, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »

As good as it is to hear from you Ed, You certainly come up with some " unusual" concepts sometimes.   :laugh:

Interested to see what these things will do and withstand.  I have put some fairly decent Metal Bolts to the test before attaching them to wooden Dowels and connecting them to an array. Amazing how fast you can get metal dripping off them. Wonder what it would take to get a cupful of Molten steel?

Might try hooking 4x 250W solar panels in parallel and see if they can do any sort of decent weld.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2019, 02:39:17 AM »
>  Might try hooking 4x 250W solar panels in parallel and see if they can do any sort of decent weld.

That will be interesting.   PV panels are current sources, and as their current lessens, the voltage rises back toward nominal.

Here's a bit of an article describing it.   and a pic
http://www.aurorasolarenergy.com/iv-curve-of-a-solar-panel/

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
That will be interesting.   PV panels are current sources, and as their current lessens, the voltage rises back toward nominal.

Yes, Interesting is exactly what I was thinking. There is a Voltage/ amperage trade off but which property does what in welding will  be interesting to find out.  I could Series all the panels but I expect that would cause the rod to spray with little penetration but who knows?  I have seen before so unexprected balancing between voltage and trade off and again expect what I am thinking I will see will  be different.

I have connected almost 600V open circuit panels to 230V Loads and the voltage drops down and the load ( Light bulb) works fine. There is a lot of " self levelling in panels before the power falls off significantly.

On another forum some electronic Geniuses ( of which I am not) and I have discovered the MPPT of panels is not nearly as sharp as made out.  With even 10V either side on Max power point of panels, the total power fall off is only around 10%. We are Playing with simple off the shelf  timer boards that are cheap and readily available as Controllers to maximise power from panels storing the energy in caps and allowing them to charge and discharge once they hit a certain voltage. We have found there is a LOT more leeway than anyone was lead to believe before the fall off is significant.

In any case, If 4 panels is not enough for welding, not hard to series parallel another 4 panels and see how that goes.

Today was sunny and although I was out this afternoon, I'm think those panels I connected to the 240V/3.6 Kw heater element to much have come close to boiling that 100 L of water in the tank it's in.  Was still VERY hot when I got to it at 8:30 well after the sun had gone down.  You throw enough panels at something and all the inefficiency just dissapear and you get some significant power regardless.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2020, 01:50:58 PM »

Been Playing with the solar again today and thought I'd update this thread for my own refrence Even if no one else looks at it. Was interesting reading back through it and seeing how this has progressed, ideas I have had and how things have changed.

After a comment and a though this morning I decided to do a " stocktake " of this solar obsession.
Right now I have 85 panels working. This is around 20 Kw. Little less than I had in mind but I do change things around.  I have another 16 Panels on the shed which are not currently hooked up and 8 I think I'll take down.
They are on the south side of the shed roof ( North is the right orientation here down under) and while they do well in the summer, they are a mess thanks to an ash tree right now that drops it's leaves on them and the birds that crap all over them.

They do little in winter when I need them anyway and I don't need them in summer so I'll take them down and sell them. These and the other 8 I have on the verandah roof from the same set are the only ones I have now that are not 250W.

I put another 24 Panels up yesterday and finished the array today.... and Immediately thought I should have done it different.... But I'll see.  I do all my strings in series of 8 on the house and 9 on the shed as that tends to fit the roof lengths I have pretty well. 
I have room for maybe another 12-14 Panels on the west side of the roof. I picked up some brand new panels around Christmas and they will go on the north roof.  Putting panels further up on the house roof where I couldn't do it from the ladder on the ground has taken MANY hours of thinking. It's a tin roof pitched at 34o and quite slippery.

I managed to walk up the valley then kind of laid on the roof and used the lower layer of panels for a foothold. I realised after a bit the chances of falling off were very low and not terribly serious if I did. I would more likely slide off and over the edge and for me that would be  not even 3ft drop long as I landed feet first. That was pretty much my working orientation anyway and I quickly became quite comfortable up there which wasn't bad for someone as terrified as Heights as I am.  In some places I undid a roof screw and put an L bracket that is normally used for holding the rails there and screwed it down. This gave me some foot holds so I could move about in places where I went without sliding down.  Just needed something to secure myself as friction on the roof wasn't quite enough but a spot  to locate a toe made all the difference.  I could set these up much like stepping stones up the roof and remove them as I went.

The big problem I thought would be getting the panels up 3 layers High nearly to the top of the roof.  To get them up before what I did was get a tie down strap and hook it under the lip of the panels and pulll them up like that.  I have done it on my own on the shed where I could easily stand on the edge but  for the house I needed the daughter or Mrs to hook them up on the ground for me.  From there I just hauled them up and over the gutter, over the other panels and wrestled them into place. Wrestled being a pretty fitting term as to connect them to the panel beside I pulled them on top of myself, used my feet to stop them sliding back down, connected the leads then pushed them off me into position.

I thought how inelegant that must have looked but it worked real well without mishap and was easy so good enough.
I didn't  use any rails, all my panels are screwed with the different brackets I have picked up from a solar place Dumpster and from used systems I have bought . The problem with this is lining the roof corrugations up with the panels. They are all one meter and you can get them to line up on one side but not both. I unscrewed an existing or put in another Tek screw to hold them down between 2 panels.  I also put another clip on one end just through the metal roof.  I think that will be OK as I have had panels sitting on the roof for years now and they haven't moved despite the winds we have.

As the house is 20 Yo and the rubber seal on the original roof screws are getting hard and brittle, I always put a good dob of roofing silicone  under each bolt when I replace it as well as any new screws I put in. The are literally better when I remove and replace them that what they were before.

I got a 100M Roll of twin core solar cable and ran the far end back under the panels to the other end and down to the inverters.  I'm not sure how I am going to get them through the eaves yet or how that is done. I have seen some do roof penetrations and then just silicone the hell out of the surrounding area but I would like to see if I can lift the tin and put them under. getting to the eaves in the roof of this place is a Nightmare for someone my size.  My fat shoulders literally don't fit between the batons and frame work and the roof sheets are about 8 M long from top to the bottom with no joins.

On the north roof I'll put the new panels. I have some 360W and some 405's. I'll put the 405's at the bottom because these monsters are a full 2m  Long and a nightmare to handle on the ground. My plan is to put some brackets in the screw holes at the bottom to support the panel and some further up to support myself.  I'll either push the panel up from the ground  or pull it up from above ( Should be able to push from the ground like the others ) next to the bracket then slide it across to hold it.  Once the bottom layer of 405s are up I can use their edge to walk / lay along and pull the smaller ones up. I think I'll only get 2 layers on that side with the extra length of the 405's but it will still be 6Kw so that will be ok.  I probably could put some others on their side above them but I think that would look Dicky and in reality, I can't see I am going to need them.

Still this winter I am behind on power consumption and I can't see that will ever change with panels. It's impossible to keep up with the shorter days, the lower radiation and the crappier weather.  In summer I already have stupid amounts of excess power and shut half the inverters down.

I just bought a bunch of new 4KW Inverters for $100 ea. From what I have read they are NOT a great brand but they are new and for the price I can't see myself not getting my money back on them well and truly. I will also baby them by putting fans on the things to keep them cool in summer. I have old panels on the roof connected to car radiator fans which are automaticaly self controlled. The brighter and hotter the sun, the harder the fans blow. Dull days when the inverters are running cool, fans hardly move. The perfect setup.
Makes a HUGE difference to the temp the Inverters run at and I'm hoping this may help me get good longevity out of them.

I installed the first new inverter at the beginning of the month and looking at the totally KWh it's produced already, it's just over the half way mark or repaying itself this soon.  I had a HD 3 phase circuit installed about 10 Months ago and I can hook 2 of these inverters per phase at that point. All the inverters are well over clocked so they do produce good power all year round. I'll probably end up with 3x 4KW inverters and 1 5Kw inverter on the house and a 4kw on the shed.

I still have LOADS of roof I could put panels on, only getting towards half the house but no point. Like a lot of things this has become a bit of an obsession but has to level out somewhere.

I have also got a little side business going with used panels.  A lot of installers Dump them here so I have made contact with about 6 relatively local installers and take their used panels when they get them which can be a disposal problem.  I sell them off Cheap, mainly in the country where my dad is, and pick up a bit of pocket money there.  A lot of people try and sell them when they get new systems here but ask stupid money for them.  I sell them cheaper and they never hang around.  I think I'm at the pricing sweet spot where I get rid of them quickly but make OK money from them.  I'm also getting into a little bit of new panels I buy as job lots from the bigger installers when the panels have lost accreditation here for our rebates. I can offer great prices on brand new panels and they are going OK.

I have been filling the ute with them every time I go up and the only problem is taking enough up at a time.  I'll give it a few months and see how My contacts and supply goes and if it continues, I'll buy a High side trailer and take up 75 or so at a time.
Once I finish the back and side roofs of the house, I'll probably just keep a couple of KW of panels for experimenting with and then sell all the rest. I have got onto a cheap source of New panels so am trying to sell some of my old ones to see how much I can make up on the price of the new ones. There are plenty avaible in the city and I have advertised panels and got zero interest. I change the location on the exact same ad to the country area and get run off my feet.

One good thing about this proclivity is it's saved us so much money and is now making money.  Our consumption this winter is already 44% down according to the bill I got last week so when I hook in this other 8-10 Kw whatever it works out at with what I'll take down, should be pretty good next winter.

I would like to set up a control box and meter all the inverters separately  but I'm fast running out of suitable wall space and would need a waterproof cabinet which seem silly expensive here. I'll hit mate up to see if he comes across any when he does his AC upgrades.

One thing I am looking at to make use of all this power is a  single to 3 phase VFD.  I have 3 phase but one meter is electronic and I can't wind that one back. It's driving me nuts.  The only thing that uses the 3rd leg is the AC which does all our heating and cooling and that one phase is responsible for over 50% of the bill we get. I was thinking of putting in another large split system so I could run that off one feedback phase to at least take the main load of the other unit.  I'd like to put a VFD on the big system which would be about a 10th of the price of another Split AC and take the 2 Phases I  back feed to and run the AC of the VFD which will turn the 2 phases ( or one) into 3 to run the AC.  That will take the load off the 3rd phase and the repayment time on the drive with the savings would probably be only 2 Billing terms.

Solar has been a very interesting and fun adventure that keeps saving and now making us money. While I may not want to make what I have any bigger than I plan now, I spose there will always be upgrades and Improvements to be made.
I'll get back to working on the direct connection water heater control board and get that sorted then see how I go marketing and selling that.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2020, 02:43:31 PM »

Some pics of the completed ( so far ) array  and the back roof space to go.

Might look at moving the end panels around and making them 9 string instead of 8.  That would tie up better with what I am going to get the other side for the top array.  Whether I can get a 3rd layer in remains to be seen. Uneven roof structure complicates things.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 30, 2020, 05:46:25 PM »
Hell, that sheer abundance of panels makes me drool.  I have to get buy with 4 x 300W panels for my off grid shack.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 01, 2020, 07:11:51 AM »
Hell, that sheer abundance of panels makes me drool.  I have to get buy with 4 x 300W panels for my off grid shack.

I think it's pretty Relevant.
I could probably do that with a holiday shack shack or a caravan that had no AC and everything that could be as gas.
 I set up a couple of solar/ battery systems a few months ago as I was scared by the China flu forecasts and feared for the power supply.  When it comes right down to it, the only thing I really need power for is refrigeration.  Anything else I can run off an oil fired generator but fridges are a real pain for that.

Is there a shortage of used panels where you are?  can you not add more to your system?

I picked up 20 250W on Monday and just came home with another 16  and a used 4 Kw inverter today.  Anything under 250W pretty much gets thrown away here. There is very little difference in the number of panels Vs. the sq. Meters of area covered.  Panels have only got 2-3% more efficient in about the last 8 or so years.  I have some 405W panels I'm going to try and get up tomorrow and they are monster things, 2x1M. If I covered the same area in 175 or 190W panels it would be much the same wattage.
They just make them bigger than they used to now in physical size which does have disadvantages.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 02, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
2nd hand panels are almost non existent here, but then in saying that, there might be a few coming on the market soon.  One of my distant neighbours just had 10 stolen from his field.  Will end up in the township somewhere.  Stove and hot water are both off gas, but now in the winter months my batteries are taking strain.  All about money, money, money, it's a rich man's world, especially post Covid.  Everything has gone up faster than the infection rate.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 02, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »

It seems we have more in Oz than anywhere else I'm aware of.
There are people here now buying up used panels and sending them to the middle east and Island countries like Fiji  and Samoa.  I was recently told that they are being sent to India as well. Ones going to the Arab countries are probably going with a lot of cars that are stolen here and dissapear and aren't used for parts.

I put up an Ad on Gumtree the other day and had an enquiry. Turned out to be a low life Piece of shit scammer.
Not sure yet what the angle is?  I don't think it's to get the panels, I think it could be the old pake over payment, please send the difference back racket but someone said they have also been running these emails  to find out when people will and won't be home. 
I'd enjoy that actually. Be very clear I won't be home then so don't come at that time and of course be waiting with a .357 warm welcome.

The reason I'm going so over the top with this is for winter.  It's taken me a while to work  out why I make so much less power. All my inverters are well overclocked and when I look during the day, they are all doing around 80% output but my daily generation rates were half or less of summer generation rates.  The difference did not add up... So I thought.  The 2c coin Dropped in summer actually when I realised here we have about 8 hours daylight in winter and about 14 in summer.  It's not so much the power drop off in my case, it's the substantially shorter amount of hours there are to generate the power.

I am also surprised about the way things have gone with the china flu and have also noticed the way the prices of things have gone nuts.
I went to buy some more cheap Multimeters the other day. I'm always blowing the things up or dropping them or whatever.  A decent cheapo one I was buying 5 at a time of were costing around $8  in feb when I bought the last lot. I looked last week and they are Now for the exact same meter from the same seller, $16..... and he's well the cheapest I can find.  Went to buy an electric start petrol stationary Engine to put in the old car my father uses to move his fire wood from the shed to the house in as the original motor is stuffed.  You could get them from at least 5 seller on fleabag at christmas for around $160 for the electric starts, Now I can't see them under about $340.

Because of the distant resumption of overseas travel, the sales of Motorhomes and caravans has gone ballistic here with everyone wanting to holiday here.  My neighbour sold his  ( admittedly pristine) Caravan last Sunday for $4000 more than he paid for it 5 years ago.  Luckily, this was a co incidental pre planning. He already ordered a new van in January and went up today to go over some final details  before taking delivery.  He'll be out of pocket $3k for a much bigger and better equipped van.  I thought the last one was plush, can't wait to see this one.

I'm hoping the value of panels goes up as well. I have plenty to sell atm and I'd like to be able to have a win sometime.   :0)

Do you have a genny to top up your batteries and what voltage are you running on the pack?

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 02, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »
I have a SR2 with a Hoffberg alternator directly coupled.  Batteries are 6 x 8V to give me 48V.  The genny is wired into my Pip (called Axpert in S.A.), but am having problems with earthing and when I try to feed the PIP, my DB trips, so it becomes a mission to charge batteries and power a load.  My electrical skills are just not up to scratch, I guess.  Sounds worse than it is, today is sunny and my batteries are fully charged now at almost 15:00.  Batteries are not great either and don't hold charge as well as they should.  I could be on 50V at sunset and down to 47V overnight with basically just a fridge running.  Not the best fridge, but more efficient than most, the motor only draws about 80W.  When I win the lottery I'll invest in a bigger, better setup, but till then, luckily the winters are not too long down here. (Plettenberg Bay, S.A.)

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 02, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »

Daughter was home today and I had " reserved" her services on the weekend to help me ( again) put panels up.
I have been doing the mental Arithmetic for 6 Months how to put them on the North house roof which is tin, 34o angle and slippery as .
I have saved this ideal winter roof in the though that maybe one day I'd have to go a legit system but having picked up 6.5 Kw of dumped but brand new panels at Christmas, I thought they would be worth using there.

I have spent hours thinking about how to do them but the ones I did last week went really well so I was confident of these ones. Mostly.
These were 360 and 405W panels and they are OVER ( as I discovered today) 2M long.  Bloody big things to handle especially on a steep tin roof.
Started much the same way as the others.  Got one up on the roof from a ladder and pushed it across to a clamp bracket I had put in the roof screw hole.  Clamped it sown then got up on the verandah roof and onto the main roof over the top of the ridge.  I used my DIY safety  point I made and removed a few of the topmost roofing screws and put them back through that.  I bought a thick rope the other day and that went round the middle a couple of times and tied it off with some non slip knots.  After the other day I wasn't as much worried about falling as I was thinking of something to hang onto to manoeuvrer around.

I pretty much laid on the roof and used the first panel as a foot hold and there down the tie down strap to my daughter whom moved a panel to the ladder and hooked the panel onto the strap hook.  From there she guided the thing up the ladder as I pulled it up.  We pre set the end clamps so I half pulled the panel over the other one then slid it across to engage the clamp.  Again I put a dollop of roof silicone under the clamp to ensure water proofing.  Daughter came up the ladder, connected the panels together,  made sure the wires  and connectors were under the panels, helped me align them and screwed the clamp down.  She moved the ladder across, loaded the next panel and rinse and repeat.

BLOODY good job for the princess of Princesses. I know bloody well she would have done better than her male Cousins round the corner, they have helped me before and they are far bigger girls than my daughter is.

She did a really good job and I was impressed.  Made my day when she asked me which side did the panel have to go to, the positive or the negative? I have seen / heard " professionals " refer to polarity as plus and Minus and it's a pet hate of mine that shits me to tears. The fact she without coaching said it right made me very proud and happy.  These panels were Different to all the others I have put up. The 405's had a connector at each end. The 360's had them in the middle each side.

I thought the idea would be that you didn't need an end cable to come back to the last panel, you could join the 1st and 3rd and continue that way so you ended up with both poles at the end. Well you could IF they made the *&%!#* leads long enough instead of the 100mm short!  That was another 10M of cable for each string plus 4 More connectors.  Ah well.  ran the cable over the roof and down to the inverter. That will go in the roof once I decide the best way to do that.

Did the first row and then went in for a cuppa and a bite.  Came out and wired the first array up and hooked it to an inverter and started making power. Brought all the next row of 360 Panels down and strategically place them to make it easier for my little girl to put them on the ladder for me to haul up.  The second row went a bit slower than the first as I had to do all the securing and put in a lot of extra screws to clamp the panels down.  I was wary of the top most panels as we get VERY blustery winds here so I wanted to make damn sure they stay put.

I'm satisfied that no panel is going to come off unless it has the roof truss and the roofing Iron still attached.  The end panels I triple clamped with even larger screws as they are the ones that get the most force. Also had to space some of the panels a little uneven to allow for the roof corrugations but that gives more room for expansion and contraction :0)

Time we were done the light was fading but being up there and being able to see all the other arrays gave me a good idea of the shadowing and timing thereof.  These panels are in the perfect winter angle and orientation and being brand new, should produce good power.
I finished the connectors on the inverter end and plugged this array into the 5 kw inverter.  There are 6.2 Kw worth of panels so it will be interesting to see what sort of production I get this being near mid winter and close to solstice.  I am hoping tomorrow is a clear day and I can max the inverter out.  It will be interesting to see how quick the power does come up as well and where it fades off.
Can't do much about early production as I do not want to put anything on the front of the house where the sun rises but I have PLENTY of west facing panels so I might reconfigure a couple of strings to match the voltages of the North arrays to keep them going longer.
Then again, Might be better just to put them on another inverter so I get max power over all without too much clipping in the middle of the day.

It is my belief however that it's not the max power than makes you the money , it's making power for the longest time.

That said, I'll see how this goes and adjust the end setup from there.
I had a 3 phase heavy duty circuit put on but I'm maxing that out already. I only back feed to 3 phases so I'm thinking of taking the 3rd conductor off and putting it on the second lag and putting more power into that. I can then configure the household circuits  to be biased that way to take advantage of the extra available power on that phase.

I have about 10-12 More panels to put up on the west roof then it's full.  From there I'll take down some of the little 190 Panels I have.
I may not replace them because I won't get enough of the larger panels in a compatible voltage string to go with anything else and it may not be worth putting them on a tracker on their own.  The only thing I'm looking at is winter. That's where I fall short.

If I can get the oil heater going that will pretty much put me well in the black. I worked out that the last couple of days I averaged 45Kwh solar generation but used nearly 70 Kwh all up.  Pretty sure most of that is heating whether with the portable heaters Wife and daughter use because the AC is never hot enough and the AC itself.  I also worked out we use on average around 12 Kwh a day just to make up the difference in bringing the incoming water in the water heater up to the same temp it comes in summer.  That's before you take it from the 20 or so up to what you would call hot.

The other alternative is just to run an IMAG generator on a veg fuelled diesel. Even then, with the great lump of a 12 Kw motor I have, it's going to take a LOT of running to make up what one array would even in winter.  I was thinking about a bigger roid as they seem to be quiet but going to need around 30 Hp for that. next Choice is a 3 Cyl Kubota  but they are hard to come by and very exy here when you do.

I'll see how this new setup goes. I'm hoping it may produce a significant amount of power over and above what I have been getting out of similar less than Ideal set up arrays.

The unhired help in it's natural position.  Never a damn Phone out her hand. Used it to play her hardstyle music on her surprisingly powerful ( annoying) bluetooth  speaker the whole time which she turned it down when I got pissed off with the racket by using her watch.
Showing roof with only 2 Panels in place that were installed from the ground to be used as first footholds.  Also note pre installed brackets  along roof edge used to stop panels initially sliding off roof when pulled up.

Crash test Dummy showing how not to slide off a roof by using panels as a foothold.  Safety Zealots please note approved safety harness and full PPE ( May be hard to make out in pic but trust  and spare me, it's there. Really!)  Yellow webbing was used to hook under panels and haul them onto roof.  ( using authorised and approved safety practices at all times.)
Diminutive 400 year old Gum tree makes nice backdrop..... and necessitates cleaning guttering every week several months of the year.   

Crash test Dummy holding attachment devise and again displaying full PPE  safety gear and adhering to all required regulations and worksafe  OH&S practices. Said Dummy later went along and corrected sloppy wiring left by unhired help whom Claimed you couldn't see it from the ground, what was the problem??

Completed professional installation.  Well not really professional, this worked straight off the bat unlike some installations done for friends by registered and licenced solar businesses..... that yours truly came along and fixed when installers failed 3 times!

Unhired help up on ladder for 20th and last time happy that it's all over.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 02, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
I have a SR2 with a Hoffberg alternator directly coupled.  Batteries are 6 x 8V to give me 48V.    When I win the lottery I'll invest in a bigger, better setup, but till then, luckily the winters are not too long down here. (Plettenberg Bay, S.A.)

Here I believe the best bang for the buck in batteries are Forklift packs.
The companies selling them have got onto the solar market and give up to 10 Yr warranties when used on solar and with cheap Auto watering systems to keep them topped up.

Looking into the cost  recently, I found that their scrap value was worth 40% of the initial purchase price which makes their real cost an absolute bargain.  Here, pre China flu anyway, a 30 Kwh pack was worth around $1800.  A 13 Kwh, 12 useable, Tesla battery is $15k. Far as I know worth nothing at end of life and may even incur a disposal / Recycling fee.

Of course the thing with big batterys is they aren't much good without a big solar system to keep them charged.
This is the other thought with my solar Obsession.  If I ever do decide to go off grid, I'll have shiploads of solar in place to keep us in power. My record Generation now is 87Kwh and I have added about 10Kwh more panels since then. Hopefully break 100 Kwh this summer.
 Might take a LOT of re wiring for off grid although I think fathers neighbours charger/ inverter can go up to 150V input to charge his 48V system. We should have adequate power all year round in an off grid setup long as we go non electric heating.

That said, I still have more than half the house roof available for extra panels! .... and 1/3rd of the shed come to think of it! :0)

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 03, 2020, 08:03:45 AM »
Had the new array hooked up today. Pretty clear day, a little haze but not a lot.
Best I saw out of the new 6.2Kw array was 4.2 Kw. Bit down on what I was hoping for but probably just the time of year.
I plugged another array in with that one and had the inverter maxing out, just, most of the day.

I hooked up another 4Kw inverter and went through all my now numerous string connections and marked them with voltage and power output so I could best group them together and optimise the power generation.  That was worthwhile as it allowed me to pick up a fair bit of power by matching the various arrays and also gave me a heads up as to how different ones are performing and where I can add in panels to get similar groups to put together on the high end. I have a fair few arrays now so I might look at going from 8 panel strings to 12 to get the voltage up and the the amount of inputs down.  That will give me some over clocking on the individual trackers but not too much clipping. It is also well within the voltage limits for the inputs of 500V.  12 on the 250W panels I have is 360V VMP.

The other thing I saw is I still have bit of a feed in imbalance between the phases.  I'll move one of the 4 Kw Inverters tomorrow onto the the Number 2 Phase as it's still lagging behind a bit. The other north array is on the shed and that pumps a fair bit of power back boosting that phase.  I could switch phases at the meter but I don't want to do that as it changes everything else on the circuit and will create an imbalance on the circuit loading and I can't switch to the other phase as it's only a Light circuit and typically for this place done cheap with 1.5 instead of 2.5 Wire.  Easier to just change the inverter connection at my solar input point.

Reorganised all the DC inputs all on the inverter to better match them up and around lunchtime was making a bit over 13 Kw all up.  At 2.30 was still making 12 Kw with the 5Kw Inverter already at 22kwh generation. It finished up an impressive 28.4 Kwh for the day.
All up I managed 62.6 Kwh for the day. That's a good 15Kwh+ on what I have been averaging and my other north inverter was down a couple of Kwh substantiating my hazy day observation.

Pretty pleased with that output for the worst solar generation time of the year here.
Although yesterday was pretty warm as was the night, we actually made a fair bit more power than we used yesterday and that was with my daughter running the clothes dryer for hours.  At least she has the sense to open the Laundry door into the house to make benefit of the heat.

Having the north array is a definite winner. With so much of the other arrays all being west and not kicking in till late in the morning, this one evens things out a lot.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 03, 2020, 05:13:16 PM »
Safety Zealots please note approved safety harness and full PPE ( May be hard to make out in pic but trust  and spare me, it's there. Really!)

Those "Tree Camo" hard-hats really blend in well, don't they?  ;D ;D

Nice work, though, that's a really classy looking setup.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.