Puppeteer

Author Topic: Blasphemy..... Solar power.  (Read 102154 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: Blasphemy..... Solar power.
« Reply #480 on: July 04, 2020, 03:59:23 AM »
Those "Tree Camo" hard-hats really blend in well, don't they?  ;D ;D

They sure Do! Wouldn't even know I was wearing one would you? They are military surplus Kevlar and exceed all Civilian specs that's why I got one.
Remember, safety 3rd!

Reminds me of a mate that was going off his nut about almost being reported for not wearing a hard hat on the job.
He was doing core samples in the Middle of 4 sq acres of land in an industrial area. Not  a thing taller than gravel for hundreds of meters in any direction. They were doing some geological ultra sound testing where they had some probes in the ground and they sat there under a pop up canopy as it was summer while the thing pinged away and gave them readings.

Some Gubbermint safety inspector that was driving past hundereds of meters away and came over and was reading him and the other guy the riot act for not wearing hard hats and was going to fine the company ( which he owned) Thousands of Dollars.  He pointed out to the safety bitch that were was nothing around for hundreds of meters as the land had been dozed and sitting there and because they were constantly bending down to the probes the hats fell off all the time.  He said the greatest probability of anything falling on them was a meteorite and a hard hat wouldn't do much good for that anyway.  He said we are in the middle of nothing, WTF do you think is going to fall on us?

She was adamant they were in breach of OH&S and was going to issue a fine till the other guy whipped out his phone and started taking pictures of safety bitch. When she asked why he was photographing her, he replied so I can report you for coming on site without Proper safety gear. She said she had on a hard hat, safety glasses, and high vis vest.  He asked if her open toe, strappy elevated heel shoes were approved for worksites because he thought not.

Mate told her straight out, you want to keep your job, piss off and you ever set foot on any site I'm on again and go on with this bullshit, we will report you and make a big deal out of it.

They laughed her off site but the next day got a sidewall for their canopy so they couldn't be seen from the road or where anyone else was as they moved around the site.

I have seen guys mowing the grass here on the side of the road and on football grounds wearing hard hats. Got to follow the rules no matter how inappropriate or stupid.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 04, 2020, 04:12:12 AM »

Been watching the Inverter the new array is on today and got a slightly better result at 4.3 kw  Looks like that's what it's going to do for now.
Not to worry. Plenty of arrays to plug in with it and bring the inverter up to full tilt.

I was going to put the other inverter on the other phase today but I had a couple of people come this morning to buy panels I have been wheeling and dealing and I don't want to shut it all down when it's making so much Juice. If it's not too cold later I'll do it then when the inverters are making nothing. I like to shut it down at the main board and at the sub board which takes everything on the solar circuit out so I'll wait till there is nothing to loose.

It was cold here last night so we ran the AC on the thermostat on and off all night and all had showers so I expect we pulled a fair bit of power. If we break even today, I'll be real happy. Another beautiful winters day so will be interesting to see what the best case winter generation scenario is now.  Still have another 2Kw of panels to put up from the ground array which will be just moving them to a slightly less ideal spot but I'm also planning on take a few KW down which are in low winter producing places Locations.
 They don't do much in winter and in summer I don't need them at all. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2020, 09:03:22 AM »

Turned out a GOOD day today.  74.6 Kwh!  The new array with the smaller west array on the same inverter did 30.2 KWh on it's own.
Very happy with that.  It's the sort of generation I have been wanting for winter.

With the heavy power draw we had last night, I was only 2 Kwh down on what we made so here, cost me about .58C for power yesterday.
The new array made me over $9 worth of power on it's own. Full cost for the power we used in the last 24 Hours would have been about $21.56.
Multiply that out by a quarter as we are Billed and it adds up to about $2k which was about what we were paying before my solar Proclivity and obsession.  Many people round here are paying $5K a year in power if they don't have solar. The penetration of solar installs is high in the area and the cost of power for heating and cooling these big places plus probably 40% have pools is another factor.

I reckon I have spent about $2500 in total so far on the solar setups but now I'm making money back selling used panels and inverters so that's actually coming down.  It's certainly returned it's investment many times over.

I just picked up another 16x 190W panels I got for nothing.  They are all quite good panels so should be able to sell them for around $400 or so. Still have about 80 panels here atm but I hope to sell 20 tomorrow and I'll be taking 25 North on Monday as I have already sold them where my father is. They sell really well in the country because there is not the availability there like there is here.
I didn't get to change the inverter over as I went to get the other panels and it's freezing here tonight. Not a problem, I'm still making better power than I anticipated.

I sold 13 panels Today. 1 to a very nice young chap who was putting it on his brilliantly set up camper ute.  Didn't want the $5 change I owed him as he felt guilty about running late and mucking me round.  We were talking about how he was going to mount them and said how expensive the solar Brackets were.  He showed me his power setup and his Fridge and little oven in the back and said how he was going to set up the panel. While he was strapping the panel down, I wandered up the back, got him 8 Brackets, a pair of Connectors and cut him about 3 M of solar cable.   Took it all back down to him and said here you go, this might come in handy. Guy was stoked and asked how much he owed me?
I said you already paid mate, you did the right thing by me, I have the pleasure of doing the right thing by you.

I sold another 12 to an old guy who wants to beef up his system he has.

This little endeavour is certainly giving me some exercise. I sorted all the panels I have today plus loading others I probably moved about 100 Of the things.  At around 20 Kg ea, they are a good workout for a fat ol bugger like me.

Tomorrow if all goes well I should be handling about another 45 between selling them and loading them to take up north.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
Don't forget about that container load for Ed, of which I would hope to buy a few ;D. Also, while you're on the roof, clean those bloody leaves out of your gutters  :police:

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »

There are actually people here trying to buy container loads to send them to the middle east especially.  You'd get a LOT of panels even in a 20 Footer.

As for the leaves..... Ugggh!
Sometimes I literally go round the house and clean them out every week and the gutters are still full of them.
Right now the back yard is so soft thanks to the rain we have had, even the little tractor sinks in  when you go across it.  The front lawn however is rock hard and brown from a lack of water.  That tree sucks massive amounts of water every day.  Virtually impossible to keep up with it's water demand it uses to grow enough leaves to keep my gutters endlessly full. 

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 05, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
I know what you mean.  I do maintenance at a fancy holiday house here in Plett and they have a massive Milkwood tree in their front garden.  It constantly sheds leaves on the roof, which block about 30m of gutters regularly.  On top of that, it sheds small black berries, which cover the wooden deck.  These things are incredibly sticky and when you stand on one it leaves a purple stain every time you put your foot down.  To top it all off, these trees are a protected species and one may not even lop off a branch without a million permits. 

Back to topic, your setup is looking good.  When summer comes you can supply the whole neighbourhood with power.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 05, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »

I have been trying to think of an energy intensive small  seasonal business I could do in the summer.  Was wondering how much investment and space as well as demand  there would be with doing party Ice?

Crypto Mining may have been good had I not been 2 years or so late.  :0(

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 14, 2020, 03:18:27 AM »

Looks like I have a new enterprise, Uused panel sales.

I have been wheeling and dealing with them a bit in the last fortnight- 3 weeks and done over $2800 in sales and $2400+ in net profit.
Taken 2 loads up the country to my father place and sold them all and came back with orders for another loads worth plus 2 Inverters.

I had an ad going to sell them at home and got a couple of tyre Kickers.  For whatever reason, Friday and Saturday I had an avalanche of very Keen buyers wanting to buy all I had. Of course a couple were offering a lot below asking price.  When I said  they were all sold at the asking price and just arranging pickup, I got offers to pay above!  That surprised me.  ATM I could sell another 125 Panels if I had them tomorrow.

Hasn't taken long to work out the key to this market.  There is a definite price point where just below you will get a lot of interest and at or above that price point, you will get none.  I have Offered a Number of people panels at that price point where I can source panels and make something out of them but so far Zero interest.  Go just below that price point even with smaller panels and I can sell them no problem.

Sourcing panels is going to be the key to this.  There are plenty out there but I never cease to be utterly amazed at the prices people are asking for them. I recently contacted a few people and asked what they based their price point on. All seemed to take offence ranting and raving they were worth it even though a couple have been advertising them for several months.
I advertise mine for days and they are not only gone but I have people wanting more!

I have sold over 60 panels in the last fortnight.

I have a couple of ideas in mind for sourcing panels which hopefully work out. I know there are a lot of other people looking for them to send OS.  I'm confident I can go the extra mile and use some skills and knowledge they won't have to my benefit.

So far the people I have sold them 2 have been good to deal with... But there is always an exception.....
An old guy in the country ordered 6 and wanted to wheel and deal. That's OK, He read the ad wrong and ended up paying full price.  Geez I earned it.

Came to collect them on an overcast day.  Where I had them in the truck was also in a shaded area behind distant trees.  Gets out a Multimeter and voltage tests them and complains they a . XX of a volt off. I stand there quietly shaking my head.  after going through them all he gets his Daughter to hold them and shorts the leads and puts a clamp meter on them.  after the 3rd one he's Bitching how little output they have.

I point out it's winter, an over cast day, they are shadowed by trees and his Daughter he brought with him, is standing in front of the things completely blocking the light to at least 50% of them. He tells the daughter to stand aside and then complains they still aren't doing rated amps. I explain it to him and he's still going on like I'm trying to rip him off.  I'm getting the shits at having to deal with a moron now.
I told him, OK, You think they are all faulty, don't buy them, I have another guy coming this afternoon that wanted 8 more but I couldn't fit them all on, he's bought from me 2 weeks ago and more than happy with them, No problems, thanks for coming.

Then the idiot starts going about " Coming all this way" ( which I later found out was no more than 15 Min) and not wanting to waste his time.  I said there is only one decision, yes or no but I'd actually prefer you don't take them because this is getting all too hard already.
He said he was a gambling man and would take the risk but if they wern't right I'd be getting them back. I said no I won't. I said firstly there are not returns, No bitching and no sale. 

I happen to look at the clamp meter he's holding and I ask where did you get that from, Ebay? He says yes. I said do you actually know anything about electricity, solar or anything else related? I get toll all about the 48 panels he already has and how he built all the system and how much power it does and yes, He does know what he is doing thank you very much.  I ask If I may see the meter please? Sure enough, it's a Cheap arse Clamp meter that does AC only. I point that out and it couldn't possibly measure the amperage of the panels anyway and clearly he didn't have a clue what he was doing or talking about.

Now I really have the shits  and tell him I'm not going through all this for a few panels I can sell this afternoon to someone that will thank me for them not whinge before they even own them because they have no clue and are making out I'm some sort of con man.
 Good bye.
I walk off into the shed shaking my head.

Daughter comes after me and starts apologising and telling me it's her Dads way etc.  My father comes out the workshop and says I have to deal with people like that all the time and I can't take it anymore thats why I'm closing up, You are lucky you are dealing with him because I would have told the sill old bastard to piss off 20 minutes ago.  He looks at me and says don't bother with him, If the guy this afternoon doesen't want them, I'll buy them off you rather than listen to that silly old bugger carrying on.  He said what is the matter with them, he doesen't know how to measure them properly?  I shake my had and say I don't know what he's thinking. 
Dad Looks at daughter and says sorry he can't help you, best you find someone else that can.

Daughter goes over, Gets money off father who gives it to her as if he's counting out $100K bills  and she comes back and gives me the money. I don't take it and say once they leave here he owns them and I don't care what happens, you own them and the sale is final.  She says that's fine, sorry for the trouble.  I look at my father and say I thought you were a handful at times  and look back at the girl and say you are more patient than I am that's for sure!

Next I watch them Loading in their trailer. I try to point out how I do it  and he doesen't need the pumps of cardboard between which will put pressure them he's loading face to face.  Old guy makes some comment that what I suggested sounds questionable. I point to the 21 panels still in the Ute and tell him this is the 5th lot I have brought up there 400Km from home and never had a damaged one yet but what would I know?  I then get told all about his setup and how he's done it all himself and .....zzzzzzzz.

Daughter asks me some things and tells me he using the panels with a battery to offset his power usage. Old guy proudly tells me he's just spent $10k on a new Lithium battery pack and some more thousands on inverters and management systems etc.  I find out they have grid power and this is just to save them money. I ask pretty much knowing what the answer will be and yes, the average bill he's trying to save on is Chicken Feed.
Quick mental calculation tells me unless the old guy lives about another 50 years and all the equipment lasts that long, he's going to be way behind the 8 ball.  Daughter looks at me and says that's what I have been trying to tell him!

Finally they leave but not before Daughter has to crawl through the car to the back of the wagon where the old Codger has left his keys and locked the tailgate.

I see the guy calling me about 2 hours later and I answer thinking he's going to be bitching about something. No, he just wants to know If I have any connection cables.  I said no, I just get panels. He said well you said you just did another array, what did you use? I said I got the cable and connectors and made the leads up myself as I wanted them.  He said Oh, I have been buying them from ebay. I said geez, I'm not that rich to be able to afford what they want. He said that's why I thought I'd ask if you have them? He said would you make me some up and sell them to me if I gave you the measurement? I said yeah but all my stuff is at home and you'll have to wait a month for me to bring them back.

Surprisingly and thankfully, he didn't want to wait.

I know you can't expect to have it all Champagne and roses but that guy ought to cover the down side of this for at least the next 6 months I hope!