Puppeteer

Author Topic: DC Dynastart  (Read 7019 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
DC Dynastart
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »
Hi All

With the end of the colder weather and the skiing, well here in the Pyrenees anyway, the 'Honey Do' list appears, at the moment It don't look too long so after I sort out the Mccormick 434, new liners and crank, the CS is next in line.....................

I've rounded up most of the bits and have made a start on the chassis, next is to find a gen head and hopefully some form of electric starter.

As there will be a spare flywheel, on one side or the other it seems a waste not to drive a 12v alternator or two were my initial thoughts, then I wondered about driving a 12v dc motor as a generator, and using it as a starter, which can't be too far away from the 'Startomatic' concept.

So....

Has it been done?

Can it be done? 

What size (hp) motor should I look for, and would I have to go to 24v to make it practical?

Would the electrical connection be beyond my modest means? - I can cope with solenoids transformers and diodes, anything attached to a pcb is beyond me (well at this stage!)

I've seen a couple of threads where guys have used golf buggy motors and a friction drive, is there anything else on the site I've missed?

All thoughts, help, ideas and support are as welcome as always

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: DC Dynastart
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
Those golf cart motors work fine as starters and then battery chargers (when spun above 1500 rpm). They can just be belted to one of your flywheels so no need for additional engage/disengage hardware. I believe that a 12volt version is good enough for most installs.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

guest23837

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:30 PM »
The old VW beetle's had a dynastart system

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
Thanks for that guys

Looks like the way to go. I just need time to get there!!

I didn't know about VW's having dynastarts, lots of other interesting stuff had them back in the day.

Back when the lights were oil fired, the boats made of wood and the men of iron!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 04:16:49 AM »
The old VW beetle's had a dynastart system

When did VW use dynastart?

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:40:22 AM »
I know the early 60's VW beetles imported into the US did not...they had a brushed DC generator and a conventional starter gear ring and Bendix style starter. One of these was my first car, which I restored in 1970 and 1971.

I don't think the late 50's models did either, as I remember them.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
I first learned how to mechanic on the Volkswagens. Built many of them up from the ground and became quite expert on them over a dozen years or so. Could build the engines practically with my eyes closed.

It is interesting to me that Lister had an ongoing strong relationship with Volkswagen Industrial Engines up until very recent times. L/P Americas kept an extensive library of VW sales and service literature in their operations rivaling anything I've seen outside of the VW factory.

Never heard of nor saw the type of starting system referred to here. I pretty much know their mechanical details and history back into the 1950's when first imported in quantity into the USA. They had 6volt dc starters and separate brushed generators in the US models back then - (until about 1965 when they changed over to 12volt). I am not aware of what they might have had in the 1940s though, nor what might have been a trial or prototype for other parts of the world.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:48:33 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
I worked for VW as a mechanic for a few years did the line work and engine and trans rebuild  and the industrial side and never saw any thing but the conventional starter set up and there were hand crank stuff to put more than one engine in the trunk of my car went to the airport went to god knows where and changed it   

guest23837

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »
MY mistake gentlemen, there was a car called Bond years ago, it had a motorbike type engine and a dynastart and a kick start. These were small handmade cars in the UK. Volvo marine diesels had a dynastart I believe?

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
@Dieselspanner
Check this link for a nice golf cart starter/generator install. I think I found it on another LEF thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbcbuygYJdM

Using currently an automotive starter with friction wheel at this link http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6790.0
   I have been using one of these friction starters for a couple of years. Works OK except when the flywheel is wet from fog or has ice on it from
   freezing fog.
   The iced up flywheel shut me down for a few days this past winter. Had a very hard time hand cranking in those conditions, preheating the 
   intake with a torch was an absolute necessity, and I am too old for that amount of effort!

Finally got the bits together for a starter/generator set-up, and am planning to put the system together this summer. I got the idea from the above youtube link. It is pretty simple, using a Yamaha 20A starter/generator, a mechanical voltage regulator, and a continuous duty solenoid.

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 04:24:40 AM »
MY mistake gentlemen, there was a car called Bond years ago, it had a motorbike type engine and a dynastart and a kick start. These were small handmade cars in the UK. Volvo marine diesels had a dynastart I believe?

You are forgiven but don't let it happen more than another million or o times  its easy to get things mixed up and the older I get the easier it is.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
Great video, Hugh, thanks.  Someone did some very nice engineering on that Listeroid.  The DC starter/generator was sweet.

guest23837

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »

You are forgiven but don't let it happen more than another million or o times  its easy to get things mixed up and the older I get the easier it is.

I'm living with my mistakes, you should see the wife!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »
Thanks for that, Hugh.

Exactly where I'd like to end up..

The way this week has gone it may be some time....

Paul. going off topic is on thing, trusting your Mrs. don't follow this thread is another!!!

Cheers

Stef