Puppeteer

Author Topic: Promotion!  (Read 17786 times)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Promotion!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 10:31:27 PM »
We bought a new fridge recently having looked at several. All of them had a little rack for eggs with ten holes. Eggs are sold in dozens so whats with the 10 holes?

Metric chickens????

Cheers,
Hugh
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 12:58:09 AM »
We bought a new fridge recently having looked at several. All of them had a little rack for eggs with ten holes. Eggs are sold in dozens so whats with the 10 holes?

Metric chickens????

Ha! That's the first thing that I thought of.

guest23837

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »
Metric eggs and chickens eh lol I never thought of that!

In Ireland we have had the metric system for years however it seems to be more an official thing and with younger people. People still talk of miles, yards, feet and inches, buy in pounds and ounces etc. We have the dreadful Euro but people still talk about needing a few pounds (£) to do whatever is a priority. Cars are still happily doing MPG rather than the odd looking L/100KM.
When I started school it was pre-decimal we learned to count in pounds, shillings and pence, money seems to have more buying power when I was growing up. Then decimal currency came in. I moved to Ireland which had decimal system until they adopted the Euro. €50.00 is half a days pay for many people here and it goes nowhere. Progress eh~?

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 07:13:43 PM »
Metric eggs and chickens eh lol I never thought of that!

In Ireland we have had the metric system for years however it seems to be more an official thing and with younger people. People still talk of miles, yards, feet and inches, buy in pounds and ounces etc. We have the dreadful Euro but people still talk about needing a few pounds (£) to do whatever is a priority. Cars are still happily doing MPG rather than the odd looking L/100KM.
When I started school it was pre-decimal we learned to count in pounds, shillings and pence, money seems to have more buying power when I was growing up. Then decimal currency came in. I moved to Ireland which had decimal system until they adopted the Euro. €50.00 is half a days pay for many people here and it goes nowhere. Progress eh~?

Same here in Canada......Officially metric, but in the grocery stores, thing are weighed in pounds rather than kilos.......makes them look less expensive.
Fuel is sold by litre, makes it look less expensive than by gallon (Imperial gallon at that) We still talk of miles per gallon, though that would be U.S. gallon rather than Imperial gallon. Go to the building supply and you still buy in inches and feet, metric fasteners are a specialty item......gets confusing at times as to what measurements are being used.
Our currency is dollars, but that's Canadian dollars. Causes no end of talk about high prices by U.S. visitors, as it takes about 1.3 of our dollars to make 1 of theirs........it all looks very expensive to them, they bitch.
At the end of the day, no matter what the situation is prices up, purchasing power down........no matter what the official line about near zero inflation.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

guest23837

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 07:16:21 AM »
Yes that does sound a little confusing but probably more so to an outsider. You often hear gaelic football commemnators say something like the ball fell 4 feet past the 65 meter line