Puppeteer

Author Topic: still trying to get decent power out of my new alt- with o-scope on it now  (Read 11056 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
so, got a new ST3Kw (have asked and taken advice in other threads)

hooked an oscilloscope up, still confused of course.

I did calibrate the scope by using my house power and getting the wave all normal and in the screen, centered on the center, etc.

First, check out this short video of the thing running with no load, with a 10mfd capacitor connected:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H466Ff8wG0E 

check out the crazy inconsistency.

took the capacitor off and hooked up a space heater.  the wave calmed down, but had a weird jagged bit:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b8xN2BSH9V4/Vt8R2qiW-ZI/AAAAAAAAGvA/7rQFgwlkIHo/s1600/alt-with-heater.png 

I'm just trying to get this thing to push power into my outback inverter charger, and the charger won't take it!
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

BruceM

• View Profile
You need to change the vertical scale so the entire waveform is visible.  The analog scope can't sync properly as you have it set up.  Your 1st waveform is in fact virtually identical to the second.  I can comment further when you have a full wave visible. 

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
You may have to change (relax) the settings in the Outback, so that it can qualify the generator & ST3.  You have to widen the frequency range at the very least.

tyssniffen

• View Profile
You may have to change (relax) the settings in the Outback, so that it can qualify the generator & ST3.  You have to widen the frequency range at the very least.

are you saying there's a setting on the Outback that would allow for a greater range in Hertz that would be acceptable?

the outback - inverter- has no problem when I hook up a little gas gen... so I'm hesitant to mess with its settings.
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
there should be a way to change the acceptance range.  I can do  it on my XW. Outback claims to do the same,  you may need a mate ot hub to accomplish it.

Outback owners - speak up !

tyssniffen

• View Profile
there should be a way to change the acceptance range.  I can do  it on my XW. Outback claims to do the same,  you may need a mate ot hub to accomplish it.

Outback owners - speak up !

I know there IS a way, I was just trying to clarify which aspect of *what to accept* you were talking about.   what I have investigated is turning down the accepted AMPS... though I have yet to do the test.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
you need to adjust the Generator Qualification settings, Voltage window and Frequency window.   52 - 67 Hz (or whatever you choose) and 95-130 Volts
Factory settings are likely only a few Hz wide, same with the volts.
I'm on travel right now, wife is running the system in my absence, I topped off the battery water before I left and she's in charge - just like normal !
I'll look up my settings when I get back after easter and if I remember to see this thread

tyssniffen

• View Profile
another attempt at showing the wave:

https://youtu.be/OD1t3z0HTBY    no load, no capacitor.

BruceM

• View Profile
Much better on the oscilloscope this time. 
Your ST has pronounced "ratcheting"; some have this more than others.  It should be less pronounced with load. 

tyssniffen

• View Profile
Much better on the oscilloscope this time. 
Your ST has pronounced "ratcheting"; some have this more than others.  It should be less pronounced with load. 

can you explain why it does that? what is happening?

do you think that by having a load on it, that will smooth out?  then when I start the 'real' load (the house) I could take off the initial load?  or do I have to keep them both on?
would multiple capacitors help?