Author Topic: Newbie, looking to determine engine value  (Read 5714 times)

seashells

• View Profile
Newbie, looking to determine engine value
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:51:37 PM »
Looking at engines, I ran across a New GM 90 6/1. Whats a fair price for this engine? I have done some reading here and it seems they are balanced and also have an oil pump VS splash lube only.  Opinions? Thanks

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Newbie, looking to determine engine value
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 12:18:13 AM »
As far as Listeroids go, they are OK. We prefer designs closer to original (clones). Location means a lot for determining value, the fundamentals can be based on current costs for the same thing from India.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

seashells

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 02:07:06 AM »
I'm located in the US, so an original Lister CS is unlikely to happen

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 03:22:51 AM »
seashells,

I have a Listeroid GM90 6/1 and I am very happy with it.
I have had several Listeroids and this one is the best quality of the bunch.
A big advantage that these engines have is the crank driven oil pump which feeds the con rod bearing with pressurized oil.
I imported and sold about 10 of these engines a few years back. They sold for between $1400 CAD and $1700 CAD depending on options (some had electric start).
I would not have any reservations buying on of those.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

cheers,
Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »
As far as I can tell the quality of the various  GM90 type engines is same as any other Indian engine, spotty.  That particular engine may be a good one or it may be a turd. "balanced" in India  means they drilled some holes in the flywheels but same as everything else they attempt the holes may or may not be in the right place.  Personally I am a fan of the "clones" that Gary mentioned because parts will always be available for them.  The various simplified or modified versions such as the GM 90 have many parts that are specific to them.   I think Veggie hit the price pretty close, If I was buying it $1500 tops.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »

I agree with 38ac.
Being of Indian origin they all have an issue here and there.
Be prepared to do some tinkering and adjusting like any other Listeroid.

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

seashells

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
I am going into this prepared and ready to do a tear down of any engine I buy. I would rather find something unused, than an engine that may be worn or have parts that need to be replaced and located. Am I looking at this the right way? or should I be looking for a used engine as I'm gonna tear it down anyway?

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
I long for the "good 'ol days" when a 6/1 could be imported for a few hundred bucks.

However, the reality is, Listeroids and their variants have gone way up in price. Listeroids are currently priced similarly to modern, emissions compliant engines, when compared per HP.

Certainly, a well designed modern engine can be a better choice for many people that have significant power needs. In my case, my 20/2 is nowhere near as reliable as a modern 20HP diesel. Nor is it as efficient.

The advantages of these old engines might be ease of maintenance, robust construction, hand crank, and superb fuel consumption under low load conditions. It's not unusual to see a 6/1 configured to consume about a pint per hour under low loads and at low RPM.

This is where the 6/1 and 8/1 make sense (at least to me) . Few commercial diesels are that low in HP, and therefore, the commercial products burn more fuel under low load conditions.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 03:25:44 PM »
I couldn't imagine having a modern engin yes it's a pain to have to work on the Roid so often. This time round I got 1800 her before needing decarboning about 6 months or 6 45 gal barrel of veg oil. I'm sure no other engin would be able to burn wvo so efficiently as a Roid. And with out wvo I wouldn't be able to afford to use it as my main source of power in our long Canadian winter. Since sept I have burned 350 gal in the Roid , and have figured how to heat my dog kennel and house with wvo adding another 200 gal to the mix. With that said I'm thinking of hooking up to the grid I'm approaching the age where this stuff is getting harder to do every year and if anything happened to me my wife would lost as to power production.

X
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer