Author Topic: SR2...just picked up another one.... :-)  (Read 9756 times)

quinnbrian

• View Profile
SR2...just picked up another one.... :-)
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:41:17 PM »
Hello everyone,
Just picked up another SR2. My first one runs my off grid home. The one I just picked up, is a little different.... It has the spin on oil filter, and what looks like part of the auto, stop??/start switch, an oil pressure switch and maybe a temp switch? And it has a factory fuel pump!! on the side of the block. It was part of a genset...but someone remove the generator end...was I told it didn't work and was scraped!!!for the copper :-( ....Wish I had it...Anyways the serial number is :4605SR2A22. When I picked it up today, the guy I bought it off of started it in reverse.... Doesn't say it's a reverse rotation. If I'm right the build date is 1968?? My newer SR2 (1972) has the older style oil replacement element...not the spin on filter like this one...anyone have any idea why?
It has the starter ring gear on it, and I'd like to have electric start. Does anyone of know where I can find the adapter and starter . I would like to have the generator head as it was...but I think that, that would be a lot to ask for.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers
Brian
I'm going to try to post picks,...It a little dark(Late day), so sometime next weekend...if I can get it to work.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: SR2...just picked up another one.... :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:30:36 AM »
You can use a Delco spacer with 10 tooth drive starter of the correct (anti-clockwise) rotation. Those usually had Prestolite (now obsolete) or Lucas (very expensive) starters. The Delco can be found throughout the US in hundreds of different applications and a lot of the parts will interchange making them one of the more easily rebuilt and modified brands out there. They can be very rugged as well as long as you don't get one of the very cheap Mexican rebuilds... (Wilson). Contact me if you want a quote on the starter and spacer for yours.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:20 AM »
You can use a Delco spacer with 10 tooth drive starter of the correct (anti-clockwise) rotation. Those usually had Prestolite (now obsolete) or Lucas (very expensive) starters. The Delco can be found throughout the US in hundreds of different applications and a lot of the parts will interchange making them one of the more easily rebuilt and modified brands out there. They can be very rugged as well as long as you don't get one of the very cheap Mexican rebuilds... (Wilson). Contact me if you want a quote on the starter and spacer for yours.

dieselgman

Thanks dieselgman, I'm going to take a better look at everything, over the next few days...will be in contact with you.
Cheers
Brian

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:15 AM »
...the serial number is :4605SR2A22. When I picked it up today, the guy I bought it off of started it in reverse.... Doesn't say it's a reverse rotation. If I'm right the build date is 1968??

The "A" in the serial number means "anticlockwise rotation" - i.e. backwards to normal...

22 = 22 years after 1950 = manufactured in 1972.

HTH!

Here's a link to Peter's serial number decoding page for post-1951 engines: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/EngineDating/Dating5.htm
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:29:55 PM »
...the serial number is :4605SR2A22. When I picked it up today, the guy I bought it off of started it in reverse.... Doesn't say it's a reverse rotation. If I'm right the build date is 1968??

The "A" in the serial number means "anticlockwise rotation" - i.e. backwards to normal...

22 = 22 years after 1950 = manufactured in 1972.

HTH!

Here's a link to Peter's serial number decoding page for post-1951 engines: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/EngineDating/Dating5.htm

Thanks for the info AdeV. So it a 1972, so know I have to go look at my other SR2 and make sure I've got the right build date on it...because I think it's a lot older then this one. Will post serial number for the other SR2.
So I take it that generators where built on reverse rotation engines too? Does it matter, which way the motor spins....as far as the genhead goes...or do I need to find the "right" head  for this motor?
Cheers
Brian

guest23837

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
I believe the anti-clockwise engine means you can close couple the alternator. I been reading everything I can find about engines and generators as I'm trying to build one!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:12:32 AM »
Generator heads - alternators can turn either direction. The Lister industrial engines turn anti-clockwise while the marine types turn clockwise. Marine propulsion normally runs through a gearbox which reverses rotation.

dieselgman

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »
Generator heads - alternators can turn either direction. The Lister industrial engines turn anti-clockwise while the marine types turn clockwise. Marine propulsion normally runs through a gearbox which reverses rotation.

dieselgman

So what about adding a started....does it have to be anti-clockwise starter, or do i need to find a Lister genhead, with the starter built in.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 12:49:16 AM »
Yes, you must install a DC starter of the proper rotation matching your engine... they are not reversible.

dieselgman

guest23837

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 08:31:59 AM »
More bad info on the net! I read an article that said the cooling fan in an alternator only worked in a clockwise rotation

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »
Hi JD,

Depends on the shape of the blades/vanes - Straight out from the center outwards=bidirectional... If the blades are curved/slanted/pitched(As in a propeller), rotation direction makes a difference.... Also, the "air outlet" on the alt sometimes favours a single direction of rotation. As long as the brushes on the DC side of the alternator(if it is a brushed unit) are symmetrical, it doesnt generally make a big difference electrically if it is rotated in either direction. The best plan though, is to track down an original manual/reprint/scan of the instructions....

Regds
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:06 PM »
So what makes it a reverse rotation motor?? If the cooling fins on the hub are straight up and down, so cooling wouldn't be a problem. Can I just turn it in the right direction .....and will it start? Is the cam different?
Just asking, because it has the starter ring gear on the hub and I have never seen a reverse rotation starter.
So if it was the cam, that makes the engine different...just change the cam? and your turning it right again... ;D LOL that would be too easy!!
Cheers
Brian

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Most of the modern alternator cooling fans are flat blades and work in either direction... there are exceptions of course.

The Lister has cupped cooling fins that work only 1 direction, a fan housing that works only one direction, and a camshaft that opens the valves correctly in only 1 direction.  There are a few other subtleties such as ring gear teeth lead-in ramps to match the starter Bendix in use.

Starters are available in either rotation.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 10:48:22 PM »
And don't forget to swop over the exhaust and air cleaner... otherwise it will suck up all the exhaust gas in the atmosphere, unburn it,  convert it back into a mix of dino/wvo and pump it back into the tank...you will have terrible problems trying to find a tank that doesn't overflow.... ;D
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 01:40:03 AM »
I've been thinking (Danger Danger) about routing the exhaust air from the ST-5 head, thru the old radiator from the wifes honda, to save the expense/failure mode of a bad thermoswitch or electric fan.   If the belt breaks, the ST head stops, so there is only the idle 6/1 BTU load on the un-aired radiator.