How to / DIY > Generators

SR2...just picked up another one.... :-)

<< < (3/4) > >>

EdDee:
Hi JD,

Depends on the shape of the blades/vanes - Straight out from the center outwards=bidirectional... If the blades are curved/slanted/pitched(As in a propeller), rotation direction makes a difference.... Also, the "air outlet" on the alt sometimes favours a single direction of rotation. As long as the brushes on the DC side of the alternator(if it is a brushed unit) are symmetrical, it doesnt generally make a big difference electrically if it is rotated in either direction. The best plan though, is to track down an original manual/reprint/scan of the instructions....

Regds
Ed

quinnbrian:
So what makes it a reverse rotation motor?? If the cooling fins on the hub are straight up and down, so cooling wouldn't be a problem. Can I just turn it in the right direction .....and will it start? Is the cam different?
Just asking, because it has the starter ring gear on the hub and I have never seen a reverse rotation starter.
So if it was the cam, that makes the engine different...just change the cam? and your turning it right again... ;D LOL that would be too easy!!
Cheers
Brian

dieselgman:
Most of the modern alternator cooling fans are flat blades and work in either direction... there are exceptions of course.

The Lister has cupped cooling fins that work only 1 direction, a fan housing that works only one direction, and a camshaft that opens the valves correctly in only 1 direction.  There are a few other subtleties such as ring gear teeth lead-in ramps to match the starter Bendix in use.

Starters are available in either rotation.

EdDee:
And don't forget to swop over the exhaust and air cleaner... otherwise it will suck up all the exhaust gas in the atmosphere, unburn it,  convert it back into a mix of dino/wvo and pump it back into the tank...you will have terrible problems trying to find a tank that doesn't overflow.... ;D

mike90045:
I've been thinking (Danger Danger) about routing the exhaust air from the ST-5 head, thru the old radiator from the wifes honda, to save the expense/failure mode of a bad thermoswitch or electric fan.   If the belt breaks, the ST head stops, so there is only the idle 6/1 BTU load on the un-aired radiator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version